Feb 6, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Once upon a time Sanchez looked like a very promising young left-hander, but control problems have consistently wrecked any chance he had of emerging as a front-line starter and he was an absolute mess last season with an 8.07 ERA in 65 innings for the Royals and Rockies.
Kansas City gave up Melky Cabrera to get Sanchez from San Francisco last offseason and then he walked more batters than he struck out, was traded to Colorado, and then shut down in August with arm problems.
Sanchez had a 3.75 ERA in 458 innings from 2009-2011, so he’s not that far removed from being a plenty useful pitcher, but last season was so bad that it’s tough to imagine a successful bounce back.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 0
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)