Feb 7, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Jair Jurrjens agreed to an incentive-laden one-year, $1.5 million contract with the Orioles two weeks ago and was in town to take his physical exam last week, but the two sides still haven’t officially announced the deal.
“We’re still trying to discuss some small stuff on the contract,” Jurrjens told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. “We are getting close, just some small details we want to make sure we go through before we sign.”
And what are those small details? According to Connolly “doctors are still vetting Jurrjens’ medical information” after injuries derailed the once-promising right-hander’s career in Atlanta and made him available for such a modest price tag.
Connolly spoke to a source who says “the drawn-out situation does not necessarily mean that Jurrjens’ deal is in jeopardy, but also wouldn’t rule out that possibility.” In other words, this could be a Mike Napoli-type situation where the physical exam revealed a more worrisome injury outlook than initially expected and the Orioles are re-working part of the contract to lessen their upfront commitment.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 19
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 115
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 55
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (115)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (99)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston