Feb 5, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
When news of the Astros-A’s trade came down last night my first thought was “heh, that’s probably gonna make for some last minute travel plan scrambling for those guys,” what with us being mere days away from pitchers and catchers reporting and one team holding spring training in Florida and the other in Arizona.
That wasn’t even the half of it. Seems former A’s-now-Astros pitcher Brad Peacock, who lives in West Palm Beach in the offseason was already en route to Phoenix:
“I was actually driving to Phoenix and I got a call and had to turn around in Mississippi.”
So Peacock turned his vehicle around near Biloxi, Miss., and drove right back where he came from. He’ll join Astros pitchers and catchers Monday in Kissimmee, Fla., but not before crashing for the night with his parents in Orlando. All in all, that’s roughly 1,300 miles and 18 hours in a front seat.
At least he probably caught up on some books on tape and/or his annual Waffle House consumption.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 3
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 23
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (156)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)