Feb 6, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
The other day there was a report that Jose Valverde and the Miami Marlins were close to a deal. It was immediately — and vehemently — shot down by the Marlins, who took the unusual step of actually saying it was Scott Boras spreading baloney in an effort to create a market for his client.
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald spoke to Boras who says he didn’t do it. He said that when Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes called him, he denied anything imminent between Valverde and the Marlins and said Rojas ran with the story too quickly. Boras went on to add that there is no incentive for him to create a rumor about one of his players linked to a specific team because such a thing would be too easily refuted.
Good point. Boras is the guy who created the “mystery team” concept. It suits his purposes far more for there to be non-named teams falling all over themselves to sign his guys. If he puts a name to it that uncertainty is lost.
Or that’s what he wants us to think …
God, the offseason is so confusing.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)