Feb 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
This is fun and rather random: MLB Network is debuting a new series next week called “The Next Knuckler.” The concept: several former college (and pro) quarterbacks are going to learn to throw a knuckleball under the instruction of Tim Wakefield. The best knuckleballer at the end of the series will get an invite to Arizona Diamondbacks’ spring training. The quarterbacks: John David Booty, Josh Booty, Doug Flutie, David Greene and Ryan Perrilloux.
Don’t count out the old man in this one. I met Flutie last summer and learned that he plays in a pretty hardcore over-30 baseball league. And it turns out that he’s actually really good. It would not shock me at all if he made it.
As for what “making it” means. I assume it’s a Garth Brooks-taking-BP-with-the-Padres-level invitation. Meaning a cameo at Dbacks camp and nothing more.
It’d be far more interesting if they did it at Astros camp. Dudes may actually have a shot at making the team.
The show debuts on Wednesday, February 13th at 9PM.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)