Previewing today’s Ryan Braun idiocy

Feb 6, 2013, 7:05 AM EDT

ryan braun wide getty Getty Images

The Ryan Braun/Biogenesis report from Yahoo! came out in the evening, so most big columnists and opinion-spinners haven’t yet had a crack at it beyond their initial “oh man, Ryan Braun!” reactions.  But rest assured they’ll be out in full force today.

This is Ryan Braun after all. And the anger at him from the anti-PED zealots is extreme. In some cases maybe even more extreme than it is against A-Rod because Braun is seen as having slipped the hangman’s noose last year when he successfully appealed his suspension for testing positive for testosterone. The fact that he did so because the testers failed to follow the rules is irrelevant to them because that’s part of the due process owed the accused in baseball’s drug testing program and these folks don’t much care for due process.

And so it is with Braun Scandal 2.0.  His name showed up in Biogenesis records. Never mind that it, unlike the other players, wasn’t linked to any PEDs. Never mind that his official statement — that his lawyers used Dr. Bosch as a consultant during his appeal last year — is eminently plausible and worth exploring before we rush to judgment.  As per last year’s example we’re apparently allowed to pick and choose the facts when our outrage is at stake, so him merely being in those records are all that will likely matter when the Outrage Industrial Complex gets going.

Among the things I fully expect from the Outrage Industrial Complex later today:

• People who trust Bosch’s records as 100% accurate insofar as they implicate ballplayers will claim that he is far too sloppy and untrustworthy to have served as a consultant for Braun;
  • People who have never litigated nor consulted a day in their lives will claim that it makes no sense for Braun’s litigators to have used Bosch as a consultant (Morosi is already on this one). The Outrage Industrial Complex LOVES to act like they know the first thing about the law in these kinds of cases;
  • People unconcerned with the actual facts of the situation will be quick to talk about how this is “poetic justice” and or “ironic” — and they will inevitably misuse the word “ironic” in doing so — for Braun to be ensnared again. And of course there will be no desire whatsoever by these people to actually let the investigation proceed beyond the 12 hour mark before deciding such things.

I’m sure there will be other examples. The news business comes at you fast. There’s no time for actually waiting for information to come out and/or be authenticated before drawing conclusions from it. That’s amateurish and naive.  Or at least that’s what people tell me.

Here’s hoping none of them never find themselves under fire for something and face the same sort of treatment to which they subject others.

144 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. stercuilus65 - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM

“The fact that he did so because the testers failed to follow the rules is irrelevant to them”

Absolute BS, Craig. You are a joke.

• 1chinatown - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

No, he is one of the few sane people commenting on this. Let me ask of you this.

Are there dates on those scraps of paper?. I have not found any article that has mentioned that.

Why is that Relevant? Well, if all of this began before the initial allegations in 2011, then it is all moot. He employed them as experts. The info they gave was not worth the $20 to 30 large that they were charged. With all due respect, I have worked with people of the Jewish persuasion all my life. They are extremely frugal with their money. Ryan is a business man, and has taken his hometown discount and built outside interests to add to his earnings. He is not going to pay someone for services not rendered.

Think this through before you give some inane comment.

2. offthelows - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Craig is really stepping out on a ledge here. Me, I’d rather just watch it play out. No need to make a decision either way. I’m sure more information will come forward in time.

3. byjiminy - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Craig, I wish you wouldn’t tar everyone with the same brush. Like me for instance.

I don’t find it self-contradictory at all to believe that someitmes someone should go unpunished, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t do it. I think

1) If due process is not followed, someone should be left alone; we shouldn’t even hear about the investigation.

2) I am still free to form my own opinion, which is that if his sealed drug sample contained testosterone, he was juicing.

Hence, he’s guilty, but he should go unpunished. No contradiction; punishments must be by the book.

Does that make me a “zealot” who “cares nothing for due process”? I would say, no. And you’re starting to piss me off with these constant insults to a broad group that apparently includes me.

I care a great deal about due process. Protecting the rights of the accused is essential. Ryan Braun’s rights were violated. He should not be punished. But he still took PED’s. None of this changes my personal opinion of his guilt. Maybe I shouldn’t know he failed a drug test, but I do.

I have yet to see any mechanism for testosterone to spontaneously appear in a sealed vial. If you find one, let me know. But until then, I’m still going to think he was a cheater who got off.

• byjiminy - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM

(Just to clarify, it’s the synthetic testosterone in his sample that’s damning. Obviously he’s entitled to a little natural testosterone of his own; that’s not at issue.)

4. iamjimmyjack - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM

This article is outdated. First Braun said that he consulted with the drug peddler. But now the latest statement says that in fact they never were in contact with Bosch at all. Which one is it? Braun is a dirty liar and a Cheater who stole Matt kemps rightful MVP award. There should be no place in baseball for ppl like himself. If baseball wants its credibility than kick these steroid users out of baseball for good.

5. iamjimmyjack - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Good ole bud selig has a warm fuzzy place in his heart for Braun and the brewers. Nothing will come of this news.

6. dwdive - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM

What a joke, this guy is as guilty as sin. I guess were are supposed to think everything is a coincidence AGAIN? This guy tested positive and he knows it. Now he’s linked the the EXACT thing he tested positive for, and we are giving him ANOTHER pass? What a F*cking JOKE! This guy is a cheat and we all know it.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate