Todd Helton arrested for DUI in Colorado

Feb 6, 2013, 2:20 PM EST

todd helton dui mugshot

Todd Helton was arrested last night in Colorado and charged with driving under the influence.

Helton was pulled over at 2:39 a.m. and 9-NEWS in Colorado reports that “a witness contacted Thornton Police when they witnessed a black Ford F-150 pick-up truck driving erratically.” He was then booked, processed, and released to a “responsible party.”

Here’s an official statement from the Rockies addressing the arrest:

We were extremely disappointed to learn that Todd was arrested this morning. This type of behavior is taken very seriously by our organization. We know that he clearly understands the seriousness of his poor decision, the harm that could have been inflicted on others and the embarrassment his mistake has caused to himself, his family, the Colorado Rockies organization and to Major League Baseball.

Todd is taking full accountability for his actions with his family, his fans and the organization. The man we have grown to know has strong values that are grounded in his family and hard work. Todd clearly understands the severity of the situation.

As always it’ll be interesting to see the media, fan, and MLB reaction to this relative to, say, steroids stuff.

UPDATE: Helton also released an official statement of his own:

Last evening I exercised poor judgment and was charged with drinking and driving after driving to a gas station near my house. I am very sorry and embarrassed by my actions. I hold myself to a high standard and take my responsibility as a public figure very seriously. My entire career I have worked to set a positive example for my family and in our community and I fell far short of this standard.

I sincerely ask my family, the Colorado Rockies Organization, Major League Baseball and the community to accept my apology. I make no excuses and accept full responsibility for my actions. I humbly ask your forgiveness.

Latest Posts
  1. The Cardinals are boring

Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST

Lackey yawn AP

Just ask them. They’ll tell you so.

2. Orioles negotiating buyout with Suk-min Yoon one year into $5.75 million deal

Mar 5, 2015, 1:13 PM EST

suk-min yoon korea getty Getty Images

He would then return to Korea, where the 28-year-old was a former MVP.

3. The Josh Hamilton decision could come as early as next week

Mar 5, 2015, 11:39 AM EST

Josh Hamilton Josh Hamilton

The union and the league are butting heads, but the deadlock should soon be broken.

4. It’s like the New York Post isn’t even trying anymore

Mar 5, 2015, 7:53 AM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP

I guess it’s spring training for tabloid headline writers too.

5. Angels, Huston Street expected to exchange offers soon

Mar 4, 2015, 11:59 PM EST

huston street getty Getty Images

MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez has an update on the ongoing extension negotiations between Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto and veteran closer Huston Street …

6. Ji-Man Choi suffered a fractured right fibula

Mar 4, 2015, 11:13 PM EST

ji-man choi getty Getty Images

The Mariners won their Cactus League opener Wednesday against the Padres, but it was not a totally problem-free afternoon in Peoria, Arizona.

7. Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene

Mar 4, 2015, 10:26 PM EST

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

Suspending Hamilton for a year would serve no purpose punitive systems are designed to serve. And would most likely not serve Josh Hamilton at all.

8. Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play

Mar 4, 2015, 9:52 PM EST

josh hamilton angels getty Getty Images

A four-person panel appointed by Major League Baseball to decide how Josh Hamilton should be handled following his recent relapse that involved at least cocaine has reportedly reached a stalemate.

9. Rays sign reliever Jim Miller to minor league deal

Mar 4, 2015, 9:04 PM EST

jim miller getty Getty Images

The deal includes an invitation to the major league side of spring training, though Miller seems doubtful to win a spot on Tampa Bay’s Opening Day roster.

10. Tim Collins leaves spring debut with tight left elbow

Mar 4, 2015, 8:21 PM EST

tim collins getty Getty Images

Royals reliever Tim Collins missed time last season with a flexor strain in his left elbow and again had an issue with the joint Wednesday in his 2015 Cactus League debut …

11. Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut

Mar 4, 2015, 7:17 PM EST

joc pederson getty Getty Images

It was an enjoyable first day of Cactus League competition for Dodgers prospect Joc Pederson.

12. Masahiro Tanaka expected to make his 2015 Grapefruit League debut on March 12

Mar 4, 2015, 6:22 PM EST

tanaka getty Getty Images

He successfully rehabbed a torn UCL in his right elbow last season and the Yankees’ fingers remain crossed that the 26-year-old from Japan will be able to avoid Tommy John elbow reconstructive surgery.

13. Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments

Mar 4, 2015, 4:18 PM EST

Billy Bean

While it’s clear that the two do not see eye to eye, Billy Bean is choosing to look on the bright side of yesterday’s comments from Daniel Murphy.

1. M. Upton (2559)