Feb 5, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
From Jeff Passan and Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports:
Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun‘s name is in records of the Miami-area clinic alleged to have distributed performance-enhancing drugs to a rash of baseball players, and Major League Baseball will investigate the link to the former MVP who tested positive for illegal synthetic testosterone during the 2011 postseason.
Braun was cleared of that 2011 positive test due to what was perceived to be an error in the handling of his urine sample. His name is not listed next to any specific PED transactions in the Biogenesis records, but Major League Baseball will investigate the matter in the hope of learning about the outfielder’s exact level of involvement.
Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli and Orioles third baseman Danny Valencia were also discovered in the records at the Biogenesis clinic but, like Braun, were not listed in connection with a specific PED.
UPDATE, 11:21 PM: Braun says in a written statement that he used Bosch for consulting in his successful PED appeal and that he has “nothing to hide” —
“During the course of preparing for my successful appeal last year, my attorneys, who were previously familiar with Tony Bosch, used him as a consultant. More specifically, he answered questions about T/E ratio and possibilities of tampering with samples. There was a dispute over compensation for Bosch’s work, which is why my lawyer and I are listed under ‘moneys owed’ and not on any other list. I have nothing to hide and have never had any other relationship with Bosch. I will fully cooperate with any inquiry into this matter.”
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)