Feb 7, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
After throwing off a half-mound last week for the first time since shoulder surgery, Michael Pineda is close to taking the next step in his rehab process. According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Yankees pitching coach Larry Rothschild said today that he expects Pineda to progress to his first session off a full mound next week.
“So far, he’s had no setbacks, which is always positive,” he said. “But there’s a long way to go with it, too.”
Pineda is now nine months removed from surgery to repair an anterior labral tear in his right shoulder. The 24-year-old still needs to build his arm strength and will likely require a lengthy minor league rehab assignment, but the Yankees are hopeful that he’ll be ready to pitch in the majors by June or July.
Pineda, who turned 24 last month, had a 3.74 ERA and 173/55 K/BB ratio over 171 innings as a rookie with the Mariners in 2011. The Yankees already project to have CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda, Andy Pettitte, Phil Hughes and Ivan Nova in their starting rotation this season, so finding a spot for a healthy Pineda would be a nice problem to have.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (159)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)