Feb 6, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Michael Weiner’s primary duty in the MLBPA to be its Executive Director. But since his elevation to that post in 2009, he has maintained his former title as general counsel as well, operating in both capacities. Today the MLBPA announced that it has elevated its Chief Labor Counsel Dave Prouty to the position of general counsel, leaving Weiner as Executive Director.
There was no reason given for the move. It’s probably worth noting, though, that Weiner has been fighting cancer since last summer. Some reporters have mentioned on Twitter that there may be a further update on that today. Here’s hoping that this change in management structure is not due to his health turning for the worse.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 285
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (285)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)