Feb 5, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
From Jeff Passan and Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports:
Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun‘s name is in records of the Miami-area clinic alleged to have distributed performance-enhancing drugs to a rash of baseball players, and Major League Baseball will investigate the link to the former MVP who tested positive for illegal synthetic testosterone during the 2011 postseason.
Braun was cleared of that 2011 positive test due to what was perceived to be an error in the handling of his urine sample. His name is not listed next to any specific PED transactions in the Biogenesis records, but Major League Baseball will investigate the matter in the hope of learning about the outfielder’s exact level of involvement.
Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli and Orioles third baseman Danny Valencia were also discovered in the records at the Biogenesis clinic but, like Braun, were not listed in connection with a specific PED.
UPDATE, 11:21 PM: Braun says in a written statement that he used Bosch for consulting in his successful PED appeal and that he has “nothing to hide” –
“During the course of preparing for my successful appeal last year, my attorneys, who were previously familiar with Tony Bosch, used him as a consultant. More specifically, he answered questions about T/E ratio and possibilities of tampering with samples. There was a dispute over compensation for Bosch’s work, which is why my lawyer and I are listed under ‘moneys owed’ and not on any other list. I have nothing to hide and have never had any other relationship with Bosch. I will fully cooperate with any inquiry into this matter.”
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 30
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 36
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)