Ryan Braun releases written statement, says connection to Biogenesis was consulting-related

Feb 5, 2013, 9:39 PM EDT

braun getty Getty Images

MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy passes along a written statement from Ryan Braun addressing his connection to the Biogenesis clinic:

“During the course of preparing for my successful appeal last year, my attorneys, who were previously familiar with Tony Bosch, used him as a consultant. More specifically, he answered questions about T/E ratio and possibilities of tampering with samples. There was a dispute over compensation for Bosch’s work, which is why my lawyer and I are listed under ‘moneys owed’ and not on any other list. I have nothing to hide and have never had any other relationship with Bosch. I will fully cooperate with any inquiry into this matter.”

It seems odd that Braun couldn’t find a more qualified consultant than Bosch and you have to wonder why Braun’s attorneys were “previously familiar with” the guy.

Major League Baseball is launching an investigation into the Miami-based Biogenesis clinic and all of the players that have been listed in its records. Braun will likely have a sit-down with MLB’s investigators soon.

1. dondada10 - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Gotta admit, it’s a hell of an alibi.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:03 AM

John Heyman will deny it for him.

2. lifer124 - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Good thing we got this story tonight, the internet was running out of people to pass judgement on.

3. thebadguyswon - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM

My bullshit meter won’t stop buzzing.

• kiwicricket - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Rub the creme the doctor gave you on it

4. countduku - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM

2 things come to mind: 1) If the money owed is for the attorney’s costs, then why is Ryan Braun’s name even mentioned in the book as the 20-30k owed? 2) 20-30K is alot of money to answer a few questions about about T?E ratios and tampering with samples questions. Does anybody know exactly how much money this attorney was charged by the hour or per question? Being the son of an attorney, I know that attorney’s don’t just shell out 30k out of their own pocket to get a couple questions answered to satisfy their own curiosity…… Not your best statement, Ryan Braun. You should have waited awhile to think that one through.

• phillyfan75 - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I think you need to ask your mom or dad, whichever is the attorney, some more questions about how things work so you can be less ignorant.

• maverick8948 - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I am an attorney, and an extremely junior one at that, in a small legal market. One week’s worth of my time will set you back $18k. On an appeal of this magnitude you could reasonably expect Braun’s legal team to invest significant time, seeing a loss would cost Braun millions. I’d also assume he didn’t hire Mr. “1 year out of law school” in a small midwestern market either. It not unforeseen for a company with similar revenue’s to Braun to shell out $200-300k in prep work for an appeal like this. $20k is chump change in the world of high stakes litigation.

5. stew37 - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:54 PM

This is a perfectly logical explanation, as it would make sense for his lawyers to consult a specialist in the field. The question I would ask is why Braun has been given such a pass for his original, positive test. The reputation of the tester has been drug through the mud when all he did was properly store Braun’s sample when unable to ship it, to the letter of how testers are trained to so so. It reminds me of hoe the NFL handled the Patriots “punishment” for taping and studying defensive signs. A team, or in Braun’s case a player, that the league loves is caught red handed and given a pass. One cracker’s opinion.

• chacochicken - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM

MLB didn’t give him a pass, an impartial arbitrator ruled in his favor. I’m sure the league would have loved to nail him especially after his vigorous denials. I am sure, however that this is effectively an ironclad alibi unless Braun has a 2nd positive test as his lawyer will have all the records and be willing to testify on his behalf.

• vallewho - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Hate to say it…but his name is not Brauniguez

• stercuilus65 - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Braun is/ was guilty as hell no matter what his jock sniffers say.

• paperlions - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM

It’s nice that people will so strongly continue to believe whatever they wish to believe no matter what the evidence suggests, it helps reinforce my faith in humanity.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM

The NFL fined the Patriots something like $500,000 and Bill Belicheck $250,000 personally. It’s by far the largest fine the NFL ever gave out. Try to get your story straight.

• deadeyedesign23 - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM

They also destroyed all the tapes which no doubt showed practices from the Super Bowls they won.

6. stew37 - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM

This is a perfectly logical explanation, as it would make sense for his lawyers to consult a specialist in the field. The question I would ask is why Braun has been given such a pass for his original, positive test. The reputation of the tester has been drug through the mud for properly storing Braun’s sample when unable to ship it, to the letter of how testers are trained to so so. It reminds me of how the NFL handled the Patriots “punishment” for taping and studying defensive signs. A team, or in Braun’s case a player, that the league loves is caught red handed and given a pass. One cracker’s opinion.

7. Laidback920 - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Still a scumbag

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM

For a baseball blog, the commenters sure do hate baseball players….

Is Braun telling the truth? Fuck if I know…and fuck if you know as well. Seeing as he didn’t beat his wife or anything and was cleared of his steroid test (and hasn’t tested positive since), let’s wait for a bit more information before we start throwing around the scumbag label, shall we?

• historiophiliac - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM

For a baseball blog, there’s been a lot of football on here lately. >:(

8. Caught Looking - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM

That hole he’s dug keeps getting deeper.

