Feb 7, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
Dayn Perry of CBS Sports.com makes an excellent freaking observation: despite having all of the Biogenesis records at its disposal, the Miami New Times limited its reporting of players’ names to those clearly associated with PEDs in the records. They redacted and did not report the names of Ryan Braun, Jhonny Peralta and those players named in the past few days by other outlets. They explain their reasoning here.
I agree with Dayn that this does not mean that those who have reported other names have acted irresponsibly. Indeed, every report (as opposed to secondary, hand-wringing opinion) has been careful to note that names like Braun’s appear in the records — a clear fact — but are not linked to specific PEDs. At the same time, however, the mere fact that those names are there has cultivated suspicion and accusations regarding them that no matter what ever else arises out of all of this will forever associate them with a PED story.
Was the Miami New Times overly cautious? Maybe. But given how badly PED accusations stain players’ reputations, the caution seems well-warranted. And even if those names are going to inevitably come out, the distinction between those who are specifically linked to PEDs in the documents and those who are not is one that should be noted as often as possible.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)