Feb 5, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
That report about the Marlins being close to a deal with Jose Valverde has been deemed “a typical ploy by Scott Boras,” but Miami has added some veteran bullpen help in the form of Jon Rauch on a one-year contract worth $1 million.
Rauch will presumably act as the primary setup man for closer Steve Cishek, but has some closing experience himself and could work his way into the ninth-inning mix at some point.
Last season Rauch threw 58 innings with a 3.59 ERA and 42/12 K/BB ratio for the Mets and the 6-foot-10 right-hander has posted a sub-4.00 ERA in seven of the past nine seasons. He’s a solid pickup for a team that certainly needs pitching help.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)