Feb 6, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
The Michael Bourn stalemate had previously been described as Bourn wanting a five year deal and the Mets being unwilling to go beyond three. Viva compromise, as Joel Sherman notes in the middle of his piece about the Scott Boras-Mets game of chicken, that Sandy Alderson has hinted he will go as many as four years for Bourn.
It’s a good piece beyond that nugget, as it notes the usual Boras pattern: bluffs, followed by bluffs being called by teams, followed by Boras shocking everyone and actually finding deals that more or less matched the bluffs. He’s a fascinating dude.
As of now it’s hard to see who else has a real interest in Bourn besides the Mets. But it was hard to see who else was going to sign a lot of Boras clients just before they signed big deals.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)