Feb 6, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Leake was arbitration eligible for the first time after throwing 179 innings with a 4.58 ERA and 116/41 K/BB ratio last season and requested $3.5 million while the Reds countered at $2.65 million.
Leake was the eighth overall pick in the 2009 draft and arrived with a lot of hype in 2010, but through 485 career innings he has a 4.23 ERA and just 6.0 strikeouts per nine frames. He’s also still just 25 years old, but Leake is a year away from getting expensive and two years away from free agency.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)