Todd Helton arrested for DUI in Colorado

Feb 6, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT

todd helton dui mugshot

Todd Helton was arrested last night in Colorado and charged with driving under the influence.

Helton was pulled over at 2:39 a.m. and 9-NEWS in Colorado reports that “a witness contacted Thornton Police when they witnessed a black Ford F-150 pick-up truck driving erratically.” He was then booked, processed, and released to a “responsible party.”

Here’s an official statement from the Rockies addressing the arrest:

We were extremely disappointed to learn that Todd was arrested this morning. This type of behavior is taken very seriously by our organization. We know that he clearly understands the seriousness of his poor decision, the harm that could have been inflicted on others and the embarrassment his mistake has caused to himself, his family, the Colorado Rockies organization and to Major League Baseball.

Todd is taking full accountability for his actions with his family, his fans and the organization. The man we have grown to know has strong values that are grounded in his family and hard work. Todd clearly understands the severity of the situation.

As always it’ll be interesting to see the media, fan, and MLB reaction to this relative to, say, steroids stuff.

UPDATE: Helton also released an official statement of his own:

Last evening I exercised poor judgment and was charged with drinking and driving after driving to a gas station near my house. I am very sorry and embarrassed by my actions. I hold myself to a high standard and take my responsibility as a public figure very seriously. My entire career I have worked to set a positive example for my family and in our community and I fell far short of this standard.

I sincerely ask my family, the Colorado Rockies Organization, Major League Baseball and the community to accept my apology. I make no excuses and accept full responsibility for my actions. I humbly ask your forgiveness.

Latest Posts
  1. The Dodgers, Yankees and Blue Jays are poised for a “bidding war” over David Price

Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT

David Price AP

At least to the extent you can have a bidding “war” over a two-month rental.

2. Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins

Jul 29, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT

Mat Latos AP

Oh, and the Marlins gave away a draft pick too.

3. Curt Casali is having one heck of a week

Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Curt Casali Getty Images

Two homers, two games in a row and five in his last four games.

4. Why do managers wear uniforms anyway?

Jul 29, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT

Houston Astros v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

And why on Earth did Bobby Cox wear a cup for every game? What was he possibly expecting?

5. Drew Storen doesn’t sound happy about the Jonathan Papelbon acquisition

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

Drew Storen AP AP

Saves = money for relief pitchers and Storen is gonna get a lot fewer saves now.

6. And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Jul 29, 2015, 7:28 AM EDT

Yankees Getty Images

Your mileage may vary, but for my money the ugliest game of the year happened last night.

7. Henderson Alvarez undergoes shoulder surgery

Jul 28, 2015, 11:22 PM EDT

Henderson Alvarez AP

Alvarez served as the Marlins’ Opening Day starter …

8. Video: Jose Abreu awarded a home run after Mookie Betts flips into Fenway Park bullpen

Jul 28, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT

Mookie Betts AP

Red Sox center fielder Mookie Betts tracked down a hardly hit ball from White Sox slugger Jose Abreu on Tuesday night but lost it when he fell into the bullpen …

9. Red Sox retire Pedro Martinez’s number at Fenway Park

Jul 28, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

Pedro Martinez AP

Martinez was inducted into the Hall of Fame on Sunday.

10. Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels

Jul 28, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Hamels would join Dallas Keuchel and Scott Kazmir in an excellent, postseason-ready Astros rotation.

11. Mike Trout out Tuesday with left wrist injury

Jul 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT

Mike Trout AP

Angels center fielder Mike Trout went 4-for-4 with two homers and five RBI in Sunday’s series finale against the Rangers, but he also suffered a left wrist injury in that game when he tried to make a diving catch …

12. Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus

Jul 28, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT

angels logo

In a span of about 10 minutes the Angels landed two outfielders …

13. Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test

Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Jenrry Mejia Jenrry Mejia

This time it’s for both Stanozolol and Boldenone.

14. Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade

Jul 28, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT

papelbon Getty Images

Papelbon owns a sparkling 1.59 ERA and 40/8 K/BB ratio in 39 2/3 innings this season for the Phillies, and he’s 17-for-17 in save opportunities.

15. The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process

Jul 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT

Cooperstown

Voters who are more than 10 years removed from covering the game will no longer get to vote in Hall of Fame elections

1. A. Rodriguez (4352)