Todd Helton arrested for DUI in Colorado

Feb 6, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT

todd helton dui mugshot

Todd Helton was arrested last night in Colorado and charged with driving under the influence.

Helton was pulled over at 2:39 a.m. and 9-NEWS in Colorado reports that “a witness contacted Thornton Police when they witnessed a black Ford F-150 pick-up truck driving erratically.” He was then booked, processed, and released to a “responsible party.”

Here’s an official statement from the Rockies addressing the arrest:

We were extremely disappointed to learn that Todd was arrested this morning. This type of behavior is taken very seriously by our organization. We know that he clearly understands the seriousness of his poor decision, the harm that could have been inflicted on others and the embarrassment his mistake has caused to himself, his family, the Colorado Rockies organization and to Major League Baseball.

Todd is taking full accountability for his actions with his family, his fans and the organization. The man we have grown to know has strong values that are grounded in his family and hard work. Todd clearly understands the severity of the situation.

As always it’ll be interesting to see the media, fan, and MLB reaction to this relative to, say, steroids stuff.

UPDATE: Helton also released an official statement of his own:

Last evening I exercised poor judgment and was charged with drinking and driving after driving to a gas station near my house. I am very sorry and embarrassed by my actions. I hold myself to a high standard and take my responsibility as a public figure very seriously. My entire career I have worked to set a positive example for my family and in our community and I fell far short of this standard.

I sincerely ask my family, the Colorado Rockies Organization, Major League Baseball and the community to accept my apology. I make no excuses and accept full responsibility for my actions. I humbly ask your forgiveness.

1. mianfr - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Same charge, different name.

2. kruegere - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Nobody is perfect, this is a great, yet shocking, reminder of that.

3. manifunk - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM

“So his actions resulted in threatening the lives of others. Big whoop. Not worth a suspension or anything. Wait, Ryan Braun’s name was written WHERE?!?!” – Selig, MSM

4. raidergreg2000 - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Have a drink on me Todd!

5. dexterismyhero - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Roids……….

6. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Anyone who would write or even think that driving drunk is comparable to taking steroids is a complete fool.

• manifunk - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Agreed. DUIs are in a whole other realm of bad behavior and a whole lot worse.

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Well, on an outrage scale, on should cause a lot more than others. Drunk driving kills 11,000 people a year.

According to the CDC, 3 people die a year are killed by steroids.

• magicrat13 - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM

exactly….

and generally, steriods are self inflicted…or at least, taken with your own knowledge and acceptance…therefore if you do it to yourself and die accidently, i have no sympathy for you…

dui’s result it many innocent victims…

the two are not comparable….

• skids003 - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Well, then ,if it saves just one person, ban it!!!!

• jlovenotjlo - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Yeah but 1 out of every 11 pitches thrown in the late 90′s were killed by steroids

7. 13arod - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM

good guy nobody is perfect

8. chill1184 - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM

How about some of the anger toward players who put innocent people in danger media? They all want to view Braun, Bonds, A-Rod and others worse than Hitler but the coverage that this story will get will be microscopic compared to whats happened in the world of MLB these last few days. Its F-ing sad

9. Shafer's Dealer - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Loser.

• monkeyjuice313 - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Thank goodness you, a clearly perfect human being, is able to kick a person while he is down anonymously through a comment board. He did a stupid thing. There is no denying that. Thank goodness no one was hurt. I hope it was a wake up call for him. We have all had one of those, and it personally made me a better person…not a loser! A loser is a troll who bad mouths people without knowing who they really are. People make mistakes. I hope Todd truly is genuinely sorry and corrects his flaw.

• ptfu - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Everyone makes mistakes.

Not everyone’s mistakes put their own and others’ lives at risk.

Todd: please get help before you mangle someone’s life, whether your own or someone else’s.

Apologizing and accepting responsibility are a good start, but they’re not enough. Until you get help, and do everything you can to prevent something like this from ever happening again, you are a loser.

Please, Todd, get that help, and redeem yourself.

• Shafer's Dealer - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM

You are being naive and stupid if you think this is the first time he has ever driven under the influence.. He just happened to get caught, and just happened to not kill/hurt someone. He is 39 years old and it happened on a Tuesday night. Its not his first.

I stopped multiple people from driving who were drunk, in person, and they knew my name. I have been a DD multiple times…Not trolling, just looking out for my fellow species, particularly the innocent..

Enjoy life fanboy.

• monkeyjuice313 - Feb 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM

So everyone you have pulled over or anyone that you personally know who has had a DUI is a loser? I agree, Shafer, probably not his first time. Hopefully it’s his last. If he didn’t get caught then he probably would keep on doing it. Who knows? But not everyone that gets a DUI is a loser. Unless you know him personally, or are able to define exactly what a loser is, then you are just another troll that likes to insult people anonymously. Personally, I think a loser is the type of person who has intent to hurt someone. Helton is a guy who let his guard down and made a really dumb decision. What he does after this will define who he really is.

10. fanofevilempire - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM

thank god he didn’t kill anyone.

