White Sox announcers Hawk Harrelson and Steve Stone haven’t gotten along for two years

Feb 4, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

harrelson and stone

Back in October there was some speculation that Steve Stone would leave the White Sox’s broadcast booth for a job with the Diamondbacks, but Stone eventually decided to stay in Chicago and continue to work with Hawk Harrelson even though the duo apparently hasn’t gotten along for a while now.

Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that Harrelson and Stone had a “communication breakdown” for the past two seasons and White Sox executives met with them last week to discuss the situation.

Harrelson told Levine his side of things:

There was a problem last year. The first two years we worked together were terrific. … In 2011 something was wrong. In 2012 something was wrong. We talked about it through the course of the year and finally had the big meeting at Sox Fest. Jerry [Reinsdorf] was there and so was Bob Grimm and Brooks Boyer. We got it all out on the table and worked it all out. When we walked out of the meeting I felt great and so did Steve.

As a Minnesotan and Twins fan I’m supposed to despise Harrelson and the White Sox, but I actually like listening to Harrelson and Stone call games. With that said, they both certainly have … well, let’s call them “strong” personalities, and it’s not shocking that they’d eventually clash with each other considering how often they’ve clashed with various people–co-workers included–over the years.

1. Jason Collette - Feb 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Working alongside Hawk should at least require hazard pay.

• jarathen - Feb 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Or a National Medal of Freedom. SOMETHING.

2. sportsdrenched - Feb 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM

This means Steve Stone is one of the “Good Guys” again?

3. darthicarus - Feb 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I am shocked & appalled to learn that someone couldn’t work alongside Harrelson without having a problem. I’m also having trouble coming to accept the fact that Lance Armstrong lied.

4. wmg8383 - Feb 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Thank god MLB.TV gives you the option of listening to both broadcasts, as any AL Central watcher will tell you. I’m sure Hawk has been saving up a special “he gon'” for Steve.

• derklempner - Feb 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Actually, I expect to see the front page of the Chicago Tribune sports section to say “He Gone” when Harrelson finally kicks the bucket.

5. djstarion - Feb 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM

You could tell they didn’t like each other. Just look at them in the booth when they show them during the game or when you’re at a White Sox game. They literally sit as far away from each other as possible.

• APBA Guy - Feb 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I don’t know why the thumbs down for this since it’s demonstrably true. It was the first thought that popped in my mind when I read the post.

6. fletchgriz - Feb 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Bring back Wimpy.

7. bdnnbd - Feb 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Shocked that you enjoy their broadcasts Gleeman. Not a more biased production in all of sports.

• chicitybulls - Feb 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM

You obviously haven’t heard Tommy Heinsohn call a Celtics game. Yesterday he literally said he hated a ref. His partner tried to reel him and and said “well you dont mean hate. That’s a strong word” and Heinsohn said no I hate him and repeated it 2-3 times.

• bostonfreeparty - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Both of you are right on this one, Hawk and Heinsohn broadcast as if their teams can do no wrong and the officials are always at fault. While they may both be an entertaining listen for a few big highlights, it’s brutal to listen to them for an entire game. In Heinsohn’s case, I prefer watching Celtics games on mute.

• fletchgriz - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Hawk is especially enjoyable when they’re losing. His sour grapes sulking makes me laugh.

8. awbh2c - Feb 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM

How can you possibly enjoy Harrelson? Even White Sox fans don’t like him! Those two make up the most biased booth in sports

• chicitybulls - Feb 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Wrong. I’m a White Sox fan and I love listening to Hawk and his many catch phrases that has been copied and repeated throughout the country.

• tuberippin - Feb 4, 2013 at 6:26 PM

You sir, are a masochist.

• derklempner - Feb 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Thankfully, “You can watch the game on muuuuuuuuuuuuuuute… YES!”

9. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Feb 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I’m on board with Gleeman. I enjoy Hawk.

• kiwicricket - Feb 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I fear these two things will lead you astray in life, my friend.

10. chicitybulls - Feb 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I’m a Hawk guy. Is he a homer. Of course he is. He’s a broadcaster for the White Sox. He’s not on some national broadcaster that’s not supposed to root for a team. From listening to other teams broadcasts in other sports those broadcasters are homers too. However he will call the team out if they’re not performing either. I’ve heard him do it plenty of times over the years. People dont hear about it because it’s not news. Like when an athlete does something bad it’s front page news but if he does something good you really dont hear about it. If you’re a fan of an opposing team and you dont like him then he’s doing his job. You will just be added to the list and you can put it on the booooaaaaard. YES!!!

11. shanabartels - Feb 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

So having a full minute of dead air after the White Sox lose in walk-off fashion is because Harrelson and Stone can’t stand each other enough to fill the silence with words and not because Hawk has a stroke anytime something unfavorable happens to the White Sox? Suuuuuuuure. And I’m a unicorn.

• kalinedrive - Feb 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I was going to mention that. You can tell when Hawk is pouting because something bad happened for the good guys and he goes quiet. I wonder if he’s really angry and trying to get himself under control or what. It is the best part of his broadcast, though. I really really hate listening to that guy.

12. haterhurter937 - Feb 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM

jeff brantley who calls the reds games is the worst. spends 6 innings talking about BBQ and J.T.M. products every game.

• mundial8 - Feb 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Don’t forget the cowboy loves his ice cream…

13. jpat2424 - Feb 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I like them both. Stoney is one of the best announcers all time. Extremely knowable. Hawk just likes to hear himself talk. Heeee Gooonnnneeee

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Jpat, you call Stone knowable, which basically means it is easy to get to know him. I’m not sure if you meant that or perhaps knowledgeable, which means he knows a lot about his topic. Both may well be true in his case.

14. sawxalicious - Feb 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Steve Stone is the reason I used to really enjoy watching Cubs broadcasts on TV. Hawk Harrelson is the reason I cannot watch the White Sox on TV. He is terrible.

15. beachnbaseball - Feb 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM

The White Sox front office should be very grateful to Harrelson. He’s instrumental in their attendance. With Harrelson announcing games on TV, many fans flock to the stadium from their homes so they don’t have to watch or listen to him on the tube.

16. ndrocks2 - Feb 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Hawk is Hawk, what can you say. However, Stone is a D*CK always has been. Hawk is a SOX fan, Stone is a Stone fan. Stone can’t go back to the Cubs or the Networks, finally time to leave town. HE GONE!!!

17. hardballtalkusername - Feb 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Hawk just needs to stretch. Stretch. Stretch.

18. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

This really isn’t a big deal. The Phillies had for probably 15-20 years two announcers who didn’t get along…Harry Kalas hated Chris Wheeler and those two worked together, albeit not always at the same exact time, but they did at least 3-6 innings(3 when Whitey was alive and then 6 after he passed away) together every game for years and didn’t get along. Professionals can get past it

19. Jackson - Feb 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

If I had been working with Hawk that long, I woulda jumped by now.

20. Kevin Gillman - Feb 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM

How many different broadcasters has Hawk not gotten along with though? I always liked hearing Steve, but still can’t stand hearing Hawk. I try and avoid the White Sox broadcasts as much as I can when I have the Extra Innings package. Unless the White Sox are losing, then its funny to hear how depressed Hawk is.

21. moogro - Feb 5, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Who cares about bias? He just sounds like a moron. Trying to imitate comic book language bubbles verbally is annoying coming from four year olds, let alone an adult. “The monster crushed the city!!! Yes!!!!!”

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4192)