Feb 6, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Twins right-hander Anthony Swarzak is expected to be sidelined for a month after fracturing two ribs in what the team is calling a “non-baseball activity.”
Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports that it happened on January 25, so the Twins hope he can be back on a mound by the end of this month.
With pitchers and catchers arriving at spring training next week Swarzak will definitely be behind everyone else, but his spot as a long reliever seems fairly secure after throwing 199 innings with a 4.67 ERA during the past two seasons.
UPDATE: General manager Terry Ryan revealed that Swarzak suffered the injury “playing around and wrestling” with teammates while in town for Twins Fest last week.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 25
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 24
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 57
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)