Feb 4, 2013, 9:46 AM EDT
Not as some philosophical subject, but a a DH: Terry Pluto reports that, in the wake of Travis Hafner heading to New York, the Indians are still considering the 42 year-old Jim Thome for their DH/tater-mashing job.
Thome hit .252/.344/.442 with eight homers, 25 RBI and a .786 OPS in 186 plate appearances with Philly and Baltimore last year, but he also suffered from some back and neck injuries that he now claims are healed.
More interesting fodder from that article: Pluto reminds us that Manny Ramirez — who some Tribe fans would like to see back in Cleveland — will be paid $13 million by baseball teams this year. $11 million he’s still owed from the Dodgers and $2 million from the Red Sox who are paying him deferred money for 25 years going back to his last deal there.
Just a little factoid to keep in your back pocket to aggravate your anti-Manny friends at some point later this year.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 0
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 53
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)