Feb 4, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
If I were a betting man I’d not put much down on “Jason Giambi is going to play in the big leagues in 2013.” But he’s trying. Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that “Giambi has received calls from a few teams,” but nothing is really doing.
Giambi can still get on base but his power left him last year. Given that he was already basically a pinch hitter only, there isn’t a lot of room for him on a big league roster. It’s been a nice run — a longer run than many people might have expected at one time — but I’d be shocked if Giambi isn’t cut by someone before mid-March, if he even gets a minor league deal.
In other news, Troy Renck started out that column with a Smiths reference, which there really should be more of in baseball writing.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 9
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)