Mark Buehrle’s family won’t join him in Toronto because they can’t take the dog

Feb 7, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT

buehrle getty Getty Images

Back in November we learned of the dog dilemma faced by Mark Buehrle‘s family. They have a pit bull, but Ontario has outlawed pit bull ownership. This meant either getting rid of the dog or Buehrle’s family not joining him in Toronto when the Blue Jays’ season starts.

Jerry Crasnick reports that the family is going to leave Mark on his own:

Mark will spend his 14th big league season in Canada while Jamie lives more than 800 miles away with 5-year-old son Braden, 3-year-old daughter Brooklyn, Slater and the family’s three vizslas, Drake, Diesel and Duke. As the family settles in for spring training in Dunedin, Fla., Buehrle is struggling to accept the idea that togetherness is short-lived and he will be coming home to an empty house in April.

Everyone has to make their own decision, but man. I think I’d find a new home for the dog before I’d willingly spend six months away from my family.

125 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. stebutt - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Another reason to bash dog owners. Idiots.

• js20011041 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM

What are the other reasons? That people are willing to show love and affection for another living being outside of humans? What a cruel, evil thing to do. Assholes like you are the reason many pet owners prefer animals to people.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Gahhhh! I gave ole butt a thumbs up. I. Take. It. Back.

• savocabol1 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Cat people are crazy. Always have been and always will be.

stebutt is a cat person.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM

We have a dog and a cat. I would say I am tighter with the cat than the dog.
        Of course…our cat is closer to a dog than most dogs are.
        He fetches…follows me around…jumps up on me while I am standing…busts my balls every evening till’ I sit down. It’s unreal. Very high maintenance.
        When people say cats are independent that aren’t talking about mine.

• Old Gator - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I would never have a vicious, unpredictable genetic teratoform like a pitbull into my home. It would be a gratuitous threat to my pet rattlesnake, Friendo.

2. kjericho43 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Guess you’ve never had a dog, craig

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I have kids. Am I supposed to value time with my kids less than a dog?

• kjericho43 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Of course not. It’s the kids. They probably don’t want to leave their dog (s). Mark probably doesn’t want to make them. I can see it.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I’m guessing this is more of an issue with the kids being absolutely crushed with the idea of giving the dog away. When a pet becomes a family member this sort of thing can happen. I’ve seen kids break into tears when losing a beloved pet.

What if they told you to give away the cat Craig? Well I guess it’s not the same thing, the cat would likely welcome the opportunity to get away from the stuffy lair :) In any such separation scenario I assume his lawyers will insist the cat keep all the tuna.

• Paul White - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Considering that it’s a pit bull, the family probably would have a difficult time finding any takers for it. Which means the choice could very well be leaving the family behind for a few months, or euthanizing the dog. Facing that situation, with my kids likely to be heartbroken, I could easily see sucking it up and going it alone for a bit.

• dohpey28 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Military families go through this all the time. The difference is Mark is getting paid millions. I am sure he can suck it up for 6 months like say someone on a sub can.

• seitz26 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Paul, it depends. I’m not a fan of the breed, but some Pit Bulls can be really sweet dogs, and it’s unfortunate that they get the short end of the stick in a one size fits all solution. If that’s the case with Buehrle’s dog, he may not have a hard time finding someone to look after it. My sense (with no data to back it up) is that Pits have a higher propensity to do a lot of damage if you run into a mean one, but certainly not all of them fit into that category. It’s too bad you can’t get some sort of waiver if you can demonstrate your dog is well behaved, but that’s life, I guess.

• abaird2012 - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Depends on the kids.

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM

So Craig the millionaire baseball player would crush his kids hearts and take the dog from them rather than making it work for a few months.

Really?

• bolweevils2 - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

They don’t want to leave the dog, but they are OK with letting Dear Old Dad go? In other words, you’re saying they like the dog better than Dad?

• Old Gator - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Of course you should favor your dog. Children are horrible.

• blackandbluedivision - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Maybe they don’t like Canada and they’re using this as an excuse. I’m sure a lot of players families don’t live in the same city as the player.

• Old Gator - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Obviously, they’ve never eaten a good smoked meat sandwich and a steaming bowl of cabbage borscht. That would change their ideas about Toronto in a hurry.

Of course, if they’re already on Lisinopril from having eaten poutine, it might be too late to change their minds.

