Feb 6, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Twins right-hander Anthony Swarzak is expected to be sidelined for a month after fracturing two ribs in what the team is calling a “non-baseball activity.”
Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports that it happened on January 25, so the Twins hope he can be back on a mound by the end of this month.
With pitchers and catchers arriving at spring training next week Swarzak will definitely be behind everyone else, but his spot as a long reliever seems fairly secure after throwing 199 innings with a 4.67 ERA during the past two seasons.
UPDATE: General manager Terry Ryan revealed that Swarzak suffered the injury “playing around and wrestling” with teammates while in town for Twins Fest last week.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)