Feb 4, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Back in October there was some speculation that Steve Stone would leave the White Sox’s broadcast booth for a job with the Diamondbacks, but Stone eventually decided to stay in Chicago and continue to work with Hawk Harrelson even though the duo apparently hasn’t gotten along for a while now.
Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that Harrelson and Stone had a “communication breakdown” for the past two seasons and White Sox executives met with them last week to discuss the situation.
Harrelson told Levine his side of things:
There was a problem last year. The first two years we worked together were terrific. … In 2011 something was wrong. In 2012 something was wrong. We talked about it through the course of the year and finally had the big meeting at Sox Fest. Jerry [Reinsdorf] was there and so was Bob Grimm and Brooks Boyer. We got it all out on the table and worked it all out. When we walked out of the meeting I felt great and so did Steve.
As a Minnesotan and Twins fan I’m supposed to despise Harrelson and the White Sox, but I actually like listening to Harrelson and Stone call games. With that said, they both certainly have … well, let’s call them “strong” personalities, and it’s not shocking that they’d eventually clash with each other considering how often they’ve clashed with various people–co-workers included–over the years.
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)