In case you didn’t believe that John Lackey was in The Best Shape of His Life

Feb 7, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT

Sometimes BSOHL is baloney p.r.-speak designed to raise expectations. Sometimes it’s the truth. Pete Abraham shows us that it’s definitely the truth with John Lackey.

Wow. Someone get that guy some nachos, stat.

1. papacrick - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Is cocaine a performance enhancing drug?

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM

He looks like he weighs about 88 pounds in that photo. I don’t know if that’s “best shape”, or just “thinnest shape”.

• mazblast - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM

May be the same thing. One of the things I enjoy about baseball, especially pitching, is that there is no minimum or maximum weight or height, no “right” size for a position. At least, there’s none that’s been proven yet.

• heyblueyoustink - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Hell, they still haven’t proven if players are better when sober, slightly drunk, high, very high, and totally wasted.

• mrfloydpink - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM

C.C. Sabathia would like a word with you…

• proudlycanadian - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

A major weight loss by a pitcher does not mean that he will necessarily pitch any better. Last season, Brett Cecil lost a lot of weight and proceeded to lose his spot in the Jays rotation because he wasn’t pitching very well.

• paperlions - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Yep, weight loss was also partially attributed to Shelby Miller’s early season struggles (though scouts insist that his mechanics were wildly different at the beginning of the year than they were before or after, when he pitched effectively). In any case, some extra mass can reduce the effort level of pitchers and take stress off the arm.

• jcmeyer10 - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Same thing with golf. Carl Petterson lost weight and got buff and it messed with his mechanics.

3. shawnuel - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Seriously….GOOD FOR HIM. As someone who has lost 197 lbs in the last 16 months, I know this takes a special kind of dedication. It can only help his performance now, and his overall well being in the long run. Kudos Mr, Lackey!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

197 lbs! Holy shit!

• ltzep75 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM

who downvotes this?

• sportsfanjay - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I downvoted you just on general principle.

• ltzep75 - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Ok. That’s fine. You can do that all you want to me.

But don’t downvote the guy above who, if true, should be applauded.

4. deathmonkey41 - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I’m going to guess that along with the weight, he hasn’t lost any of his douchiness.

5. uyf1950 - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM

For the Red Sox he was in the best shape of his life last season when he didn’t pitch.

6. vallewho - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Wasn’t John Lackey a pudgy-motherfaker when he was doing the best pitching of his life?

7. kirkmack - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Guess the Sox stopped letting him order the fried chicken, huh?

8. 2077james - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM

His problem has gone from throwing right down the pipe to smoking the pipe.

9. Jackson - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Next, Craig will ask us if we want to send him 50 cents a day.

10. Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM

awww, my firm has blocked Twitter so I can’t see.

/sad face

11. chacochicken - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Something tells me he didn’t lose weight for the Sox. I think, the classy guy he is, he did it for the ladies.

12. jarathen - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM

John Lackey had a terrible stretch in his life where his personal and professional lives were in shambles (luckily he still made millions and millions of dollars during these trying times – doesn’t fix, but doesn’t hurt). I hope he bounces back well. He’ll always be the guy that won game 7 in 2002 to me, so I can’t ever wish ill on him.

13. pisano - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM

The guys a total scumbag, and I hope he gets shelled every time he takes the mound. I know he’ll blame his failures on someone or something other than his alcoholic self.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM

You know, I don’t like the guy either, but isn’t that over the top?

There’s no evidence he’s an alcoholic, and as far as the situation with his sick wife…it’s been reported that it was at the very least least mutual…he didn’t abandon her when she had cancer.

Again…I can’t stand his on-field demeanor, but his teammates seem to like him. Portraying him like he’s the Antichrist makes no sense to me.

• bobwsc - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM

what a bozosforall’esque statement (minus the ‘everyone from boston eats crap’ remark)

14. aceshigh11 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM

He almost looks TOO thin, but good for him.

The Sox are stuck with him for at least part of the year, so hopefully he pitches halfway decently.

15. brianabbe - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Meth is a helluva drug.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2967)