Todd Helton arrested for DUI in Colorado

Feb 6, 2013, 2:20 PM EST

todd helton dui mugshot

Todd Helton was arrested last night in Colorado and charged with driving under the influence.

Helton was pulled over at 2:39 a.m. and 9-NEWS in Colorado reports that “a witness contacted Thornton Police when they witnessed a black Ford F-150 pick-up truck driving erratically.” He was then booked, processed, and released to a “responsible party.”

Here’s an official statement from the Rockies addressing the arrest:

We were extremely disappointed to learn that Todd was arrested this morning. This type of behavior is taken very seriously by our organization. We know that he clearly understands the seriousness of his poor decision, the harm that could have been inflicted on others and the embarrassment his mistake has caused to himself, his family, the Colorado Rockies organization and to Major League Baseball.

Todd is taking full accountability for his actions with his family, his fans and the organization. The man we have grown to know has strong values that are grounded in his family and hard work. Todd clearly understands the severity of the situation.

As always it’ll be interesting to see the media, fan, and MLB reaction to this relative to, say, steroids stuff.

UPDATE: Helton also released an official statement of his own:

Last evening I exercised poor judgment and was charged with drinking and driving after driving to a gas station near my house. I am very sorry and embarrassed by my actions. I hold myself to a high standard and take my responsibility as a public figure very seriously. My entire career I have worked to set a positive example for my family and in our community and I fell far short of this standard.

I sincerely ask my family, the Colorado Rockies Organization, Major League Baseball and the community to accept my apology. I make no excuses and accept full responsibility for my actions. I humbly ask your forgiveness.

Latest Posts
  1. Jake McGee plays catch for first time since elbow surgery

Jan 26, 2015, 11:45 PM EST

Jake McGee AP AP

McGee is expected to begin the season on the disabled list, but he’s hoping to return by late April or early May.

2. Rockies and Adam Ottavino avoid arbitration with one-year deal

Jan 26, 2015, 11:05 PM EST

Adam Ottavino AP AP

Ottavino has quietly been very effective since joining the Rockies in 2012, posting a 3.60 ERA over 179 relief appearances while averaging 9.3 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9.

3. Report: Astros among teams looking at free agent right-hander Kevin Correia

Jan 26, 2015, 10:01 PM EST

Kevin Correia AP

After negotiations with Ryan Vogelsong broke down last week, the Astros are now considering alternatives.

4. Mariners reunite with Franklin Gutierrez

Jan 26, 2015, 9:07 PM EST

Franklin Gutierrez Getty Images

Gutierrez has played a grand total of 173 games dating back to 2011 and sat out last season due to a gastrointestinal issue.

5. Alex Avila switching to hockey-style catcher mask due to concussions

Jan 26, 2015, 8:16 PM EST

Alex Avila AP AP

Avila is making a change in hopes of avoiding future concussions.

6. Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015

Jan 26, 2015, 7:09 PM EST

blue jays logo

The announcement comes after the Blue Jays reportedly ended their pursuit of Orioles executive VP Dan Duquette.

7. Padres sign Ramiro Pena

Jan 26, 2015, 6:30 PM EST

Ramiro Peno AP AP

The 29-year-old hit just .245/.304/.347 with three home runs and nine RBI across 81 games with the Braves last season and was designated for assignment in November.

8. I don’t know if Dustin Pedroia is in the Best Shape of His life, but he IS posing with his shirt off

Jan 26, 2015, 5:04 PM EST

pedroia getty Getty Images

Before cell phone cameras we just sat around and posed in the mirror. Now we can share that with everyone.

9. Orioles, Bud Norris avoid arbitration for $8.8 million

Jan 26, 2015, 4:16 PM EST

Bud Norris AP AP

Norris asked for $10.25 million and the Orioles countered at $7.5 million.

10. More catching depth: Braves sign John Buck

Jan 26, 2015, 3:49 PM EST

John Buck Getty Images

Buck joins Christian Bethancourt and A.J. Pierzynski on the Braves’ catching depth chart.

11. The Brewers re-introduce the Beer Barrel Man

Jan 26, 2015, 3:35 PM EST

Beer Barrel Man

Now, if they’ll bring back the beer mug Bernie slides into, everything will be A-OK.

12. A-Rod is going to apologize, you guys

Jan 26, 2015, 2:42 PM EST

a-rod homer getty Getty Images

I’m sure you’ve been worried about whether he would.

13. Orioles sign Chris Parmelee

Jan 26, 2015, 2:10 PM EST

Chris Parmelee Getty Getty Images

Parmelee was dropped by the Twins last month.

14. Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco

Jan 26, 2015, 1:18 PM EST

Devin Mesoraco AP

Mesoraco is arbitration eligible for the first time at age 26 and filed for $3.6 million, while the Reds countered at $2.45 million.

15. Wade Boggs shot a bull caribou without a license

Jan 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

Wade Boggs Horse

Wade Boggs is . . . the World’s Most Interesting Man

16. The Committee studying the A’s potential move to San Jose has . . . disbanded!

Jan 26, 2015, 12:28 PM EST

a's logo

If it was a human it would’ve almost made it to the first grade. But now it is dead, aged just short of six years.

17. Baseball’s 15th greatest general manager knew a bargain veteran when he saw one

Jan 26, 2015, 11:29 AM EST

Walt Jocketty AP

If you made a trade with St. Louis in the 90s and 2000s, you likely got the bad end of that trade. Because of this guy.

18. The Royals are monitoring James Shields

Jan 26, 2015, 10:57 AM EST

James Shields Getty Images

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not after you.

19. Jered Weaver packed on 25 pounds during the offseason

Jan 26, 2015, 10:15 AM EST

Jered Weaver AP AP

“I don’t know if my metabolism is slowing down from getting older or what, but I feel good.”

20. The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives

Jan 26, 2015, 9:31 AM EST

alex rodriguez head Getty Images

Hey guys, if things break just right we may get another A-Rod lawsuit!

1. R. Vogelsong (5283)