Feb 7, 2013, 5:47 PM EST
Last week the Mariners avoided arbitration with Shawn Kelley by signing him to a one-year, $935,000 deal. And today they designated Kelley for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Kelly Shoppach.
It’s possible that Kelley and his $935,000 contract for 2013 could clear waivers and remain with the Mariners, but that’s a reasonable price for a solid middle reliever and more likely Seattle already has some sort of trade lined up for him.
Last season he threw 44 innings with a 3.25 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio, so Kelley could help plenty of teams.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)