Feb 5, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
When news of the Astros-A’s trade came down last night my first thought was “heh, that’s probably gonna make for some last minute travel plan scrambling for those guys,” what with us being mere days away from pitchers and catchers reporting and one team holding spring training in Florida and the other in Arizona.
That wasn’t even the half of it. Seems former A’s-now-Astros pitcher Brad Peacock, who lives in West Palm Beach in the offseason was already en route to Phoenix:
“I was actually driving to Phoenix and I got a call and had to turn around in Mississippi.”
So Peacock turned his vehicle around near Biloxi, Miss., and drove right back where he came from. He’ll join Astros pitchers and catchers Monday in Kissimmee, Fla., but not before crashing for the night with his parents in Orlando. All in all, that’s roughly 1,300 miles and 18 hours in a front seat.
At least he probably caught up on some books on tape and/or his annual Waffle House consumption.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)