Feb 7, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Aviles was traded twice this offseason, going from the Red Sox to the Blue Jays as compensation for manager John Farrell and then going from the Blue Jays to the Indians for Esmil Rogers.
Aviles was basically an everyday player for the Red Sox last season, but hit just .250 with a .663 OPS in 136 games and is slated to be a utility man in Cleveland at age 31. Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that the two-year deal is worth $6 million.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 5
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 54
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 23
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 24
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (92)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)