Feb 5, 2013, 6:05 AM EST
Sandy Alderson told the Newark Star-Ledger yesterday that he is having “ongoing” discussions with Scott Boras over Michael Bourn. He added, however, that he is perfectly content to go into the season with the outfield he has.
Ahem. Given (a) the quality of the outfield he has; and (b) the fact that he’s negotiating with a guy who himself, just yesterday, was caught making up crap, I think it’s safe to say that Alderson himself has little incentive to be truly forthcoming here. And we should not expect him to be.
Indeed, between the Boras factor and the ongoing uncertainty regarding whether the Mets would have to give up a first round draft pick for Bourn, I would expect this to remain in the category of full-blown kabuki theater until the moment Bourn signs someplace.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 37
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 34
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (78)