Jason Giambi has fielded some calls

Feb 4, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

If I were a betting man I’d not put much down on “Jason Giambi is going to play in the big leagues in 2013.” But he’s trying. Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that “Giambi has received calls from a few teams,” but nothing is really doing.

Giambi can still get on base but his power left him last year. Given that he was already basically a pinch hitter only, there isn’t a lot of room for him on a big league roster. ┬áIt’s been a nice run — a longer run than many people might have expected at one time — but I’d be shocked if Giambi isn’t cut by someone before mid-March, if he even gets a minor league deal.

In other news, Troy Renck started out that column with a Smiths reference, which there really should be more of in baseball writing.

1. Francisco (FC) - Feb 4, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Jason Giambi has fielded some calls

Which is about the only thing he can field successfully these days.

• Old Gator - Feb 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM

My guess is that if the call isn’t grounded into the dugout, he won’t field those either.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Jason Giambi has fielded some calls

…then promptly short-armed them into short left-center field.

3. yankeepunk3000 - Feb 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I hope he gets a deal worked out. Growing up watching the As and Yankees my favorite player was for well over a decade Giambi. His ability to hit for power and see the ball with his walk rate was great. Got his signature a couple times and always seem like a good guy. I’m gonna miss him in the bigs even when he was colorado I would catch a bunch of games to see his grey hair get a chance to hit. Giambino, I will never forget you.

4. bigharold - Feb 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

He might not have the power he once had but I’d rather the Yankees had signed him than Hafner. Hafner isn’t exactly an iron man and Giambi’s OBP is better.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3819)