9. Ben - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM

So the best expert he could find was a sketchballs doc shooting up other players personally? Awesome.

• Ben - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:09 PM

(Am I remembering right–the original report had Bosch personally injecting ARod, right?)

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM

A source said that the Doc was injecting Arod, but both Arod and the Doc deny it. The source also said that there was an issue with bleeding due to not finding a vein, which is anatomically inaccurate.

• kiwicricket - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I will only believe it if he kept the used needles like a complete psycho….

• Ben - Feb 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Ahh, ok, thanks, I missed that detail

10. bancacentral - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Man, If I’m A-Rod, I would be dialing Braun’s number and buying some of his remaining alibis for PED allegations like this one. I’d also take the chance to buy some of the excuses he tell his girlfriend when he do stupid shit… he must have a ton.

11. kjt929 - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Lier jackass pants on fire

• dondada10 - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Belgium or Norway?

12. joerymi - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Using the fight against a positive sample against the lab that possibly took part in said positive test. Brillant!

Teflon.

13. tfbuckfutter - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I didn’t hire a prostitute.

I was merely asking the prostitute how she would get rid of gonorrhea if she had it.

You know. For a friend.

• historiophiliac - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM

And, of course, you had to pay her for her time then, while she was answering your question.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Of course.

It’s a tax write-off.

14. chacochicken - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Believe it or not but there is now a less than zero chance of a Braun suspension.

15. vallewho - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Should the lawyer’s name (or lawfirm) have been on the list?

• kiwicricket - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:07 PM

No way! Having ‘Braun 20-30k’ scribbled on your little list is waaay more fun to show off with to your mates at the pub.

• deadeyedesign23 - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I was thinking that too. This seems incredibly careless if it’s true.

16. stercuilus65 - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Oh that Braun is such a “stand up guy”!

Oh I’m sorry I misspelled “lying POS”!

17. themohel - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Curious to hear what Craig has to say about his guy…

18. Ralph - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM

If it looks like sh*t….and smells like sh*t….it’s probably a duck.

• paperlions - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:47 AM

In this case, you are 100% correct. The information provided so far is equivalent to “my sister’s boyfriend heard from a guy that knows this girls who’s brother said he heard that….”. There is definitely smoke, but it is hard to tell who set the fire.

19. jpk6044 - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Cheater AND liar???

20. nolasoxfan2012 - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM

What kind of consulting work gets you $20-30k? Seriously. Answering a few questions doesn’t cost that much. Was he conducting tests on urine samples? Was he adding testosterone to urine samples to see if they came out the same as Braun’s results? This is just flat out weird. Who else was getting consulted in that case?

• maverick8948 - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM

It does in high stakes litigation. You’re getting all of your information from a one paragraph statement. He/his lawyers don’t just walk into a consultant’s office, ask questions for half an hour, then walk out. If he really consulted him then he (Bosch) probably put together a detailed report for his legal team to cite throughout the paperwork filed as part of the appeal. Consultants generally command about $350/hour for their work. There are people whose entire livelihood is being an expert for litigation, and it’s very lucrative.

If he consulted him, which there is no evidence he didn’t, $20-30k really isn’t that much money.

• historiophiliac - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM

For an unlicensed “doctor”? If I’m going up against MLB with these kinds of stakes, I’d want experts from the best schools/research facilities I can get. That would be worth $20-30K, I think…not so much a supplements specialist. That seems a serious overpay.

• vallewho - Feb 6, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I believe you as to the cost of real litigation….but do you think a guy (unlicensed ?) that keeps records scribbled on a notebook is preparing a “detailed report” to be used in the defense? And if so, does that not cast more serious doubts on to the original defense? PED pusher on one end and PED defender on the other?

21. kiwicricket - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM

20-30k for ‘consultancy fees’ ….not surprised he didn’t pay the guy!

In all seriousness…guys owing thousands or even tens of thousands scribbled on lecture pad? What sort of operation is this?!

In future, it may be wise to source your HGH and PED-like goodies at a more reputable clinic?

22. whmiv21 - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM

All due respect to Buster Posey, but this story makes me wish that Braun won the MVP award again. Just to see how the Internet would’ve reacted.

23. butchhuskey - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Although I do believe in innocent until proven guilty, sometimes where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

24. chill1184 - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM

How deep does the rabbit hole go….

25. countduku - Feb 5, 2013 at 11:26 PM

His explaination raises more questions then he has answered. Usually that is the result of someone trying to hold back some facts that could incriminate him. Let’s remember that he only was sucessful in getting his suspension dropped because of the timing of the delivery of the positive specimen did not exactly match what the collective bargaining agreement outlined. His positive urine was NEVER tampered with. The seal was confirmed to have remained sealed properly. He went out of his way to ruin the career of the poor guy that had collected the sample. If he is indeed guilty in any way of taking PED’s, which it is looking more and more likely, he is on the EXACT level as Lance Armstrong, which is right now about as low as it gets. I wish he would openly talk to reporters instead of issuing a statement which he claims to be his, which was obviously written by his lawyer.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS