John Lackey: “This thing isn’t over”

Feb 6, 2013, 3:04 PM EST

John Lackey AP

The “thing” he means is his time and legacy in Boston.  His comments come in the course of this long, in-depth interview with Lackey by Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe.

No one was and maybe still is held in lower esteem by Boston fans than Lackey, but Abraham and his interview subjects paint a picture of a misunderstood man who knows he has a lot to prove and seems to be doing the things he needs to do to prove it. Now the most important part comes: actually delivering on the field.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Lackey this year. A lot of unpopular people consider themselves “misunderstood.” A lot of seemingly bad behavior by athletes is explained by their competitive nature or their focus on the game as opposed to p.r.  And of course, sometimes jerks just are jerks and the spring is when they try to get fresh start with these “new man, new attitude” kind of stories.

I have no idea what to expect from the guy or if this is baloney or something real.  But Lackey is now on record and he has to live up to what he’s promising in this interview.

1. Gobias Industries - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I swear, if one person makes a fried chicken and beer joke, I’m gonna burn this place down.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I’m gonna burn this place down.

What are your credentials? I’m afraid I’m going to have to see your resume before I’m permitted to consider this option. Has you ever burned a place down in your life?? Do you know the first thing about arson in these kinds of cases??

Sorry, had to :)

• Gobias Industries - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Right back at ya: http://i.imgur.com/sJBkCv6.gif

• buggieowens - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I read that chicken fat and alcohol makes an excellent (fire) accelerant.

2. chacochicken - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM

He needs the proper perspective. In his next interview he needs to say, ” I have heard a lot of criticism about my performance and contract and in response I’d like to remind everyone that I am not Ryan Braun.”

3. bobwsc - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM

“No one was and maybe still is held in lower esteem by Boston fans than Lackey,”

really? Carl Everett and Wil Cordero come to mind. and fair or not (pretty much not), Damon, Boggs and Clemens were skewered as well.

• rvnc - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM

There is another name that comes to mind. I won’t mention him for fear of inciting Sox fans, but i’m sure we all know who i’m talking about…

• riverace19 - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Manny and Beckett come to mind. There have also been several other quitters. Lackey was done years ago. He may be the worst starting pitcher in baseball with one of the highest salaries.

• oldpaddy - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I’ll bite, who?

• rvnc - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I won’t say the name, but ‘ground ball up the first base line’ should be enough.

• buggieowens - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM

that used to be true….until the cathartic 2004 season. Then all was forgiven

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I still want to run Jose Offerman over with a dirt bike.

• Joe - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Oops, there’s Offerman. Spoke too soon!

I forgot to mention Daisuke. Sox fans hate Daisuke.

• Joe - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

What? No Jose Offerman?

Julio Lugo, Carl Crawford and J.D. Drew aren’t fondly recalled by many Sox fans.

And don’t get me STARTED on that effing Nick Punto!

• hockeyflow33 - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM

JD Drew was a catalyst to the 07 WS win, don’t buy the EEI hype

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM

It’s hard to hate JD Drew.

He’s just a huge crybaby who they paid too much to. But at least he played to his potential most of the time when he played.

I don’t buy into the “He hit 25 homers just 3 years ago, so maybe this trade will work out if he bounces back into form” mindset that they used to try and ply us with…..but I DO expect a player to at least perform to realistic expectations.

That is why I detest players like Offerman who could only muster a hot streak when there was real pressure of losing his job, then he’d play well enough to get the pressure off and his average would be high enough that you don’t notice he’s hit under .150 for two weeks. And Derek Lowe, who would always exceed expectations, and then absolutely flop when you count on him. Great middle reliever, move him to closer and he’s lights out so you don’t pursue a closer, and then he implodes. Move him to the rotation expecting a solid 4 or 5 out of him….and he almost wins the Cy Young. Then he’s average. Then he’s terrible.

Troy O’Leary? Decent player…..no unrealistic expectations. We don’t want you to be Albert Belle. Just put up your .280/20+/80 line and you can stay as long as you want. Let personal issues drag your OPS+ way under 100? Screw you, jerk.

• oldpaddy - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I don’t think Damon was skewered THAT bad. He’s definitely not in the same club as clemens, lackey, boggs or Grady little. Those scum bags are HATED!

• hockeyflow33 - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Other than pink hats, who hates Damon?

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I don’t hate Damon for leaving because his asking price was ridiculous.

I do hate him for selling out, signing with the Yankees and cutting his hair after declaring he would never play for New York.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I hate him for cutting his hair. Yeah, right!

• whatthehellisansky - Feb 6, 2013 at 11:34 PM

so let me ask you- if rocket did (and i think eventually he will) get into the hall of fame- im guessing you wouldnt want him wearing a sox hat on his plaque?- you know- because hes ‘HATED’ by sawx nation..

• oldpaddy - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM

IF Clemens gets in the hof, I hope he doesn’t wear a sox cap.

4. uyf1950 - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Just my opinion but the best thing that can happen to and for Lackey is for him to be traded. I look at him as another A.J. Burnett. Burnett was garbage with the Yankees for 2 years and then was able to turn things around when he went to the Pirates, maybe Lackey needs the same thing to happen to him. Go to another club and perhaps it will change his mojo.

• pisano - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM

uyf1950….. that, plus stay off the alcohol, the guy has a real problem, and this isn’t a chicken and beer joke.

5. hockeyflow33 - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Not only is Lackey garbage on the field, he’s a piece of garbage off it as well. We don’t need another fluff piece written by this mongoloid telling us that Red Sox brass thinks Lackey will really step up his game.

There’s lots of things the people of Boston will put up with but leaving your cancer-stricken wife isn’t one of them. This city hopes you blow out your shoulder again.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Hate much?

6. j0esixpack - Feb 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Misunderstood?

Fans understand wins. There is no room for misunderstanding.

7. iamjimmyjack - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:46 PM

John it was over when u left the angels. Thanks for the World Series, now hang em up. You wanted Boston, you got Boston.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester