Feb 4, 2013, 9:46 AM EST
Not as some philosophical subject, but a a DH: Terry Pluto reports that, in the wake of Travis Hafner heading to New York, the Indians are still considering the 42 year-old Jim Thome for their DH/tater-mashing job.
Thome hit .252/.344/.442 with eight homers, 25 RBI and a .786 OPS in 186 plate appearances with Philly and Baltimore last year, but he also suffered from some back and neck injuries that he now claims are healed.
More interesting fodder from that article: Pluto reminds us that Manny Ramirez — who some Tribe fans would like to see back in Cleveland — will be paid $13 million by baseball teams this year. $11 million he’s still owed from the Dodgers and $2 million from the Red Sox who are paying him deferred money for 25 years going back to his last deal there.
Just a little factoid to keep in your back pocket to aggravate your anti-Manny friends at some point later this year.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 41
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)