Feb 7, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
After throwing off a half-mound last week for the first time since shoulder surgery, Michael Pineda is close to taking the next step in his rehab process. According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Yankees pitching coach Larry Rothschild said today that he expects Pineda to progress to his first session off a full mound next week.
“So far, he’s had no setbacks, which is always positive,” he said. “But there’s a long way to go with it, too.”
Pineda is now nine months removed from surgery to repair an anterior labral tear in his right shoulder. The 24-year-old still needs to build his arm strength and will likely require a lengthy minor league rehab assignment, but the Yankees are hopeful that he’ll be ready to pitch in the majors by June or July.
Pineda, who turned 24 last month, had a 3.74 ERA and 173/55 K/BB ratio over 171 innings as a rookie with the Mariners in 2011. The Yankees already project to have CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda, Andy Pettitte, Phil Hughes and Ivan Nova in their starting rotation this season, so finding a spot for a healthy Pineda would be a nice problem to have.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights