Feb 6, 2013, 3:04 PM EST
The “thing” he means is his time and legacy in Boston. His comments come in the course of this long, in-depth interview with Lackey by Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe.
No one was and maybe still is held in lower esteem by Boston fans than Lackey, but Abraham and his interview subjects paint a picture of a misunderstood man who knows he has a lot to prove and seems to be doing the things he needs to do to prove it. Now the most important part comes: actually delivering on the field.
It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Lackey this year. A lot of unpopular people consider themselves “misunderstood.” A lot of seemingly bad behavior by athletes is explained by their competitive nature or their focus on the game as opposed to p.r. And of course, sometimes jerks just are jerks and the spring is when they try to get fresh start with these “new man, new attitude” kind of stories.
I have no idea what to expect from the guy or if this is baloney or something real. But Lackey is now on record and he has to live up to what he’s promising in this interview.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27