Feb 5, 2013, 8:54 AM EST
When news of the Astros-A’s trade came down last night my first thought was “heh, that’s probably gonna make for some last minute travel plan scrambling for those guys,” what with us being mere days away from pitchers and catchers reporting and one team holding spring training in Florida and the other in Arizona.
That wasn’t even the half of it. Seems former A’s-now-Astros pitcher Brad Peacock, who lives in West Palm Beach in the offseason was already en route to Phoenix:
“I was actually driving to Phoenix and I got a call and had to turn around in Mississippi.”
So Peacock turned his vehicle around near Biloxi, Miss., and drove right back where he came from. He’ll join Astros pitchers and catchers Monday in Kissimmee, Fla., but not before crashing for the night with his parents in Orlando. All in all, that’s roughly 1,300 miles and 18 hours in a front seat.
At least he probably caught up on some books on tape and/or his annual Waffle House consumption.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)