Feb 4, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
It’s that time again: the week when Keith Law releases his prospect rankings. His content this week — along with Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com’s rankings and a couple of other lists — truly helps form the basis of most fans’ understanding of prospects and the minors in general. Because let’s face it, we just don’t get to see those folks as much as they do.
Law kicks off his content this week with a top-to-bottom ranking of all 30 farm systems. As a rule he limits his analysis to players who are currently in minors and who have not yet exhausted their rookie of the year eligibility.
The top system: the St. Louis Cardinals. The bottom: The Los Angeles Angels. The reasons and the rankings of everyone in between: you’ll have to get an ESPN Insider subscription to find out.
Which, yes, I know, no one likes to pay for content. I don’t either. But I have found that Law’s annual prospects stuff — which I go back and reference dozens of times throughout the year — along with Buster Olney’s daily column/links post is worth the subscription if you’re a true baseball freak. So, if you have the means, definitely consider it.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)