Feb 6, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
The other day there was a report that Jose Valverde and the Miami Marlins were close to a deal. It was immediately — and vehemently — shot down by the Marlins, who took the unusual step of actually saying it was Scott Boras spreading baloney in an effort to create a market for his client.
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald spoke to Boras who says he didn’t do it. He said that when Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes called him, he denied anything imminent between Valverde and the Marlins and said Rojas ran with the story too quickly. Boras went on to add that there is no incentive for him to create a rumor about one of his players linked to a specific team because such a thing would be too easily refuted.
Good point. Boras is the guy who created the “mystery team” concept. It suits his purposes far more for there to be non-named teams falling all over themselves to sign his guys. If he puts a name to it that uncertainty is lost.
Or that’s what he wants us to think …
God, the offseason is so confusing.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 42
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (103)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional