Feb 4, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
If you thought we were past the Golden Age of Derek Jeter Deification, well, you just haven’t read Bob Raissman’s latest column in the Daily News. He has a suggestion as to how the Yankees can get past the latest A-Rod PED scandal:
The captain’s presence and persona are uplifting. They can cleanse any muck surrounding the organization. In order for fans to keep the faith, they need a reason to believe, a face they can trust. Jeter, the transcendent one, is that man.
If there is any doubt as to Raissman’s feelings here, note that in the previous paragraph he referred to Jeter as a “savior.” I’m assuming his first draft had “the” instead of “a” and capitalized “savior,” but it really doesn’t have to. He also recommends that the Yankees start working on a contract extension for Jeter now, with “face of the franchise” kickers. He suggests Jeter storylines should be pushed “ad nauseum.”
That’s well and good, but you know what will solve all of the problems people are imagining spinning out of the A-Rod thing? The Yankees winning baseball games. That’s what almost every Yankees fan cares about, full stop. This drama being played out in the media is interesting to those of us in the media, and it’s interesting as part of a larger conversation about PEDs in baseball.
But your average Yankees fan doesn’t need a “savior.” He or she wants to see the Yankees win a lot of baseball games.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)