Feb 4, 2013, 9:46 PM EDT
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, left-hander Brian Burres has agreed to a contract with the Lamigo Monkeys of Taiwan’s Chinese Professional Baseball League. Yes, I’m pretty sure this is the first mention of the Lamigo Monkeys on HBT.
Burres owns a 5.75 ERA over 56 starts and 50 relief appearances in the majors, making stops with the Orioles, Pirates and Blue Jays. The 31-year-old pitched exclusively in the minors last season with the Giants’ minor league system, posting a 5.40 ERA and 63/42 K/BB ratio over 98 1/3 innings at Triple-A Fresno.
Burres hasn’t enjoyed much success until this point, but he’s still young enough where he could come back to try to pitch in the majors again someday. It might be worth the trip just for the sweet merch.
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 23
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 51
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 101
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (101)