Feb 5, 2013, 6:05 AM EST
Sandy Alderson told the Newark Star-Ledger yesterday that he is having “ongoing” discussions with Scott Boras over Michael Bourn. He added, however, that he is perfectly content to go into the season with the outfield he has.
Ahem. Given (a) the quality of the outfield he has; and (b) the fact that he’s negotiating with a guy who himself, just yesterday, was caught making up crap, I think it’s safe to say that Alderson himself has little incentive to be truly forthcoming here. And we should not expect him to be.
Indeed, between the Boras factor and the ongoing uncertainty regarding whether the Mets would have to give up a first round draft pick for Bourn, I would expect this to remain in the category of full-blown kabuki theater until the moment Bourn signs someplace.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (81)