Feb 6, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Michael Weiner’s primary duty in the MLBPA to be its Executive Director. But since his elevation to that post in 2009, he has maintained his former title as general counsel as well, operating in both capacities. Today the MLBPA announced that it has elevated its Chief Labor Counsel Dave Prouty to the position of general counsel, leaving Weiner as Executive Director.
There was no reason given for the move. It’s probably worth noting, though, that Weiner has been fighting cancer since last summer. Some reporters have mentioned on Twitter that there may be a further update on that today. Here’s hoping that this change in management structure is not due to his health turning for the worse.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)