Feb 6, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
The Michael Bourn stalemate had previously been described as Bourn wanting a five year deal and the Mets being unwilling to go beyond three. Viva compromise, as Joel Sherman notes in the middle of his piece about the Scott Boras-Mets game of chicken, that Sandy Alderson has hinted he will go as many as four years for Bourn.
It’s a good piece beyond that nugget, as it notes the usual Boras pattern: bluffs, followed by bluffs being called by teams, followed by Boras shocking everyone and actually finding deals that more or less matched the bluffs. He’s a fascinating dude.
As of now it’s hard to see who else has a real interest in Bourn besides the Mets. But it was hard to see who else was going to sign a lot of Boras clients just before they signed big deals.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)