Jack Morris hired to broadcast Blue Jays games

Feb 5, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT

Jack Morris Blue Jays

Jack Morris has a new gig:

A familiar face is returning to Toronto as former Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Jack Morris returns to the city where he won two World Series titles as Sportsnet’s newest Blue Jays analyst. Morris will provide analysis for Sportsnet 590 The FAN’s Blue Jays radio broadcasts, and will also make appearances on Sportsnet’s Blue Jays game telecasts, Blue Jays Central, Baseball Central at Noon and sportsnet.ca.

We give Morris credit for the 1993 World Series? Even though he went 7-12 with a 6.19 ERA was out of the rotation by early September and was left off the postseason roster? Hey, they can do whatever they want to.

1. proudlycanadian - Feb 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Do not know if he will be good, but I am sure that he will be interesting. He effectively replaces Allan Ashby who will now be on the Houston TV team.

• sknut - Feb 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM

He has done some Twins work and I thought he was ok. It was always on a fill in basis so I don’t think he ever really ironed the kinks out. I think he wanted a bigger role with the Twins radio team but they seem quite happy with what they have. Best of luck to him, hope he does ok.

• mrfloydpink - Feb 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM

My understanding is that he announces to the score.

• 18thstreet - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM

He’s a great choice for Opening Day.

Dammit, Mr. Floyd Pink’s was funnier than mine.

2. cur68 - Feb 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM

HailMaryfullagrace….Really? Jack Effin Morris? Beaver Broadcaster? Jeez. Today has sucked very much. This little tidbit isn’t helping.

During his tenure as a Beav I always found him grating in interviews. Maybe he’s mellowed over the years and he’ll be great at this. Man, I hope so.

Ok. Whatever. Its like John Gibbons’ contract: I’ll know by the AS Break if I like this. I’ll be here all season long, bitching long and loud, if Morris sucks: you can depend upon this happening. On the other hand, he might be ok or I might never see him again. For all our sakes, lets hope for either of the last two options.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM

And here I thought you were going to become violently unstable.

• cur68 - Feb 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Check back with me by the AS Break

3. chacochicken - Feb 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM

He’s going to bring so much grit to the booth. It’ll be like 40 sandpaper during his “analysis”.

4. jaysfan64 - Feb 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I remember reading somewhere his style is very “folksy”…

5. sundancekyd71 - Feb 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Just great! Toronto finally has an excellent team and I’m going to be stuck listening to either Buck Martinez or Jack Morris. Man, I’m gonna miss Ashby!

6. yankeepunk3000 - Feb 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I plan to switch over the the blue jays announce team when they play the Yankees…my father a long time blue jays fan is joyfull of this. For some reason he remembers jack morris with good thoughts…what did I miss in the 90s?

• jarathen - Feb 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM

How To Win 21 Games With an ERA+ of 101.

7. ditto65 - Feb 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I wonder if he is going to analyze to the score…

8. paint771 - Feb 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Sure he’s good, Craig, but is he good enough?

I mean this is Sportsnet 590 The FAN, Craig. There is a legacy to protect. Do we really want to put him alongside such names as Jerry Howarth, Gregg Zaun, Alan Ashby, and George Stroumboulopoulos? Despite years of very good on-air radio broadcasting performance, was it ever really great? Can you reward a guy with a Sportsnet 590 The FAN nod, Craig, just because he called a lot of games? If we admit him, do we also have to admit the likes of Greg Brown, Rick Tittle, and Joe Block? Was there any year where he was the best broadcaster in the game? I mean sure, he had that one really phenomenal broadcast, but can you judge a Sportsnet 590 The FAN case based on that, Craig? We already let in Mike Wilner – is the bar really now so low?

I don’t know. I think Toronto is really going to have to mull this one over. We’ll let you know if this is a good decision in 2027.

9. tfbuckfutter - Feb 5, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I don’t think he’ll be great. But he will probably be really good a lot of the time.

And if he can sustain that long enough well…..maybe some people will remember him as great.

10. sbmcintosh36 - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I’d take Morris over Susan and John all day any day every time I hear Susan i want to drive into a canal

11. mplsjoe - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM

From his broadcast run with the Twins: meh. Way too much “back in my day” stuff. And it doesn’t even make sense: to hear Morris tell it, no starter can come out before the 8th and about every other batter should get beaned. Also, he isn’t shy about pressing his HOF case.

12. rgledz - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Craig…..seriously…..what did Jack Morris ever do to you? It must have been awful because you rip him in every HOF article you’ve ever hacked out and now you’re ripping his broadcasting ability even though you’ve never heard him??? Please tell us what he did to you, I think we all want to know.

• ptfu - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:46 PM

“As a broadcaster I don’t think I’ve ever heard his work. If he’s good, congrats Blue Jays radio listeners. If not, sorry.”

This doesn’t look like a rip of his broadcast ability. Try again.

13. philliesblow - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM

He realizes his best chance at the HoF was this year and since he didn’t make the cut, now he’s shooting for the Ford C. Frick Award.

14. Matt Vee - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I doubt Morris is going to be able to fill the Alan Ashby sized hole in my heart.

15. jarathen - Feb 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM

He should’ve focused on starting his career in 2010 or 2020, to ensure hsi best chance at being consistent over an arbitrary period of time defined as a decade.

16. cktai - Feb 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Well considering his 0-3 record and 7.43 ERA in the 1992 post-season you might as well credit him for failing to make the postseason roster, thus giving the Blue Jays their best chance of winning.

17. 4cornersfan - Feb 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Craig, now that your blogs and TV appearances have dashed Morris’ hopes for the HOF, and today you have refuted any claim that he was instrumental in winning the 1993 World Series, I suppose that Jack is going to try to make it Cooperstown as a broadcaster. Will we be seeing unfavorable reviews of his broadcasts here? I say stalk him to the grave and post unflattering reviews of his eulogy.

Orioles turn AL East on its head