3. The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

The rest of the family has decided that living with the dog is more important to them than living with Mark is, I guess? I can’t see another way to interpret that.

• phillyphreak - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Or that it was a mutual decision in order to keep a family pet in the family. I can only imagine that the dog means a lot to them and it’s a sacrifice they’re willing to make. Sure it’ll be hard but they’ll survive.

• paperlions - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Plus, 1/2 of that six months their dad isn’t around anyway. It really boils down to about 3 months of family togetherness versus giving up an obviously beloved pet.

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Honestly, I lot of ballplayers live away from home during the season. They’re on the road half the season anyway, work virtually everyday. It’s really not *that* weird.

• blackandbluedivision - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Hmmm. Canada vs. Florida during the Summertime. I think there’s your decision. Buehrle didn’t have much say so in being traded, so it shouldn’t be expected that they would just pick up and move with him.

• pmcenroe - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I grew up Florida and now live in Toronto. Canada wins that fight easily. 90+ degrees at 100% humidity plus multiple rain storms a day vs. 76 degrees and no precipitation. The only problem with the Canadian summers are that they are too short.

• jaysjunkie - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM

You do realize it doesn’t snow up here in Toronto 365 days of the year, right?

• blackandbluedivision - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

both of you do realize I wasn’t talking, only, about the weather right? I’m talking about things to do…the nightlife, etc. He may be married but that doesn’t mean that he can’t LIVE! It seems like there would be more to do in Dunedin, FL (right on the coast) compared to Toronto.

• pmcenroe - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Have you ever been to Dunedin? You’re right it does have night life too bad it ends at 6pm since the avg age there is 80.

Toronto is a major world city. I mean Dunedin, FL really? come on

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM

@black and blue: Based on that comment, my guess is you’ve never been to either of the places you’re comparing.

@mcenroe: Since you say you live here I assume you know Toronto summers are just awful in July/August with most days checking in at 85-95 degrees with comparable humidity. Not infrequent are the advisories to stay inside during the day because the air is basically unbreathable.

• pmcenroe - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:12 AM

@1943mrmojorisin197 It’s hot in Toronto for like MAYBE 2 weeks in July. Like I said Toronto summers are an absolute dream compared to FL’s hell I dont even own an air conditioner. If you need to drink the air here you may want to pack a snorkle next time you visit south FL in the summer.

4. bharr170 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Prime example why the divorce rate in America is so high: It’s more important that I keep my dog, than live with my husband.

• alang3131982 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Or, the divorce rate is so high because the same people get married and divorced over and over again…to get Elizabeth Taylor’s portion of the divorce rate down to 50% requires what 9 couples to stay married?

5. gwhempel - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

As much as being away from my dog for 6 months would suck, I have several relatives and friends who I would gladly trust her with. A rich and famous professional athlete doesn’t have the same?

If I was Mark, I’d be just as angry with my family as I would be with the dumb Toronto laws. How are you going to leave your husband/dad hanging like that?

• pmcenroe - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Its not Toronto law, its the provinces’. Also the the city of the team he just got traded from had the same law.

• gwhempel - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM

It’s still a dumb law, wherever they choose to pass it.

Pit Bulls aren’t the problem, idiots who train them to be aggressive are the problem.

• pmcenroe - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM

@gwhempel do you have reasearch to back up that claim?

• Ben - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Yeah, I posted it below. http://www.salon.com/2013/02/05/in_defense_of_the_pitbull_partner/
        But repost. TL;DR–pitbulls in credible studies show no more violent tendencies than any other dog and in fact score amongst the highest on dog psychology tests.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Be that as it may, which piece of legislation do you think was easier to enact and enforce: the one that compels all pitbull owners to prevent their dog from developing aggressive tendencies or the one that bans pitbulls outright?

6. pmcenroe - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM

They don’t have to give up the dog permanently. Why not have a friend or family member watch it during the season. I love my dog and would never give him up but I dont think I could be away from my family for that long.

Also you could probably try and have a friend sneak it across the boarder. We’ve brought our dog across several times and the board guards have not even noticed he was in the back seat.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:36 PM

That idea isn’t as dumb as I thought it was when I first read it. They wouldn’t have to sneak it over the border in Ontario, they could legally bring it across the border in Quebec and then drive to Toronto from there. Nobody would ever know.

