Ryan Braun’s name discovered in the Biogenesis records

Feb 5, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT

ryan braun getty Getty Images

From Jeff Passan and Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports:

Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun‘s name is in records of the Miami-area clinic alleged to have distributed performance-enhancing drugs to a rash of baseball players, and Major League Baseball will investigate the link to the former MVP who tested positive for illegal synthetic testosterone during the 2011 postseason.

Braun was cleared of that 2011 positive test due to what was perceived to be an error in the handling of his urine sample. His name is not listed next to any specific PED transactions in the Biogenesis records, but Major League Baseball will investigate the matter in the hope of learning about the outfielder’s exact level of involvement.

Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli and Orioles third baseman Danny Valencia were also discovered in the records at the Biogenesis clinic but, like Braun, were not listed in connection with a specific PED.

**********************

UPDATE, 11:21 PM: Braun says in a written statement that he used Bosch for consulting in his successful PED appeal and that he has “nothing to hide” –

“During the course of preparing for my successful appeal last year, my attorneys, who were previously familiar with Tony Bosch, used him as a consultant. More specifically, he answered questions about T/E ratio and possibilities of tampering with samples. There was a dispute over compensation for Bosch’s work, which is why my lawyer and I are listed under ‘moneys owed’ and not on any other list. I have nothing to hide and have never had any other relationship with Bosch. I will fully cooperate with any inquiry into this matter.”

1. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM

“His name is not listed next to any specific PED transactions in the Biogenesis records …”

There goes Drew again, being a shameless steroid apologist.

I’m through with this site. All you do is defend cheaters while guys like Danny Valencia ruin baseball’s record book.

• Ben - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Insert procedural justice joke *here*

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:54 PM

WOW, are you ever touchy on this topic!

I made a joke once about Matthew trolling you, little did I know they actually can succeed :)

• The Rabbit - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Craig, not only does this site need an edit function, it needs a dedicated sarcasm font.

Braun’s name is in many files at my office and none of you know what I’m selling. Maybe Biogenesis has a fantasy league, too.

• andrewproughcfe - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Little Danny Valencia – the terror of Lee Street.

2. schlom - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Is their proof just a piece of paper with names written on it?

3. echech88 - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

BUT HE WAS MY KEEPER IN FANTASY

4. vallewho - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM

who handled the records?

5. goskinsvt - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM

“His name is not listed next to any specific PED transactions in the Biogenesis records”

Seriously, this (like with Gio Gonzalez) should be the headline.

• Ben - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I’m sure he and Gio and Nelson Cruz were forking out thousands for whey protein and creatine at an anti-aging clinic. I mean, Amazon was down the other day, and that stuff is hard to find.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM

“whey protein and creatine at an anti-aging clinic.”

I don’t see why that is so hard to believe – didn’t Ponce de Leon do something like this 500 years ago?

As for Gio’s father looking to lose weight at Bosch’s clinic – hey, have you seen what Jenny Craig charges for that?

• Ben - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM

The other day I ran out of tylenol, and I couldn’t think of what else to do, so I called my drug dealer. For some reason the police arrested us both after we exchanged cash for a bag of pills. Didn’t make a damn bit of sense as to why they’d be suspicious. I was just buying tylenol in cash from a known drug dealer.

I’m starting to wonder if Marx’s famous line from the 18th Brumaire was written about Ryan Braun. “History repeats itself… first as tragedy, then as farce”

6. thebadguyswon - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Ah…the Golden Boy strikes again. I’m sure he’ll get away with it. If he were black of Hispanic he wouldn’t.

• chacochicken - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Yeah, you know what an easy time those Jews have had.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Nope….my point is the white guys including the relatively few Jewish players in MLB) don’t seem to get nailed as often.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Here’s an out of LF thought, maybe they aren’t cheating? Also, there’s probably a much higher rate of PED use from Latin America because those drugs aren’t illegal there…

• indaburg - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Your comment made me wonder about the racial/cultural breakdown of major leaguers suspended by MLB–specifically “if he were black” so I analyzed Baseball Almanac’s list of players suspended. To no surprise, the overwhelming number of those suspended are of Hispanic heritage, but black players were suspended fewer times than white players. Since 2005, when MLB first started suspensions, a total of 37 major leaguers have been suspended, for a total of 39 suspensions (two players were suspended twice).

