Feb 4, 2013, 1:31 PM EST
If you thought we were past the Golden Age of Derek Jeter Deification, well, you just haven’t read Bob Raissman’s latest column in the Daily News. He has a suggestion as to how the Yankees can get past the latest A-Rod PED scandal:
The captain’s presence and persona are uplifting. They can cleanse any muck surrounding the organization. In order for fans to keep the faith, they need a reason to believe, a face they can trust. Jeter, the transcendent one, is that man.
If there is any doubt as to Raissman’s feelings here, note that in the previous paragraph he referred to Jeter as a “savior.” I’m assuming his first draft had “the” instead of “a” and capitalized “savior,” but it really doesn’t have to. He also recommends that the Yankees start working on a contract extension for Jeter now, with “face of the franchise” kickers. He suggests Jeter storylines should be pushed “ad nauseum.”
That’s well and good, but you know what will solve all of the problems people are imagining spinning out of the A-Rod thing? The Yankees winning baseball games. That’s what almost every Yankees fan cares about, full stop. This drama being played out in the media is interesting to those of us in the media, and it’s interesting as part of a larger conversation about PEDs in baseball.
But your average Yankees fan doesn’t need a “savior.” He or she wants to see the Yankees win a lot of baseball games.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 1
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 50
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)