Feb 5, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
This is apparently A-Rod’s new strategy: Deflect all these allegations away from him. Didn’t his crisis management people come out the other day saying all those documents obtained out of Bosch’s clinic by the Miami New Times were bogus? His crisis managers, but not A-Rod himself.
He is innocent, A-Rod says. But instead of personally telling us that, Rodriguez proclaims it through anonymous spokespeople and lawyers and expects us to believe him.
For what it’s worth, A-Rod issued an official statement denying the allegations in the Miami New Times report. Maybe it’s a total lie, but don’t accuse him of “a conspiracy of silence” as Madden does here when he has, in fact, issued as thorough a statement as any other public figure caught up in a scandal has issued.
That aside, this insistence on direct, personal on-the-record statements is pretty rich from a guy who based his “The Yankees are going to dump A-Rod” story last week on anonymous team sources. Tell us Bill: instead of publicly saying that, the Yankees proclaim they are done with Rodriguez through anonymous spokespeople and expects us to believe them?
This also from a guy who has shown that he’s totally cool with letting speculation and whisper campaigns dictate who makes his Hall of Fame ballot.
If you’re Bill Madden I guess official, in person, on-the-record sources are only important when the story doesn’t serve your interests. If it does, hell, let ‘er rip.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 17
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 86
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 98
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 95
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)