Curt Schilling says Red Sox officials encouraged him to use PEDs in 2008

Feb 7, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Schilling

This seems pretty huge.

Curt Schilling was on Colin Cowherd’s show yesterday and said that Red Sox officials suggested that he use PEDs when his career was ending in 2008 due to a shoulder injury:

Asked for more details, Schilling said the conversation occurred in the clubhouse and involved “former members of the organization — they’re no longer there. It was an incredibly uncomfortable conversation. Because it came up in the midst of a group of people. The other people weren’t in the conversation but they could clearly hear the conversation. And it was suggested to me that at my age and in my situation, why not? What did I have to lose? Because if I wasn’t going to get healthy, it didn’t matter. And if I did get healthy, great.

The fact that he and the Red Sox differed on the sort of treatment he received back in 2008 was well-reported at the time, but no one to my knowledge ever talked about this sort of thing.  And, it’s worth noting, Schilling has been known to engage in hyperbole in the past.

That said, this is quite an accusation.  It seems to me that such an accusation is every bit as worthy of investigation by MLB as the Miami New Times story.  Especially if the people he’s referring to still have jobs in Major League Baseball.

1. btwicey - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Woah

2. pisano - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM

What a guy, whatever you do, don’t tell this prick a secret.

• georgebrett - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM

What was the secret that he spoke out about?

3. bw1980 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I cannot imagine how much Schilling has spent on medical bills. He has to undergo surgery to have his foot removed from his mouth everytime he talks plus he’s had to have multiple surgeries to transform himself back into a semi-human being after making an ass out of himself on myriad occasions.

• georgebrett - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Any examples? I wonder if you said the same about all of Canseco’s accusations?

• bw1980 - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Well, lets see, bitching about tax payer dollars being used on frivelous projects and then accepting millions of tax dollars for poorly contrived video game company, 38 Pitches, which went bankrupt and left employees without paychecks for months of work which they had performed.

How about we start there?

• jimeejohnson - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM

georgebrett stifled himself.

• indybob160 - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Can you imagine how expensive it is to have your head taken out of your ass??? he may have had a zipper installed though, as frequently as he needs this procedure…

4. judahbenhur - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I can see Theo suggesting use of PEDs, but I can’t see him talking about it in front of other people. Hard to believe.

5. vilelabyrinth - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM

what’s the big deal? why would anyone be surprised by this? it goes on in every sport..why do so many people care about the use of “PEDs”?

• georgebrett - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Ah, because they are illegal.

• geoknows - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Gee, I dunno, lemme guess…because it’s illegal?

6. georgebrett - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I believe every word he says. The Red Sox, for years, have been doing things wrong and unethical with medical problems. When the team owner is a doctor there is going to be problems and that’s exactly what happened in the past with the organization. Players are worthless when they are hurt and the owners that are paying them want them on the field.

7. indybob160 - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Why should anyone believe what Shilling has to say…. he is a bloviator at best….

8. ballistictrajectory - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Too bad he couldn’t find a PED for his business venture…

• lowtalker - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:48 PM

now . . that is funny!

9. purplehaze77340 - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM

this guy is a certified nut, i tell you!

• jimeejohnson - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Anyone with “purple haze” in their username can certify.

10. davidofseattle - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Curt Schilling was always one of those athletes you loved to see perform and loved them more when they didn’t open their mouth…taxpayers of Rhode Island can think of 75MM reasons not to believe anything he says….

11. ags8th - Feb 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I’m sorry, I stopped believing anything that comes out of his mouth.

12. thedudeabides422 - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:49 PM

It’s amazing, George Mitchell (a politician) spends 7million dollars and only finds steroids in New York. Shilling tells truth regardless of people’s opinions. Mitchell is revered and Shilling is ridiculed. Proof positive Red Sox fans are the biggest douschbag’s on the planet.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2774)