Feb 5, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Obviously the Nationals’ stars get most of the attention, but an overlooked part of their offseason is stockpiling a bunch of quality depth.
Earlier today the Nationals signed one-time starting catcher Chris Snyder to a minor-league deal in which he basically serves as their insurance for Wilson Ramos and now they’re agreed to a minor-league deal with reliever Jeremy Accardo.
Accardo tossed 37 innings with a 4.82 ERA and 29/16 K/BB ratio for the Indians and A’s last season, and the 30-year-old right-hander has a 4.30 career ERA. He’s nothing special, but adds to what was already impressive bullpen depth.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)