Feb 6, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Michael Weiner’s primary duty in the MLBPA to be its Executive Director. But since his elevation to that post in 2009, he has maintained his former title as general counsel as well, operating in both capacities. Today the MLBPA announced that it has elevated its Chief Labor Counsel Dave Prouty to the position of general counsel, leaving Weiner as Executive Director.
There was no reason given for the move. It’s probably worth noting, though, that Weiner has been fighting cancer since last summer. Some reporters have mentioned on Twitter that there may be a further update on that today. Here’s hoping that this change in management structure is not due to his health turning for the worse.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)