Feb 4, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
If you thought we were past the Golden Age of Derek Jeter Deification, well, you just haven’t read Bob Raissman’s latest column in the Daily News. He has a suggestion as to how the Yankees can get past the latest A-Rod PED scandal:
The captain’s presence and persona are uplifting. They can cleanse any muck surrounding the organization. In order for fans to keep the faith, they need a reason to believe, a face they can trust. Jeter, the transcendent one, is that man.
If there is any doubt as to Raissman’s feelings here, note that in the previous paragraph he referred to Jeter as a “savior.” I’m assuming his first draft had “the” instead of “a” and capitalized “savior,” but it really doesn’t have to. He also recommends that the Yankees start working on a contract extension for Jeter now, with “face of the franchise” kickers. He suggests Jeter storylines should be pushed “ad nauseum.”
That’s well and good, but you know what will solve all of the problems people are imagining spinning out of the A-Rod thing? The Yankees winning baseball games. That’s what almost every Yankees fan cares about, full stop. This drama being played out in the media is interesting to those of us in the media, and it’s interesting as part of a larger conversation about PEDs in baseball.
But your average Yankees fan doesn’t need a “savior.” He or she wants to see the Yankees win a lot of baseball games.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)