Feb 6, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Michael Weiner’s primary duty in the MLBPA to be its Executive Director. But since his elevation to that post in 2009, he has maintained his former title as general counsel as well, operating in both capacities. Today the MLBPA announced that it has elevated its Chief Labor Counsel Dave Prouty to the position of general counsel, leaving Weiner as Executive Director.
There was no reason given for the move. It’s probably worth noting, though, that Weiner has been fighting cancer since last summer. Some reporters have mentioned on Twitter that there may be a further update on that today. Here’s hoping that this change in management structure is not due to his health turning for the worse.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)