• manchestermiracle - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM

And then what? Make it stay inside? What happens when a nosy neighbor notices? Seems having the dog confiscated and euthanized would be an even bigger trauma for the kids.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

It’s Canada. I don’t see the Toronto police rolling up to the Buerhle home and forcibly confiscating the dog. Probably more like the police kindly asking him to comply with the law i.e. find a place for it to stay with a friend in the states as others have suggested on here. But they wouldn’t have to deal with that until (or if) anybody notices the dog.

• pmcenroe - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM

gee thanks

see re:weather

• pmcenroe - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

@manchestermiracle he’s a multi-millionaire, they could easily find a private property to rent where the neighbors wouldnt be an issue and there would be plenty of space for the dogs to run around unnoticed

7. windycity0301 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Dogs for many are true parts of the family, probably to the kids as much as mark. So you uproot the kids and get rid of a big part of the family? I understand their decision completely and imagine they will be building up frequent flier miles visiting. Maybe it takes a dog lover to understand Craig.

• paperlions - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I agree. I feel a very strong responsibility for my dogs. The only reason I have a will is to ensure that my dogs will be taken care of….I really don’t care what happens to any of my stuff (and don’t have or plan to have any kids). To me, if you adopt a dog, that is a life-long obligation…and you don’t just throw it out the window (the obligation, not the dog) because it becomes inconvenient, you make sacrifices and allowances to honor the obligation. Kudos to the Buhrle family.

• skids003 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM

paperlions, I agree with you 110%.

• shawndc04 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Agree.

• natslady - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

The lack of a comma made that last sentence very strange!

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I didn’t notice before, but that cracked me up.

• nbjays - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM

But maybe Natslady is right… maybe it DOES take a dog lover to understand Craig… just sayin’… :-)

• indaburg - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I understood it the way it was written, that it takes a dog lover to understand Craig. It seems true enough.

8. Ben - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I think pitbulls are ugly as hell, and the people who own them tend to be pretty obnoxious, but this singling out of pitbulls is absurd. Any dog, no matter the breed is only ever as vicious as they’re raised.

• pmcenroe - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Not to get too politcal, but that sounds a lot like the gun debate. i.e. “AR15′s are only dangerous in the hands of people who use them improperly.”

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:42 PM

On point Mcenroe! And both are absolutely correct.
        Dogs (and guns) are dangerous when raised/used improperly.

• paperlions - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Actually, there are behaviors bred into breeds as well. There is a reason that some breeds are far more prone to unprovoked attacks on people or small animals than are other breeds….and how they are raised is a rather small component in that regard.

• Ben - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Absolutely, but pitbulls were for most of the breed’s history considered nanny dogs. And there’s a fundamental problem with the classification of pitbulls.
        “Breed misidentification plays a significant role in the stigma attached to pit bulls. It’s difficult even for experts to properly identify a breed of dog. A study published in the Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science ($$) found that “87.5% of the dogs identified by an adoption agency as having specific breeds in their ancestry did not have all of those breeds detected by DNA analysis.”

“This kind of misidentification creates a feedback loop, as most studies of fatal attacks rely on media reports for breed identification.”

And when you get to the actual numbers, properly identified and socialized pitbulls are no more likely than any other dog to cause harm to humans.

“According to the American Veterinary Medicine Association, “controlled studies have not identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous.” The American Temperance Testing Society (ATTS) puts thousands of dogs – purebreds and spayed and neutered mixed-breeds – through their paces each year. The dogs are tested for skittishness, aggression and their ability to differentiate between threatening and non-threatening humans. Among all of the breeds ATTS tested – over 30,000 dogs through May 2011 — 83 percent passed the test. How did pit bulls do? They showed an above average temperament, with 86 percent making the grade. Pit bulls are the second most tolerant breed tested by ATTS, after only golden retreivers.”

• Old Gator - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Pitbulls are Gowachin guilty – like the ballplayers listed in the Biogenesis files.

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I used to have a Dalmatian that was a vicious mean piece of crap (and I still cried when that monster died). He was evil tempered and would terrorize our other dog — who was the sweetest thing ever. They were raised in the same home, but one would bite the heads off of cats and the other wouldn’t. No one thinks of Dalmatians as vicious, but he was horrible.

• Ben - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:55 PM

My experience with pure-bred dogs (admittedly limited) is that they tend to be either dumb or mean. The neighbors’ poodle is a holy terror.

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I sport a lovely scar on my lip from a poodle. They are mini-monsters.

