Feb 5, 2013, 6:05 AM EDT
Sandy Alderson told the Newark Star-Ledger yesterday that he is having “ongoing” discussions with Scott Boras over Michael Bourn. He added, however, that he is perfectly content to go into the season with the outfield he has.
Ahem. Given (a) the quality of the outfield he has; and (b) the fact that he’s negotiating with a guy who himself, just yesterday, was caught making up crap, I think it’s safe to say that Alderson himself has little incentive to be truly forthcoming here. And we should not expect him to be.
Indeed, between the Boras factor and the ongoing uncertainty regarding whether the Mets would have to give up a first round draft pick for Bourn, I would expect this to remain in the category of full-blown kabuki theater until the moment Bourn signs someplace.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)