Feb 4, 2013, 9:46 AM EST
Not as some philosophical subject, but a a DH: Terry Pluto reports that, in the wake of Travis Hafner heading to New York, the Indians are still considering the 42 year-old Jim Thome for their DH/tater-mashing job.
Thome hit .252/.344/.442 with eight homers, 25 RBI and a .786 OPS in 186 plate appearances with Philly and Baltimore last year, but he also suffered from some back and neck injuries that he now claims are healed.
More interesting fodder from that article: Pluto reminds us that Manny Ramirez — who some Tribe fans would like to see back in Cleveland — will be paid $13 million by baseball teams this year. $11 million he’s still owed from the Dodgers and $2 million from the Red Sox who are paying him deferred money for 25 years going back to his last deal there.
Just a little factoid to keep in your back pocket to aggravate your anti-Manny friends at some point later this year.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (118)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)