• indaburg - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Dalmatians are known to have temperament issues thanks to old Uncle Walt. Due to his 101 Dalmatians and the breeds’ ensuing popularity, Dalmatians suffered almost irreparable damage thanks to inbreeding.

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM

It was hard to walk him in the neighborhood b/c kids would come up and want to pet him. You didn’t want to scare them, but you didn’t want to take the chance he’d bite them either. Thanks, Walt!

That dog had digestive issues and had to have special food. We had to have his tail clipped because he kept chewing it off — and then he started on his leg. Towards the end, he almost permanently wore the ol’ lampshade. The vet said it was compulsive and that anxiety like that was typical with Dalmatians. Boy, he was a lot of work — and he wasn’t even a good dog.

• indaburg - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Oh no, not the cone of shame!

It’s amazing the things we do for beloved pets, even ones we may not like all that much. I kept a crazy Pomeranian (who bit me several times) with Cushing’s disease at great medical expense for many years. It wasn’t his fault he was nuts.

I curse whenever I hear there is a movie being made with a purebred dog because it means a bunch of idiots are going to cash in by ruining another dog breed. What do you mean, this dog can’t save Timmy from a well? I have to train it? It doesn’t automatically understand fluid English sentences from birth?

I don’t blame Buerhle one bit. His kids have already been uprooted. One source of stability and unconditional love is their dogs. Why make the kids give them up?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM

That’s because Dalmatian’s are nuts Philiac.
        It is common knowledge Dalmatian’s and Pit Bulls both lean towards the nutty side as a direct result of in-breeding.
        Both breeds became the breeds they are today because of in-breeding.
        This in mind…I know several people who have loving pit bulls as family pets.

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM

He was nuts..and hard to keep clean.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM

So true about any breed. I was viciously mauled by a chihuahua last week. I’ll spare you the details as they are too gruesome to recount here. Suffice it to say I still have a band-aid on my toe.

• Old Gator - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM

This is a real urban myth. Dogfighters don’t use pitbulls so frequently because they’re cuddly by nature and easily abused to bloodletting fury. They raise them to fight because the breed was husbanded up from other breeds known for tenacity, grip and viciousness. The engrams for carnage are built in. All the training does is activate them. Unfortunately, far too often something “trips” one of those triggers – we often don’t know what, or why – and the dog attacks somebody. This is true of other breeds but the violence is incidental in a St. Bernard or Dalmation; it was programmed into a variety of pitbull breeds. Even the name “pitbull” bespeaks the gladiatorial history behind the breed. A lot of what is represented as “science” in claims that pitbulls are essentially innocuous is just a particularly ideologized form of cheap sentiment.

9. countduku - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM

the sadder part is that the blue jays won’t trade him back to a country where a man can live the american dream of a job, a family a house and a dog. I hope the blue jays fail miserably like they do every year. Now i can see why canadian folk are considered not so bright. If I were Mark, i’d ask/demand a trade back to a decent country.

• pmcenroe - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Yeah, good luck keeping a house and finding a job in America.

Idiot

• countduku - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM

maybe for dumb, lazy folk like you maybe. i guess nobody in america has a house or a job. who’s the idiot now?

• pmcenroe - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Yes you nailed it. I totally meant that not one person in America has a house or job. My point being that the “American Dream” is relatively unattainable in America. Yet you somehow think is nescessary to knock a country that didnt go through a recession and where those things you listed are even more attainable.

Oh and by the way.
        US ranked 17th in education
        Canada ranked 10th

I guess that makes you the idiot.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM

“Oh and by the way. US ranked 17th in education Canada ranked 10th.”

Yeah..but Canadians go to grade 13! Not an equal playing field. Hahaha!

I

• cur68 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM

In fact, depending on whom you source, the difference is even more stark:

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Only Ontario has a “grade 13″ and it’s some sorta extended education thing, I wouldn’t know, I’m not from Ontario.

• pmcenroe - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

They actually stopped doing “grade 13″ ten years ago

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM

We refer to the local community college as “Grade 13.”

• cur68 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Oh no you di-int…

The shift key: to the left, just below the “caps lock” key or to the right just below the “return” key. The comma key is next to “m”. Am I going to fast for you?

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Yeah! Pull out the Queen’s English on him!

• Old Gator - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

countduku, what are you doing on a blog full of literate people? They need jingoistic morons like you over at Yahoo! blogs. Toddle off now.

