Feb 6, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Twins right-hander Anthony Swarzak is expected to be sidelined for a month after fracturing two ribs in what the team is calling a “non-baseball activity.”
Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports that it happened on January 25, so the Twins hope he can be back on a mound by the end of this month.
With pitchers and catchers arriving at spring training next week Swarzak will definitely be behind everyone else, but his spot as a long reliever seems fairly secure after throwing 199 innings with a 4.67 ERA during the past two seasons.
UPDATE: General manager Terry Ryan revealed that Swarzak suffered the injury “playing around and wrestling” with teammates while in town for Twins Fest last week.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)