Feb 5, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
From Jeff Passan and Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports:
Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun‘s name is in records of the Miami-area clinic alleged to have distributed performance-enhancing drugs to a rash of baseball players, and Major League Baseball will investigate the link to the former MVP who tested positive for illegal synthetic testosterone during the 2011 postseason.
Braun was cleared of that 2011 positive test due to what was perceived to be an error in the handling of his urine sample. His name is not listed next to any specific PED transactions in the Biogenesis records, but Major League Baseball will investigate the matter in the hope of learning about the outfielder’s exact level of involvement.
Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli and Orioles third baseman Danny Valencia were also discovered in the records at the Biogenesis clinic but, like Braun, were not listed in connection with a specific PED.
UPDATE, 11:21 PM: Braun says in a written statement that he used Bosch for consulting in his successful PED appeal and that he has “nothing to hide” —
“During the course of preparing for my successful appeal last year, my attorneys, who were previously familiar with Tony Bosch, used him as a consultant. More specifically, he answered questions about T/E ratio and possibilities of tampering with samples. There was a dispute over compensation for Bosch’s work, which is why my lawyer and I are listed under ‘moneys owed’ and not on any other list. I have nothing to hide and have never had any other relationship with Bosch. I will fully cooperate with any inquiry into this matter.”
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 23
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 75
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)