Feb 4, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal’s Twitter avatar used to be a picture of him with the Phillie Phanatic. He made that his avatar over a year ago after a bunch of Philly fans gave him crap for being (mildly at best) critical of the Phillies and their fans.
Over the weekend some Nationals fan asked Rosenthal to consider changing his avatar to something Nats-related. Which he did. It’s a pic of Rosenthal photoshopped into a racing presidents picture. As demonstrated over at the Let Teddy Win blog, this set off Phillies fans. And it set them off in predictable fashion.
People ask me why I needle Phillies and, increasingly, Nats fans so often. The fact that both camps have people who care what a baseball writer’s Twitter avatar is a big reason why.
And yes, I realize that approximately 60% of the comments to this post will be “well, at least we care about our team! You Braves fans wharglebarglebarglebllaaaahrrrghh!!!”
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 0
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (78)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)