Feb 4, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
If I were a betting man I’d not put much down on “Jason Giambi is going to play in the big leagues in 2013.” But he’s trying. Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that “Giambi has received calls from a few teams,” but nothing is really doing.
Giambi can still get on base but his power left him last year. Given that he was already basically a pinch hitter only, there isn’t a lot of room for him on a big league roster. It’s been a nice run — a longer run than many people might have expected at one time — but I’d be shocked if Giambi isn’t cut by someone before mid-March, if he even gets a minor league deal.
In other news, Troy Renck started out that column with a Smiths reference, which there really should be more of in baseball writing.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)