Feb 4, 2013, 9:46 PM EDT
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, left-hander Brian Burres has agreed to a contract with the Lamigo Monkeys of Taiwan’s Chinese Professional Baseball League. Yes, I’m pretty sure this is the first mention of the Lamigo Monkeys on HBT.
Burres owns a 5.75 ERA over 56 starts and 50 relief appearances in the majors, making stops with the Orioles, Pirates and Blue Jays. The 31-year-old pitched exclusively in the minors last season with the Giants’ minor league system, posting a 5.40 ERA and 63/42 K/BB ratio over 98 1/3 innings at Triple-A Fresno.
Burres hasn’t enjoyed much success until this point, but he’s still young enough where he could come back to try to pitch in the majors again someday. It might be worth the trip just for the sweet merch.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 23
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 42
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)