Feb 6, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
The other day there was a report that Jose Valverde and the Miami Marlins were close to a deal. It was immediately — and vehemently — shot down by the Marlins, who took the unusual step of actually saying it was Scott Boras spreading baloney in an effort to create a market for his client.
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald spoke to Boras who says he didn’t do it. He said that when Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes called him, he denied anything imminent between Valverde and the Marlins and said Rojas ran with the story too quickly. Boras went on to add that there is no incentive for him to create a rumor about one of his players linked to a specific team because such a thing would be too easily refuted.
Good point. Boras is the guy who created the “mystery team” concept. It suits his purposes far more for there to be non-named teams falling all over themselves to sign his guys. If he puts a name to it that uncertainty is lost.
Or that’s what he wants us to think …
God, the offseason is so confusing.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)