Candlestick Park is getting blown up soon

Feb 4, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT

candlestick park

Candlestick Park, which was home to the San Francisco Giants from 1960-1999, will be no more once the San Francisco 49ers move into their new home in Santa Clara after next season.

Phillip Matier and Andrew Ross of the San Francisco Chronicle have the details:

It hosted two World Series, The Catch and the Beatles’ last concert. Now it looks like Candlestick Park will go out with a blast next year to make way for a shopping center. Plans are to blow up the 69,000-seat stadium with a 30-second implosion, possibly within weeks of the 49ers’ final touchdown next season.

Lennar Corp. is building the shopping center and president Kofi Bonner explained that “the best thing for our development and the neighborhood is not to have that hulking building sitting there empty.”

The final baseball game at Candlestick Park was played on September 30, 1999, when the Dodgers beat the Giants 9-4. San Francisco’s lineup that day included Barry Bonds, Jeff Kent, and Ellis Burks batting 3-4-5 and Raul Mondesi starred for Los Angeles.

1. historiophiliac - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

• Old Gator - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Only somebody from Detroit could confuse Candlestick Park with paradise.

• historiophiliac - Feb 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I feel like I should announce (again) that I do not live in either Detroit or Michigan…

• Old Gator - Feb 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Missed the prior announcements. Well then, only someone from Toledo….

• historiophiliac - Feb 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Getting warmer. I live in the Frying Pan.

And, living 5 hours away from the nearest MLB ballpark tends to make ANY park paradise, yes. (Although my folks have some nice stories about going to games in SF when they lived out that way.)

• umrguy42 - Feb 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Reminds me of this song, for whatever reason: http://youtu.be/lOEIRI5HSuQ

• umrguy42 - Feb 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

(A test, to see if it embeds this time)

2. mgflolox - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I was going to point out that “The Catch” actually happened at the Polo Grounds, until I remembered, of course, “The Catch” by Dwight Clark.

3. sincitybonobo - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

The Catch was in the 1954 Series and took place in the Polo Grounds.

• sincitybonobo - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Damn. You can tell I view the world through a baseball prisim. Never even thought of anything but Mays associated with The Catch. I was thinking what an awful mistake to make in a lead paragrah- especially for a locally based story.

• mgflolox - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM

S’okay, we forgive you. ;)

4. sdelmonte - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Not hugely sad to see it go as a baseball fan. The park by the cove, at least from afar, seems like a much better place to play than the Stick ever was, especially in a SF summer. (Insert Mark Twain quote about summer in SF here.)

But as a park for that other sport, it was supposedly a fine site. And I feel bad for loyal fans in SF who will now have to drive to Santa Clara after years of having a more or less local team. (I will feel the same way for A’s fans if and when the team migrates south, but it’s a lot harder to defend leaving the A’s in Oakland, alas.)

• chumthumper - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I lived in south bay in mid-70s and the Stick was terribly cold during the summer. Regardless of our tickets, wife and I kept moving with the sun. Never went to a night game. Oakland games were just a tad better.

5. jkcalhoun - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Another thing to remember that has special meaning to me personally and also to my descendants: the upper deck sections in rightfield, in spite of unsightly crumbling at the seams, as well as every other part of Candlestick withstood the Loma Prieta Earthquake well enough for us all to walk out of there. With that, to me it wasn’t ever going to be ugly anymore.

6. philliesblow - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

They aren’t going to blow it up in the usual method. The plan is to drop Jim Harbaugh in the middle of it and let him throw a temper tantrum to end all temper tantrums.

7. bayarea510 - Feb 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM

The SF Giants said they may possibly host one last SF Giants game at Candlestick before it goes Kaboom. They said it would most likely be a exhibition game though, still that’s pretty cool.

• koufaxmitzvah - Feb 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, gather your AA batteries and begin chucking.

• pandorasdadca - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:19 PM

NICE!

8. jimbo75025 - Feb 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Sigh, I for one will miss Candlestick. Saw many games there when I was traveling on business a great deal 15 years ago. One of the few stadiums left even at that time that was easily reachable within a few minutes via public transport from the business district/hotels. Cincy still is I suppose, but most newer stadiums have moved out where you have to have a car or spend 30 minutes trying to figure out how the heck to get there. Godspeed Candlestick.

9. APBA Guy - Feb 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Like the Mausoleum, the ‘Stick was a multipurpose that didn’t suit baseball all that well. I wasn’t living in SF when the Giants played there, but I made it out often enough, especially in the Summer, to see Bonds do Bondsian things.

I won’t miss it though. One trip to AT&T was all it took to consign the Stick to my memory’s dustbin. Sort of like how I felt after my first visit to Camden Yards-Memorial Stadium, what Memorial Stadium?

Hopefully they’ll do one of those cool demolitions where the building falls like dominoes, section by section. I love that stuff!

10. hojo20 - Feb 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM

A Giants game at Candlestick was in “Dirty Harry” right before the mayor was kidnapped.

11. stevincinci - Feb 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

It happens to the best of them.

12. mustbechris - Feb 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM

any chance that the giants play an exhibition game there? I wonder if that weird formerly moveable seating section is still moveable.

13. pandorasdadca - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Love it or hate it, I fell in love with baseball there. The new park is far superior in every way, but a part of me will miss The Stick when she’s gone.

14. simon94022 - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

All my early baseball memories are of the Stick, with its 1970s AstroTurf. I own a Croix de Candlestick for hanging around until the end of an extra innings night game in the early 80s. The only major league park that sold hot chocolate and Giants army blankets.

Happy personal memories of watching Mays, McCovey, Vida Blue, Jack Clark and Will Clark, and the magical seasons of 1978, 1986-87, 1989, 1993 and 1997.

But the place terrorized anyone who wasn’t a hard core fan, especially at night games. It nearly killed the Giants franchise, and I can’t shed any tears over its demise.

15. tonyz6060chevy - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Let’s not Forget that the “FOX” Dodgers had that perennial crybaby,malcontent ,Gary Sheffield on that team. He probably took the last three games off ,because without Mike Piazza and Paul Konerko, the Dodgers Sucked,and were probably way behind the Giants in 4th place!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5108)