Feb 7, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
After throwing off a half-mound last week for the first time since shoulder surgery, Michael Pineda is close to taking the next step in his rehab process. According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Yankees pitching coach Larry Rothschild said today that he expects Pineda to progress to his first session off a full mound next week.
“So far, he’s had no setbacks, which is always positive,” he said. “But there’s a long way to go with it, too.”
Pineda is now nine months removed from surgery to repair an anterior labral tear in his right shoulder. The 24-year-old still needs to build his arm strength and will likely require a lengthy minor league rehab assignment, but the Yankees are hopeful that he’ll be ready to pitch in the majors by June or July.
Pineda, who turned 24 last month, had a 3.74 ERA and 173/55 K/BB ratio over 171 innings as a rookie with the Mariners in 2011. The Yankees already project to have CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda, Andy Pettitte, Phil Hughes and Ivan Nova in their starting rotation this season, so finding a spot for a healthy Pineda would be a nice problem to have.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 50
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 20
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)