Feb 5, 2013, 8:54 AM EST
When news of the Astros-A’s trade came down last night my first thought was “heh, that’s probably gonna make for some last minute travel plan scrambling for those guys,” what with us being mere days away from pitchers and catchers reporting and one team holding spring training in Florida and the other in Arizona.
That wasn’t even the half of it. Seems former A’s-now-Astros pitcher Brad Peacock, who lives in West Palm Beach in the offseason was already en route to Phoenix:
“I was actually driving to Phoenix and I got a call and had to turn around in Mississippi.”
So Peacock turned his vehicle around near Biloxi, Miss., and drove right back where he came from. He’ll join Astros pitchers and catchers Monday in Kissimmee, Fla., but not before crashing for the night with his parents in Orlando. All in all, that’s roughly 1,300 miles and 18 hours in a front seat.
At least he probably caught up on some books on tape and/or his annual Waffle House consumption.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 152
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 24
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (152)
- My imaginary Hall of Fame ballot (90)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (83)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (74)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)