Feb 7, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
After throwing off a half-mound last week for the first time since shoulder surgery, Michael Pineda is close to taking the next step in his rehab process. According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Yankees pitching coach Larry Rothschild said today that he expects Pineda to progress to his first session off a full mound next week.
“So far, he’s had no setbacks, which is always positive,” he said. “But there’s a long way to go with it, too.”
Pineda is now nine months removed from surgery to repair an anterior labral tear in his right shoulder. The 24-year-old still needs to build his arm strength and will likely require a lengthy minor league rehab assignment, but the Yankees are hopeful that he’ll be ready to pitch in the majors by June or July.
Pineda, who turned 24 last month, had a 3.74 ERA and 173/55 K/BB ratio over 171 innings as a rookie with the Mariners in 2011. The Yankees already project to have CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda, Andy Pettitte, Phil Hughes and Ivan Nova in their starting rotation this season, so finding a spot for a healthy Pineda would be a nice problem to have.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)