11. jtpercell - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Say it ain’t so!

12. huskerkid93 - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Ugh as a Rockie fan this is really disappointing. He was always a great leader and mainstay in the organization being only the second first basemen in franchise history, and good guy for Todd and the Toddlers in ’07 but know I could care less. It’s sad to see something like this happen to a good guy but he made a stupid decision and should have to pay for it like everyone else.

13. cur68 - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM

My. Dog.

That has to be the all time GREATEST MLB Mug Shot I’ve ever seen.

• Gobias Industries - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

If I hadn’t read the post, I would’ve thought that Michael Myers had been arrested.

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM

There are no words. It is so perfect and so hideous. It’s Rick James and Pete Rose with some Tonya Harding thrown in for good measure. I am horrified and cannot look away.

• cur68 - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM

YES! That’s IT! There’s a soupçon “tough chick” in the way he’s standing there that compels one to regard him with awe . . . even reverence.

If that image was handed to primitive peoples, maybe Neanderthals, Piltdownmen or the fictiotious people of “Nebraska”, there’d be an immediate cargo cult spring up around it. He would be their god.

• indaburg - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Hmmm… I see a little Jose Canseco in that picture too.

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM

That’s Mayor Canseco to you.

• indaburg - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I stand corrected. I forgot that in Bizarro Toronto, Canseco is the mayor.

• professormaddog31 - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I’m getting a distinct Big Lebowski feel to this mug, I don’t know…

• takavl - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Good stuff on this branch (regarding a potentially lethal issue, plus, why do these highly-paid morons not call a cab? Nevermind…), but to take things in a slightly more “grooming and manly fashion” direction — I never woulda recognized his ass (more properly, his face) had I not been told, due to the absence of his moustache/goatee combo? What hap’d? Is it just for the season?

In this way, his mug is made much easier to handle (heh) by that bit o’ scruff, much like Youk. Jeezis. Piltdown men, for sure….

• rvnc - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I concur. Goodness what a truly unflattering picture….

14. ryanoffski - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Wow. Surprising.

15. willcoop62 - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Hey Todd, go read Delanie Walker of the 49ers, his story and THEN tell me how humbly sorry you are! Your apology ain’t worth the paper it was written on. You public figures think you’re so above the law and just once I want to see the law treat you guys like they would treat ordinary citizens.

16. willcoop62 - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM

My issue here is this. He has more than likely done this before and it finally caught up with him. As a patrol officer with over 17 years I have stopped lots of athletes and the look they give me is you do know who I am dont you? I know who you are, a potential killer sitting behind a one ton vehicle feeling invinceable. Sorry you’re not.

• Shafer's Dealer - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

This is the point most miss… people are naive if they think its the first time this 39 year old (repeat, thirty f’ing nine years old) got caught the first time he has EVER drove under the influence. Get real.

He put everyone on the road at the time and anyone living/working in his vicinity at risk. What a selfish bullshit thing to do, potentially kill or hurt people all for his own good time.

17. kiwicricket - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM

The dude makes 150K per week and drives a F-150?
    Made $150 Million in his career and drives his crappy truck while out drinking until 2am instead of springing for a taxi?
    Piss poor form Todd.

• paperlions - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Obviously, his bad decision making isn’t restricted to one area.

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM

What?! A truck snob too!?

• paperlions - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I’m more of a quality product snob. If you can afford to buy a good one, why waste money by buying a POS like a Ford?

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Maybe it came with a free t-shirt…

• paperlions - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Is that a pro or a con?

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:10 PM

You’re the t-shirt junkie. I take it you wouldn’t sport a “FORD” tee.

• paperlions - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I am not a T-shirt junkie, I can quit T-shirts anytime, I don’t need ‘em, I can quit….if I wanted to….

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Hey, hey, hey, don’t go all Roger Bernadina on me now. One’s enough. Cur might not appreciate you horning in on his M.O.

I dare you to go a whole week without wearing a t-shirt. Let me know how it goes.

• paperlions - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM

It wouldn’t go well. It’s winter here in CT, I layer. T-shirt, long sleeved shirt, add a flannel if it is actually cold out (meaning the daytime high will be < 20 F or the wind is gusty), then maybe a coat if it is going to really cold out (single digits or less). But…you see…the T-shirt is the foundation on which my warmth is built (well, that…and a layer of fat, but the T-shirt is key).

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM

chicken

• paperlions - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM

What does one wear instead of a T-shirt? A henley?

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM

camisole :) he he

• paperlions - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

LMFAO

• blacksables - Feb 6, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Isn’t there a virtual motel you two can go to?

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Oh, hey, sables, thanks for the backup, dude, but if you’re gonna be my wingman, we gotta work on subtlety.

• blacksables - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Sorry, I’ll try again:

Isn’t there a place where you two can have a virtual beer together and talk about baseball deep into the night?

wink, wink, nudge, nudge

• professormaddog31 - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM

What’s wrong with an F-150? You can kit those things out really nice and spend as much as you would for a BMW.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Because just like those kids who spent $15k upgrading their honda civic, after all you’ve done, you are still driving a civic (f-150).

