Feb 6, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
From Matt Eddy of Baseball America comes word that the Phillies have signed infielder Matt Tolbert to a minor league contract. The deal does not carry an invitation to major league camp, so Tolbert will not be in the running for a spot on the Opening Day roster.
The 30-year-old former 16th-round pick of the Twins spent the entire 2012 season with the Cubs’ Triple-A affiliate in Iowa, hitting .240/.313/.304 with one home run, nine SBs and 13 RBI in 375 plate appearances.
He hit .198/.252/.266 with no homers, three stolen bases and 13 RBI over 226 plate appearances with Minnesota in 2011.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29