Feb 6, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Michael Weiner’s primary duty in the MLBPA to be its Executive Director. But since his elevation to that post in 2009, he has maintained his former title as general counsel as well, operating in both capacities. Today the MLBPA announced that it has elevated its Chief Labor Counsel Dave Prouty to the position of general counsel, leaving Weiner as Executive Director.
There was no reason given for the move. It’s probably worth noting, though, that Weiner has been fighting cancer since last summer. Some reporters have mentioned on Twitter that there may be a further update on that today. Here’s hoping that this change in management structure is not due to his health turning for the worse.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 0
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 16
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 21
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)