Feb 5, 2013, 6:05 AM EST
Sandy Alderson told the Newark Star-Ledger yesterday that he is having “ongoing” discussions with Scott Boras over Michael Bourn. He added, however, that he is perfectly content to go into the season with the outfield he has.
Ahem. Given (a) the quality of the outfield he has; and (b) the fact that he’s negotiating with a guy who himself, just yesterday, was caught making up crap, I think it’s safe to say that Alderson himself has little incentive to be truly forthcoming here. And we should not expect him to be.
Indeed, between the Boras factor and the ongoing uncertainty regarding whether the Mets would have to give up a first round draft pick for Bourn, I would expect this to remain in the category of full-blown kabuki theater until the moment Bourn signs someplace.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 7
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 14
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)