Feb 4, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
If I were a betting man I’d not put much down on “Jason Giambi is going to play in the big leagues in 2013.” But he’s trying. Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that “Giambi has received calls from a few teams,” but nothing is really doing.
Giambi can still get on base but his power left him last year. Given that he was already basically a pinch hitter only, there isn’t a lot of room for him on a big league roster. It’s been a nice run — a longer run than many people might have expected at one time — but I’d be shocked if Giambi isn’t cut by someone before mid-March, if he even gets a minor league deal.
In other news, Troy Renck started out that column with a Smiths reference, which there really should be more of in baseball writing.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)