Feb 7, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
Last week the Mariners avoided arbitration with Shawn Kelley by signing him to a one-year, $935,000 deal. And today they designated Kelley for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Kelly Shoppach.
It’s possible that Kelley and his $935,000 contract for 2013 could clear waivers and remain with the Mariners, but that’s a reasonable price for a solid middle reliever and more likely Seattle already has some sort of trade lined up for him.
Last season he threw 44 innings with a 3.25 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio, so Kelley could help plenty of teams.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)