Incidentally, various municipalities in the US – like Macondo, here – have pitbull bans on the books too. Buehrle’s family lives in Broward County, north of Macondo, where there is no pitbull ban. he commuted to work at Macondo Banana Massacre field.

But then, the housing market, though recovering slightly, really sucks down here too.

10. slickdemetrius - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Why not move to Buffalo and commute? There are some nice areas in Niagara County to live temporarily.

11. cur68 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I can sort of see wanting to keep the dog in the family. All pitbulls are not the same. Back before they got demonized they were recognized as one the foremost therapy and companion dogs among dog breeders and therapists. If you have a properly socialized one, you might not want to give him up. They tend to be loyal, steady tempered, and devoted to their family. With children involved, I can see them being beside themselves over their dog. This is a tough one for the Buehrle family.

12. danrizzle - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Memo to players: if you want a no-trade clause, get a no trade clause. No owner’s, much less Loria’s, mere word that you will not be traded is to be relied upon.

13. krispc - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Like it reallty matters. What this translates to is 3 months he is not with the family. 6 month season 162 games 81 of those are on the ROAD. So basicallly 3 months… For that amount of money he can fly them up anytime he wants. In summary 9 months with family 3 months without.

Of course he can always retire and be a filthly rich person living the easy life. His choice.

14. jaybird22seven - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Countduku you have issues!!!! And you obviously don’t know anything about any other country then the one you live in. There is a law against pit bulls for a reason. Keep hating, it shows how intelligent you are!!!!

• countduku - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM

pit bulls are not the problem. it’s the owners that raise them. The law against them is created by your so called “haters”.I don’t hate pit bulls. I’ve had a pit bull for years and it’s never been aggressive to anybody. It’s actually very friendly to everybody. Your opinion that i know nothing about any other country, and that i have issues just shows a lack of intelligence on your part..you know nothing about me. do some research on the issue some day if your smart enough to read yet.

• cur68 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM

You started it, jackass.You clearly know nothing about Canadians as well as basic grammar. If you’re going to be so sensitive when your idiotic ass gets pinched then don’t wear a short skirt in among the wiseguys, Beulah.

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Beulah? What?

• cur68 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:42 PM

My brother once said that to a young lady named Beuhla. We were golfing in Maui. He met her at the golf course. She attached herself to him because he is a handsome shit head. By day two of knowing her was ready go back home to the snow and ice, for she was tiresome and brainless. She’d been bitching about how men only wanted one thing and that they stared at her chest or bottom all the time. Given the brevity of her attire he was enquiring as to what she expected men to do when she was dressed in what amounted to dental floss and a handkerchief. Even the pigeons where staring at her. The phrase “If you’re going to be so sensitive when your idiotic ass gets pinched then don’t wear a short skirt in among the wiseguys, Beulah” is his and something of a family saying. He occasionally reads HBT and I’m pretty certain he’ll read this one since he has a bull dog and I’ve been rabbiting on about Mark Buehrle to him. I’m certain that once he DOES read this he’ll have additional pearls of wisdom.

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Oh, Beulah land
        Sweet Beulah land…

15. dadawg77 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Is this the first time a player will become a FA for a dog? If my memory of the CBA isn’t wrong, I believe he can demand a trade and if he doesn’t get one, he can void his contract.

16. jarathen - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I could never imagine spending as much time away from family as ballplayers do. Those millions won’t let you tuck your children into bed at night when your a thousand miles away.

• krispc - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM

There are sales guys and consultants who spend more time than that on the road and they don’t make 10-14 million doing it… Depending on where his family lives in Florida he will seem them for about 1-2 weeks when they play Tampa plus there is the all star break. Not to mention he can fly them anywhere to hook up..

If not then he can retire based upon the money he has made during his career. He makes more in one year than most people make in a lifetime…

17. dfrench23 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Is a viszla considered a pitbull for some reason? The article says “the family’s three vizslas, Drake, Diesel and Duke” but I googled vizsla and it doesn’t look ANYTHING like a pitbull.

• cur68 - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Buehrle has three Vizslas (which are hungarian bird dogs) AND a bull dog breed (named Slater). The sourced article in the blockquote isn’t too clear about that, but I inferred that “Slater” is in fact the name of the pitbull and not a wife or child name.

Hope that helps.

• dfrench23 - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Yes, thanks.

18. ezthinking - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Maybe get a place in NY such as Niagara Falls or Buffalo or the like. It’s 80-100 miles to Toronto, but at least visits would be easier.

19. sophiethegreatdane - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Whose business is it for anyone outside Mark’s family to pass judgement on a very personal decision regarding a member of their family?

Lets also not forget, many professionals spend significantly more time on the road away from our families than Mark will while playing baseball. I’d love to have six months at home. And by at home, I mean *off*.

Sophie the Great Dane — the sweetest, funniest, most loyal dog I’ve ever known — misses me when I’m gone, but would be absolutely heart broken if I simply gave her up because of my job; I’d be heart broken too.

• Old Gator - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Thanks for stating the obvious, Sophie. It’s nobody’s goddamned business but the Buehrle’s.

20. Stiller43 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Its a few months and then the rest of the offseason he’s back with his family…whats the big deal? I would do the same thing

21. stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

What I find most frightening/appalling is Ontario doesn’t allow Pit Bulls.

Take Note: Big Brother is great!

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Boooo!

/throws popcorn

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Really? So you are okay with Big Brother telling you what dog you can or can not have?
        Fair enough I guess. But…wow.
        First…it’s the gdg.
        Then…it’s the campground!

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I think you took it a little far there, but FYI, I live in the red reddest red state and it’s mandatory here to get your dog fixed unless you are approved for a breeder’s license…and also to keep it on a leash. Regulations aren’t always bad & every place has them.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM

“I think you took it a little far there.”
        Not in this case Philiac. They are telling you what dog you can or can not have.

“it’s mandatory here to get your dog fixed unless you are approved for a breeder’s license”
        “and also to keep it on a leash”

The two examples you use are responsible legislation/regulation. I see no problem with it.
        But mandating the breed of canine? What’s next? Allowing Soda’s in excess of 16 oz?

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Ok, we’re gonna agree to disagree on that one. I just don’t feel entitled to everything. There’s a difference between “wants” and “rights.”

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM

“There’s a difference between “wants” and “rights.”
        Please know I agree with this premise.
        I am just really surprised you find no problems with a government telling you what kind of Dog you can have. That doesn’t seem like maybe…just maybe…they are overstepping their boundaries? We aren’t talking about a Giraffe. Or a Black Bear. It’s a dog!

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Ok, my larger point was really not to be going off on the Canadians as Big Brother, but you know, I’m no hater. I’m not tied to one breed. I’m open-minded. I love all kinds (except Dalmatians)…I’ve even owned a couple of cats. I don’t need to have any one sort in particular. lol

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM

LOL! For clarification…I was NOT “going off on Canadians.” I love them! I mean that.
        I used to work with them (and travel to Toronto) frequently. Great people.
        We could learn a lot from them.
        My point was really nothing more than this being one example of many examples of what can (and does) transpire with a nanny state. Once the door is open…the water comes rushing in.

Example:
        Seatbelt laws were enacted. Initially, they would not (and could not) pull you over for merely noticing you weren’t wearing them. If you got pulled over for something else and weren’t wearing your seatbelt you were subject to a ticket.
        My Father stated at the time…”this is just the beginning.” “Once they get their foot in the door it’s not going to be reversed.” “Let’s see how long this lasts.”
        You know what? He was right.
        In less than a years time they were pulling people over for not wearing seat belts.
        And the biggest kicker…
        To this day you do NOT have to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle.
        Not wearing seatbelts in vehicles = terrible…let me ticket you.
        Not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle = okay by me. Carry on.

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM

cat people *sigh*

(he he)

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Bad pet owners are attracted to pitbulls, so these spineless politicians figured banning the breed is easier than banning bad owners from owning any pets.

Moronic beyond belief

• pmcenroe - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM

how would you even go about “banning bad owners from owning any pets”?

22. unlost1 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM

The opposite of Mark being “in the doghouse”> The pit bull is in HIS house!

23. stabonerichard - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM

The family gets to keep the dog and Mark will have greater flexibility to do what pro ball players do.

24. Rich Stowe - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I applaud the Buehrles. Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) doesn’t work.

Dogs are part of the family and I would rather live by myself away from my family and dogs, then give one of them up.

25. jaybird22seven - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM

It’s amazing how many Americans don’t know anything about the country north of them ???

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I agree Jaybird. Sad really.
      Even more sad? We know MORE about the Country South of us.
      Please know that is a reflection on us and not you.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5570)