Who needs Michael Bourn? The Mets have signed Corey Patterson

Feb 6, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT

Your move, Scott Boras:

Corey Patterson did not play in the bigs last year. He did play 117 games for the Brewers’ Triple-A team in Nashville, though, where he hit .251/.285/.410. So, yeah.

Yes, it’s only a minor league deal. But the Mets have the thinnest outfield in all of baseball, I reckon, so it’s not crazy to think he stands a good shot at making the big league roster.

1. Gobias Industries - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM

You laugh, Craig, but this guy was the third overall pick in the draft. Third! You know who else was a third overall pick? Luis Montanez. Chris Gruler. Kyle Sleeth. Wait, where was I going with this? And you forgot to mention that they also signed Mike Wilson. Granted he hasn’t played since 1921 but I guarantee he’s still better than who the Mets have in their outfield right now (although it’s possible that I was looking at the wrong Mike Wilson on B-Ref).

Anyway, once Corey gets Anthony Bosch’s digits, this will end up being a good signing.

2. thebadguyswon - Feb 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Check, Mr. Boras.

3. sportfandc - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

If Patterson was with Brewers’ AAA team, that means he was behind Nyjer Morgan on their depth chart. Just think about that!

4. kelshannon19 - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Check, and mate. Your move rest of the NL.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 6, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Absolutely. I’m trying to arrange my schedule now….debating whether I want to attend the NLDS in Citi or the NLCS in Citi.

• 78mu - Feb 6, 2013 at 9:45 PM

You’ll be able to sit next to Bourn who will constantly mumble ‘they signed Corey Friggin’ Paterson over me”.

5. jm91rs - Feb 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM

If Patterson is dating the daughter of a Mets executive he’ll see a bunch of playing time. At least that’s what I heard about why Dusty gave him all that playing time with the Reds.

6. Old Gator - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Patterson is dating a Wilpoon? Uh-oh. Is the stupid gene dominant or recessive?

7. larishasiswaun - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Reblogged this on larishasiswaun's Blog.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Really? Can you self-promoters please go somewhere else? Or go “blog” in heavy traffic.

8. scottgilroy - Feb 6, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Oy Vey!

9. jwbiii - Feb 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM

A cage match between Marlon Byrd and Corey Patterson for the Mets’ CF/5th OF job!

10. jssgriffi - Feb 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Well, I gues the mets are doing everything they can to screw up this micheal borne deal too huh

11. dondada10 - Feb 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I guess management figures if we throw enough shit at the wall, something will stick.

12. mazblast - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I have always thought the Wilpons were ignorant about baseball and deaf to the wishes of the fans, but if they think their few remaining fans are going to buy into Marlon Byrd and Corey Patterson as alternatives to actually spending the money to get Michael Bourn or a lesser, competent player, they’re even worse than I thought. This isn’t merely ignorant, it’s contemptuous.

Of course, Fred Wilpon being a buddy of Buddy, MLB will take no action to force the Wilpons to put a competitive team on the field, nor will it force the Wilpons to do what it seems 90%+ of Mets fans want–sell the team.

13. yousuxxors - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM

i understand the hatred of the wilpons but this sandys team. if he cant get a good deal on bourne, he wont go for it. everyone knows the mets are not competing next year with or without him. they are rebuilding and it takes time to fix the past mistakes. next offseason 50 million comes off the books and they can start. they have good young pitchers and a decent infield.

14. wolfmagic2012 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Mr. Boras, let’s bring Bourn to the Emerald City. We’re rebuilding, but after ten years of frustration, the Ms fans will physically lynch the entire front office and owner if they don’t put up a winnah – so I’d say the goods are odd, but the odds are good!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5541)