Mark Buehrle’s family won’t join him in Toronto because they can’t take the dog

Feb 7, 2013, 11:33 AM EST

buehrle getty Getty Images

Back in November we learned of the dog dilemma faced by Mark Buehrle‘s family. They have a pit bull, but Ontario has outlawed pit bull ownership. This meant either getting rid of the dog or Buehrle’s family not joining him in Toronto when the Blue Jays’ season starts.

Jerry Crasnick reports that the family is going to leave Mark on his own:

Mark will spend his 14th big league season in Canada while Jamie lives more than 800 miles away with 5-year-old son Braden, 3-year-old daughter Brooklyn, Slater and the family’s three vizslas, Drake, Diesel and Duke. As the family settles in for spring training in Dunedin, Fla., Buehrle is struggling to accept the idea that togetherness is short-lived and he will be coming home to an empty house in April.

Everyone has to make their own decision, but man. I think I’d find a new home for the dog before I’d willingly spend six months away from my family.

125 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. roccityrep - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Why doesn’t he just buy a house in Niagara Falls, NY and drive into Toronto each day. Only about an hour each way on the QEW. Probably about the same amount of time he sat in traffic on 95 in South FL.

• pookies1 - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Try 2 hrs both ways on the qew plus customs it would hold him back like 2 1/2 hrs (I live in toronto) plus niagra falls ny is not the best place try rochestter

• bigdicktater - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Yeah, Rockinchester is only 15 minutes away on that catamaran ferry.

2. hushbrother - Feb 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Ontario can suck a big one for passing such an ignorant law. Anyone who has spent any time at a public dog park not located in the hood can tell you the pit bulls are as well behaves as any of the other breeds.

• utpls - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:54 AM

not all pitbulls. I know one who’ll eat your dog;s food

3. mlblogsgiantgary - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM

It is not the dog, it is their human. Pitbulls are by nature sweet, loving dogs. Until some moron gets ahold of it and makes it into a monster.
    Makes me ashamed to be a homo sapien. Which species is the most advanced again?

4. polmilfso - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM

USG employees working in U.S. Embassies in foreign countries are not allowed to take their pets if they and their families ever have to be evacuated from the country. While living in an earthquake-prone Central American country several years ago, I decided that if disaster struck and my family had to leave, I would send my wife and kids out in the Embassy-arranged evacuation and stay behind with my dog to make my own way out of the country.

5. brianabbe - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM