Brad Peacock had to hang a U-turn in Mississippi last night

Feb 5, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT

U-turn

When news of the Astros-A’s trade came down last night my first thought was “heh, that’s probably gonna make for some last minute travel plan scrambling for those guys,” what with us being mere days away from pitchers and catchers reporting and one team holding spring training in Florida and the other in Arizona.

That wasn’t even the half of it. Seems former A’s-now-Astros pitcher Brad Peacock, who lives in West Palm Beach in the offseason was already en route to Phoenix:

“I was actually driving to Phoenix and I got a call and had to turn around in Mississippi.”

So Peacock turned his vehicle around near Biloxi, Miss., and drove right back where he came from. He’ll join Astros pitchers and catchers Monday in Kissimmee, Fla., but not before crashing for the night with his parents in Orlando. All in all, that’s roughly 1,300 miles and 18 hours in a front seat.

At least he probably caught up on some books on tape and/or his annual Waffle House consumption.

1. chacochicken - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Credit to Peacock for not just driving to the Grand Canyon and pulling a Thelma and Louise upon finding out he is now an Astro and still in the A.L.

• astrofaninkc - Feb 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM

It could have been worse. He could have been traded to the sinking ship that is the Marlins.

2. deathmonkey41 - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I just hope he’s in the BSOHL or that’s going to be a mighty uncomfortable ride.

3. mazblast - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Eh, that’s still fewer hours and miles than if he had continued to Phoenix. Better to find out while in Mississippi than when you’re in the nothingness of west Texas!

Waffle House, mmmmm. Pork chops, scrambled eggs, scattered, smothered, capped, diced, chunked, and peppered for me.

• professormaddog31 - Feb 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM

The nights in college I spent at the Waffle House scarfing down cheese covered hash browns…brain food, lemme tell ya. I wrote a lot of good essays in those greasy booths.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Gaffigan has a great riff on Waffle House

• APBA Guy - Feb 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Two of my three nephews are college-age now, and have officially graduated from Waffle House, except for a once a year nostalgia visit. The oldest, who is 20, recently announced “I can’t believe how dirty it is.” to which his youngest brother said “I can’t believe you didn’t notice before now.”

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet