Feb 6, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Twins right-hander Anthony Swarzak is expected to be sidelined for a month after fracturing two ribs in what the team is calling a “non-baseball activity.”
Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports that it happened on January 25, so the Twins hope he can be back on a mound by the end of this month.
With pitchers and catchers arriving at spring training next week Swarzak will definitely be behind everyone else, but his spot as a long reliever seems fairly secure after throwing 199 innings with a 4.67 ERA during the past two seasons.
UPDATE: General manager Terry Ryan revealed that Swarzak suffered the injury “playing around and wrestling” with teammates while in town for Twins Fest last week.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)