Feb 7, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
Last week the Mariners avoided arbitration with Shawn Kelley by signing him to a one-year, $935,000 deal. And today they designated Kelley for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Kelly Shoppach.
It’s possible that Kelley and his $935,000 contract for 2013 could clear waivers and remain with the Mariners, but that’s a reasonable price for a solid middle reliever and more likely Seattle already has some sort of trade lined up for him.
Last season he threw 44 innings with a 3.25 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio, so Kelley could help plenty of teams.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 96
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 71
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 44
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (98)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)