Feb 4, 2013, 9:46 PM EDT
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, left-hander Brian Burres has agreed to a contract with the Lamigo Monkeys of Taiwan’s Chinese Professional Baseball League. Yes, I’m pretty sure this is the first mention of the Lamigo Monkeys on HBT.
Burres owns a 5.75 ERA over 56 starts and 50 relief appearances in the majors, making stops with the Orioles, Pirates and Blue Jays. The 31-year-old pitched exclusively in the minors last season with the Giants’ minor league system, posting a 5.40 ERA and 63/42 K/BB ratio over 98 1/3 innings at Triple-A Fresno.
Burres hasn’t enjoyed much success until this point, but he’s still young enough where he could come back to try to pitch in the majors again someday. It might be worth the trip just for the sweet merch.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 0
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 22
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)