Feb 6, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Leake was arbitration eligible for the first time after throwing 179 innings with a 4.58 ERA and 116/41 K/BB ratio last season and requested $3.5 million while the Reds countered at $2.65 million.
Leake was the eighth overall pick in the 2009 draft and arrived with a lot of hype in 2010, but through 485 career innings he has a 4.23 ERA and just 6.0 strikeouts per nine frames. He’s also still just 25 years old, but Leake is a year away from getting expensive and two years away from free agency.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming