Feb 4, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Before all the arm problems Webb had a nasty power sinker that produced tons of ground balls along with a good strikeout rate, which is a rare combination that’s essentially ideal for a pitcher. Among the 136 pitchers with at least 1,000 innings since 2000 he had the highest ground-ball rate at 64.2 percent and the lowest home run rate at 0.63 per nine innings.
That’s some serious worm-killing.
He debuted for the Diamondbacks in 2004 and posted an ERA below 3.60 in each of his first six seasons, combining to throw 1,315 innings with a 3.24 ERA during that time. And before the shoulder injury Webb was incredibly durable too, tossing an average of 227 innings per season from 2004-2008.
Unfortunately he started to show signs of being hurt in late 2008 and then was shut down after starting on Opening Day in 2009. And he never pitched in the majors again, retiring now at age 33. Webb won the Cy Young award in 2006, finished runner-up in both 2007 and 2008 … and then it was all over. Injuries suck.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Could a team that is unloading salary go nine-figures on an outfielder?
Nov 20, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Belisario served as the White Sox’s closer for part of this season.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Zeid underwent season-ending foot surgery in July.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:01 PM EST
And it’s not at all clear when or if those experiments will translate into rules changes.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:05 PM EST
Don’t bother unpacking.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:06 PM EST
With the Tigers out, the Jays are in.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
Presumed front-runners may have changed their minds.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:14 PM EST
Zimmermann has just one season remaining until he’s eligible for free agency and the 28-year-old right-hander is in line for a massive payday.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:34 AM EST
The Cuban outfielder is letting his market develop, it seems.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
For now at least there doesn’t seem to be a clear front-runner.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:23 AM EST
What’s not to like?
Nov 20, 2014, 9:24 AM EST
The new commish takes over on January 25.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EST
He was a nice pickup for the O’s last season. But do you give Delmon Young a multi-year deal?
Nov 20, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
A crappy K/BB ratio is the least of Cody Kukuk’s problems now.
Nov 20, 2014, 7:44 AM EST
No one ever asks the billionaire owners of baseball teams questions like that.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:37 PM EST
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Marlins have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with infielder Reid Brignac. The deal presumably comes with an invitation to major league spring training.
Nov 19, 2014, 9:22 PM EST
The Marlins have some money to spend, and free agent first baseman Adam LaRoche appears to be among their targets.
Nov 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
Sergio Santos had a dreadful 2014 season, posting an 8.57 ERA, 2.19 WHIP, and 29/18 K/BB ratio in 21 innings for the Blue Jays while battling a lingering right forearm issue. He’s a free agent now and will be looking to revitalize his career with any team that will have him.
Nov 19, 2014, 7:08 PM EST
From agent Marc Klingman comes word that Pat Venditte, a switch-pitcher who can throw both left-handed and right-handed, has signed a minor league contract with the Oakland A’s. The deal also carries an invitation to major league spring training.
Nov 19, 2014, 6:14 PM EST
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reported Wednesday morning that the Red Sox had made an offer to free agent starter Jon Lester. And now Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has been clued in on the terms that were presented …
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 64
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)