The racial breakdown of the 37 players:
      Black — 4
      White — 7
      Hispanic — 25
      Asian — 1

Of those 25 Hispanic players:
      Dominican Republic — 14
      Venezuela — 4
      Cuba — 3
      US — 2
      Panama — 1
      Puerto Rico — 1

Conclusion: Like COPO said, the ease of PED accessibility in Latin American countries coupled with crushing proverty and other socio-economic issues increase the likelihood of usage, which means they’re likelier to get caught and suspended. Also, I need a new hobby.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Thank you.

• historiophiliac - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Wow, great research.

• tubal22 - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Just for some context:

2012 MLB players:

68.2% white
        27.3% latino
        8.8% african-american
        1.9% asian

7. redguy12588 - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM

And who said that the month before spring training started was boring?

8. sirrealrainman - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Wow, that Fed-X guy really has it out for Braun.

9. chacochicken - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM

*Conspiracy Theory* What are the chances that virtually every major league player recently implicated in any sort of PED suspension or suspicion is linked to this clinic? Something is dodgy about these records. I’m not suggesting any of these guys are clean or innocent but how did this place draw in all of the suspended or nearly suspended?

10. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA

Cervelli?!?!?! Should be the first person quoted whenever someone brings up the absurd example that PEDs take a 40 2b hitter to a 40 HR hitter.

11. jessethegreat - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Maybe it was the pitcher Ryan A. Braun?

12. ningenito78 - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:01 PM

(Kicking legs up on table) hey Craig remember all that Braun PED drug test stuff and how some of us were goobers for believing he won on a TECHNICALITY? ‘Member?

13. jessethegreat - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:01 PM

If I were the Brewers outfielder, I would be paying the pitcher with the same name some money really quickly to come forward and say it was him. If they each grab a lawyer and draw up a contract, this could go away really quickly.

14. okwhitefalcon - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Anyone thinks that MLB isn’t frothing at the mouth to get another shot at nailing Braun had better think again.

It’s too bad, Braun’s a helluva player and seems like a good guy but MLB was embarrassed last time when they had him dead to rights with enough testerone to lap the US Postal Service Tour de’ France team.

15. fearthehoody - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Ummm let me guess, Braun will get away again???

• thebadguyswon - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Of course.

16. tfbuckfutter - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Obviously a clerical error.

Probably meant Bryan Brown from Cocktail. Dude is way too shredded to be in his sixties.

• okwhitefalcon - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM

“Coughlin’s Law”

Awesome.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM

D’ya know how to make a red eye?

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Recipe:

6 oz tomato juice
        1 raw egg
        1 oz HGH
        1 beer

• Old Gator - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

You pour that crap over grits????

17. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Shit!

• Old Gator - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Great George Carlin reference!

• dondada10 - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I love you, Gator.

• Old Gator - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Careful. We don’t want to upset Torii Hunter.

• brewcrewfan54 - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM

While a Carlin reference it may be, it was also my actual reaction when I first saw the news.

18. countduku - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Ryan Braun Is/was a PED user. You can cross his name off of any hall of fame ballot, not that he is yet too be worthy of being on one. He will obviously like every other phomy go down dening this until he can no longer do so. Then being the class act he is, he will push the blame one someone/something else… Just watch…

19. otis52gsh - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Who cares. Let them kill them selves. More fun this way. They have all cheated at one point or another. Let it go man.

20. sdemp - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM

This comes as a complete shock to me, I couldn’t imagine in a million years that Ryan Brauns name would ever be linked to PED’s.

21. brooklynboy48 - Feb 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I’ll bet there’s a cellphone picture of Ryan Braun, the lying, cheating bastard with a needle in his ass. 100 games for a second offense and they should take the MVP award and hit him in the head with it. Maybe that will knock some sense into him.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:07 PM

That made me laugh out loud.

22. roseann894 - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Braun was obviously guilty all along. Otherwise he would have released the arbitrator’s decision. No one had jurisdiction over him personally, preventing him doing so. So he prevailed on a hyper-technicality, not because there was actual favorable evidence on the merits.

23. countduku - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Integrety is doing the right thing when nobody is looking. Ryan Braun will never be mistaken for a man with Integrety.

24. cackalackyank - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Wow this is obviously a very thorough, first rate investigation. I mean heck it only took a whole week for them to come up with what is probaly the second most important name dropped in this “story”. Seriously? Do some players cheat? Of course they do! Does the quality of these accusations have the hint of being the gospel truth? NFW

25. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 5, 2013 at 9:20 PM

posting without comment:

• brewcrewfan54 - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Quit making so much sense Wendy! Baseball fans don’t like that when it comes to steroids.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3974)