• kiwicricket - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM

So you just buy the BMW first?
        (Beat me too it, Church)

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM

You people do realize Helton is a Country boy right?
      Remember…he and Peyton are tight.
      Anybody who is tight with #18 is a country “music” fan.
      Country “music” fans are…well…country.

But yeah…F-150′s blow.
      Me? If I were gonna’ be country I would be country.
      Dodge Ram Super Duty. F-3500. Something. Well…anything other than an F-150.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM

A BMW? A country boy wouldn’t be caught dead in a BMW. You can’t be serious.
      Well…you AND Church can’t be serious. Do you not have any country boys in New Zealand?
      Cause’ I guarantee you they won’t be driving a BMW either.
      Qualification:
      I love BMW’s. I just thought the suggesting Todd Helton drive one is ridiculous.

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Also, he lives in Colorado — lots of trucks/SUV’s there due to the roads and mountains. Maybe he camps.

• paperlions - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM

You don’t want to take a Ford off-road, or even back road….unless you are REALLY adventurous….because chances are it’ll strand your ass out there.

• kiwicricket - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I wouldn’t think he would drive one either.
        Pretty reserved and not really a vehicle person, but there must be better options available than a crappy Ford truck. Even in America.
        (Yes, most of NZ is ‘country’)

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Some people around here just don’t sound very adventurous.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM

A BMW? A country boy wouldn’t be caught dead in a BMW. You can’t be serious.

Whoa whoa whoa, pump your breaks there. I never said he should buy the BMW, I just said it makes zero sense to buy a cheap car and spend money to make it be the equivalent of a nicer car for the same price. If you like trucks, more power to you. But with the money he’s made and is making, he can splurge for something nicer than a F-150.

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Maybe he drives the shitty Ford because he doesn’t care if it gets banged up when he drives drunk.

18. professormaddog31 - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Todd, ‘tap the Rockies’ is only a metaphor.

19. randygnyc - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Had just come home from an evening of drinking at Coors field. Realized he had no beer at the house and drove to the nearby gas station to restock. Thank God no one got killed. That’s where the luck factor comes into this. Imagine how sorry he’d be if he was unlucky that night.

Sorry Todd, apology not accepted.

20. thebadguyswon - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM

What was his BAC? .35 by the looks of that picture.

21. stlouis1baseball - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Wow. Look at that picture! Dude’s asleep. While standing up!

• historiophiliac - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:38 PM

But it doesn’t look like he’s in his happy place. :(

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Yeah…he’s certainly not in a happy place.
        Strangely…his mug shot kind of reminds me of Nick Nolte.
        Just without the wacked out hair.

22. kelshannon19 - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM

This mug shot is almost as good as Miguel Cabrera’s

23. willcoop62 - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Hey monkeyjiuce,that’s cool that we all know that he made a mistake. DUI didn’t just randomly appear yesterday and we didn’t know about it. Do you think Mark Grace wishes he never stepped foot behind a vehicle after three arrest. He’s only getting four months. How many months do you think we would get? I arrest people like this everyday. Am I sympathetic, to a degree because they have a sickness that they refuse to get help for. I like Helton, I really do, but I would arrest his ass in a second for DUI. I see those bodies under the sheets and on the slabs and usually it’s the person they hit while the drunk driver gets off with scrapes and bruises.

• buggieowens - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM

WC…would you mind answering an honest inquiry for me? As an officer, how often have you encountered the same horrible tragedies that you have faced from drunk drivers with people who have used marijuana while driving (I am NOT condoning this behavior in the least). I am asking out of curiosity and not to make any political points…I’m sure you have dealt with drunk, while high, drivers quite frequently.

• monkeyjuice313 - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I wouldn’t feel bad to arrest someone, either. Especially an athlete or celebrity. I wouldn’t feel bad if I got arrested. I would have it coming, just like anyone. It would suck! But I am glad we have officers who do the right thing.

24. Old Gator - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM

“Todd is taking full accountability for his actions with his family, his fans and the organization.”

Huh?

I know an F-150 has a roomy cabin but dear Buddha, how many people can hold a steering wheel and press down on the same accelerator pedal at the same time?

Hic!

25. willcoop62 - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Again monkeyjuice I’m not putting you down believe that, I just know that these guys have patterns of doing it over and over again. It’s a good thing he got caught because at his age this can be a sure wakeup call, his career being towards the end and I’m sure he has aspirations for possible management, but DUI on your record almost stamps that out. I hope he gets the help he needs and turns his life back around. Those same young rookies with stars in their eyes looking at him in spring training, this is a great time to impart some of life’s lessons. What do you think?

• monkeyjuice313 - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I know. I agree. I hope it is a wake up call. I don’t think he is a bad person. I’m not saying he is an alcoholic. My main point was that he isn’t some a-hole unless he does this all the time, had no remorse, or no true intention of stopping. From what I’ve read about him, I believe he’ll turn this into a positive. It’s the same for anyone who has gotten in trouble…only time will tell.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto