Feb 6, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
The “thing” he means is his time and legacy in Boston. His comments come in the course of this long, in-depth interview with Lackey by Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe.
No one was and maybe still is held in lower esteem by Boston fans than Lackey, but Abraham and his interview subjects paint a picture of a misunderstood man who knows he has a lot to prove and seems to be doing the things he needs to do to prove it. Now the most important part comes: actually delivering on the field.
It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Lackey this year. A lot of unpopular people consider themselves “misunderstood.” A lot of seemingly bad behavior by athletes is explained by their competitive nature or their focus on the game as opposed to p.r. And of course, sometimes jerks just are jerks and the spring is when they try to get fresh start with these “new man, new attitude” kind of stories.
I have no idea what to expect from the guy or if this is baloney or something real. But Lackey is now on record and he has to live up to what he’s promising in this interview.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)