Feb 7, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
Last week the Mariners avoided arbitration with Shawn Kelley by signing him to a one-year, $935,000 deal. And today they designated Kelley for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Kelly Shoppach.
It’s possible that Kelley and his $935,000 contract for 2013 could clear waivers and remain with the Mariners, but that’s a reasonable price for a solid middle reliever and more likely Seattle already has some sort of trade lined up for him.
Last season he threw 44 innings with a 3.25 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio, so Kelley could help plenty of teams.
- Miguel Cabrera ties Hank Greenberg with 331st career homer 2
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 12
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 8
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 5
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 2
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles