Feb 7, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
I spoke to a source with Major League Baseball this afternoon who tells me that MLB will investigate Curt Schilling’s claim on ESPN radio yesterday afternoon that a Boston Red Sox employee told him he should take PEDs when he was suffering from shoulder trouble in 2008.
The source did not say what, exactly, would be done, but it’s hard to see how any investigation of this claim does not begin with Schilling himself. Earlier today Schilling said he would not identify who told him to take PEDs in 2008. It will be interesting to see if he is any more forthcoming to the league.
Meanwhile, Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com spoke with a source who thinks Schilling is making a mountain out of a molehill:
… a source familiar with the situation said, “I’m sure if anyone said something like that, it wasn’t meant to be serious. I would bet my bottom dollar on that.”
Also this afternoon, Evan Drellich of MLB.com reported that team president/CEO Larry Lucchino said that the Boston Red Sox will look into the claim itself. As Schilling noted in his interview, however, the person is no longer employed by the Red Sox.
Baseball news has been dominated by drug stories for the past week and change. It looks like it will continue to be so dominated for a while longer. But it is worth observing that Major League Baseball seems as serious about investigating an allegation relating to team personnel and PEDs as it is in investigating players who allegedly used. Which is a good thing.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)