Todd Helton arrested for DUI in Colorado

Feb 6, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT

todd helton dui mugshot

Todd Helton was arrested last night in Colorado and charged with driving under the influence.

Helton was pulled over at 2:39 a.m. and 9-NEWS in Colorado reports that “a witness contacted Thornton Police when they witnessed a black Ford F-150 pick-up truck driving erratically.” He was then booked, processed, and released to a “responsible party.”

Here’s an official statement from the Rockies addressing the arrest:

We were extremely disappointed to learn that Todd was arrested this morning. This type of behavior is taken very seriously by our organization. We know that he clearly understands the seriousness of his poor decision, the harm that could have been inflicted on others and the embarrassment his mistake has caused to himself, his family, the Colorado Rockies organization and to Major League Baseball.

Todd is taking full accountability for his actions with his family, his fans and the organization. The man we have grown to know has strong values that are grounded in his family and hard work. Todd clearly understands the severity of the situation.

As always it’ll be interesting to see the media, fan, and MLB reaction to this relative to, say, steroids stuff.

UPDATE: Helton also released an official statement of his own:

Last evening I exercised poor judgment and was charged with drinking and driving after driving to a gas station near my house. I am very sorry and embarrassed by my actions. I hold myself to a high standard and take my responsibility as a public figure very seriously. My entire career I have worked to set a positive example for my family and in our community and I fell far short of this standard.

I sincerely ask my family, the Colorado Rockies Organization, Major League Baseball and the community to accept my apology. I make no excuses and accept full responsibility for my actions. I humbly ask your forgiveness.

1. brianabbe - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM

So Jonathon Singleton has some hits of weed, probably at home, and gets 50 games. Meanwhile, Helton, like Cabrera and Choo before him, jeopardizes the lives of innocent people with a terrible decision, and gets 0 games? That makes sense.

• buggieowens - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I’m sorry I can’t give you more than one thumb-up.

• dondada10 - Feb 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I used firefox and then dusted off my internet explorer. Shit, I’m about to download chrome and whip my phone out.

• crumbley - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Pot isn’t tested for in MLB, is in minors.

• brianabbe - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM

True, but DUIs aren’t enforced at any level. It’s just flat out hypocrisy at any level. I wouldn’t say they need 50 games. That’s a bit excessive, but players should be suspended 10 games for a DUI. Double it for the second offense (Cabrera), and require an alcohol class and a personally assigned (Paid for by the player) driver for at least one year. When even league minimum plays $500,000, it’s even less excusable to not pay for a cab. From what I understand as well, every team has a guy you can call during Spring Training and the season to come pick you up as necessary. It’s even more ridiculous if you drop the ball in that time frame.

We’ve all made the mistake more than likely. I’ll admit that. It’s just stupid to not punish these actions within the game in some way while you punish others. I’ll take 25 pot smokers any day over 25 players getting a DUI.

2. dawglb - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Todd, I accept your apology. Thankfully, you didn’t hurt or kill anyone. If you did, that would be a completely different apology. Half the people ripping you are guilty of driving when they shouldn’t have.

• badintent - Feb 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM

MLB=NFL Police blotter lists. Way to go boys,just shows concussions don’t causeall stupid decisions. Keep up the great work, ABA lawyers are just killing it $$$$$$

• captainwisdom8888 - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:01 AM

for real we have all done it. its just that when he does it the whole world knows. i respect anyone who doesnt make excuses for their wrongdoings and takes it on the chin like a man, rather than cower like a bi***

that aside, hes an old dude, one would expect him to have more sense than that. Yet were saying the same thing about Mark Grace

• brianabbe - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:16 AM

I’m not ripping Helton so much as I rip the stupid suspension rules. I think most people would agree they’ve made that foolish decision and got away with it in the past, or not.

The guy made a mistake, and I accept his apology so long it is never happens again. He still should be suspended though.

3. willcoop62 - Feb 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Good question buggie. I see more prescription drug use, meth or coke than weed. We see weed but because its relly not detectable until we get them to a medical facility the laws for some reason seems to lean very hard towards alcohol. If the person in the vehicle had the drug on them it makes it easy. But we can test alcohol on sight and it helps get the conviction. So to answer the question we see it but not as often as alcohol. And that doesn’t men to go hit the road after a few tokes buggie, lol.

4. willcoop62 - Feb 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Also Buggie I have detained drivers for using medications while they were sick or drivers who have not slept for over 20 hours which is the equivalent of being DUI. That’s one of the biggest things we are seeing, drivers not properly rested while they are on the road. I can gurantee that Helton has done this plenty of times and may have even gotten caught but because officers get star struck they give them a pass and that allows guys like Helton to keep ignoring the the facts that they are only a moment awáy from hitting an innocent bystander.

• buggieowens - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Thank you for your answer and for taking my question seriously. I personally am much more worried about people who text while driving than weed users. And you seem, from your words, to be one of the good cops, who are always heroes to me.

5. thebadguyswon - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Amazing how guys this rich can get to a point where they just don’t have their shit together.

• monkeyjuice313 - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Alcohol doesn’t discriminate

• stercuilus65 - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Yeah blame the alcohol.

6. blingslade - Feb 6, 2013 at 9:05 PM

There are so many drugs out there, why do people choose one of the worst ones to screw up their entire lives?

7. dondada10 - Feb 6, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Gas station? At 2 am? Was he making a beer run?

8. butchhuskey - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM

These guys have millions of dollars – why don’t they just hire a driver to take them where they need to go?

9. malibudave66 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Wicop62 has it right! I know T 1st base feels bad and ashamed he is a great guy father and Role model but at the end of the day we all have vehicles that kill and putting alcohol in our system is no good!!! I’m glad that know one was hurt! Learn from this folks!!!!

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3948)