Feb 4, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
If you thought we were past the Golden Age of Derek Jeter Deification, well, you just haven’t read Bob Raissman’s latest column in the Daily News. He has a suggestion as to how the Yankees can get past the latest A-Rod PED scandal:
The captain’s presence and persona are uplifting. They can cleanse any muck surrounding the organization. In order for fans to keep the faith, they need a reason to believe, a face they can trust. Jeter, the transcendent one, is that man.
If there is any doubt as to Raissman’s feelings here, note that in the previous paragraph he referred to Jeter as a “savior.” I’m assuming his first draft had “the” instead of “a” and capitalized “savior,” but it really doesn’t have to. He also recommends that the Yankees start working on a contract extension for Jeter now, with “face of the franchise” kickers. He suggests Jeter storylines should be pushed “ad nauseum.”
That’s well and good, but you know what will solve all of the problems people are imagining spinning out of the A-Rod thing? The Yankees winning baseball games. That’s what almost every Yankees fan cares about, full stop. This drama being played out in the media is interesting to those of us in the media, and it’s interesting as part of a larger conversation about PEDs in baseball.
But your average Yankees fan doesn’t need a “savior.” He or she wants to see the Yankees win a lot of baseball games.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)