Feb 6, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Twins right-hander Anthony Swarzak is expected to be sidelined for a month after fracturing two ribs in what the team is calling a “non-baseball activity.”
Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports that it happened on January 25, so the Twins hope he can be back on a mound by the end of this month.
With pitchers and catchers arriving at spring training next week Swarzak will definitely be behind everyone else, but his spot as a long reliever seems fairly secure after throwing 199 innings with a 4.67 ERA during the past two seasons.
UPDATE: General manager Terry Ryan revealed that Swarzak suffered the injury “playing around and wrestling” with teammates while in town for Twins Fest last week.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)