Feb 7, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
Last week the Mariners avoided arbitration with Shawn Kelley by signing him to a one-year, $935,000 deal. And today they designated Kelley for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Kelly Shoppach.
It’s possible that Kelley and his $935,000 contract for 2013 could clear waivers and remain with the Mariners, but that’s a reasonable price for a solid middle reliever and more likely Seattle already has some sort of trade lined up for him.
Last season he threw 44 innings with a 3.25 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio, so Kelley could help plenty of teams.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)