Feb 5, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
That report about the Marlins being close to a deal with Jose Valverde has been deemed “a typical ploy by Scott Boras,” but Miami has added some veteran bullpen help in the form of Jon Rauch on a one-year contract worth $1 million.
Rauch will presumably act as the primary setup man for closer Steve Cishek, but has some closing experience himself and could work his way into the ninth-inning mix at some point.
Last season Rauch threw 58 innings with a 3.59 ERA and 42/12 K/BB ratio for the Mets and the 6-foot-10 right-hander has posted a sub-4.00 ERA in seven of the past nine seasons. He’s a solid pickup for a team that certainly needs pitching help.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)