Quote of the Day: Russ Canzler, ever the optimist

Feb 7, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT

russ canzler getty Getty Images

We’ve followed Russ Canzler‘s multiple DFAs and multiple failures to clear waivers. Seems he’s got a pretty good attitude about it:

“It’s been fun,” Canzler said. “I was thinking about buying all the hats of the teams I’ve been on this winter.”

That’s from Jordan Bastian’s feature on Canzler, the man of many teams, over at MLB.com.

And really, he does appear to have a great attitude about it, even beyond that thing about the caps. He talks about how, hey, if he keeps getting claimed, people realize he’s valuable.

Always look on the bright side of life. [whistle, whistle whistle whistle]

1. mazblast - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:06 PM

He should wear #40, since that’s what he seems to be on each team’s 40-man roster. Or perhaps #41?

2. DJ MC - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I guess he’s going to write the baseball version of Can I Keep My Jersey?

3. 13arod - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM

he should wear #30 for all the teams in the league

4. crankyfrankie - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM

He should be commended for his sunny outlook.

• Old Gator - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM

‘Course one of the lyrics is “Life’s a piece of shit when you look at it that way.”

5. nategearhart - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Wait wait wait, the teams that claim him don’t even give him a hat?

6. paint771 - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:49 PM

What’s funny too is Russ is actually a decent player. He’s got a damn sight more potential than probably 400 guys on MLB 40-man rosters right now. Sure, he may be a AAAA guy, but still, dude hit 314/.401/.530 in triple-A at 25, has an MLB line of .271/.304/.396 in 570 PAs, can play like five positions passably (OF and 1B, 3B a stretch), and is 26. And, for what it’s worth, seems a helluva nice guy.

I mean yeah, he probably won’t set the world on fire, and may not even be cut out as an everyday starter, but still, I’d have been perfectly okay with him staying in Toronto as the 25th man or on a AAA starting contract.

I’m rooting for him.

• paperlions - Feb 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I am not saying I am not rooting for Canzler, he seems like a great guy, but:

1) He only has 102 career MLB PAs with the slash line you put up

2) That slash line equates to a 91 wRC+, which is horrible for a guys whose defense is restricted to 1B or corner OF spot.

3) Potential is the reason he keeps being waived. He doesn’t have much. Yes, he is probably better now than 100s of guys on 40 man rosters will every be, but most of those guys have the potential to be better than Canzler has the potential to be. He’ll be 27 in April, there isn’t any projection left.

7. thedripfeed - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:25 PM

He gets paid to play baseball….it does not get much better than that..

• sportsdrenched - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Exactly, I would trade my current job in an office to be DFA’d by several different teams over the winter. I mean, the WORST that’s going to happen is I’ll end up on a AAA roster still playing baseball after I spend 6 weeks in Florida or Arizona.

• albertmn - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I don’t know that I would go quite that far. I would trade a couple seasons at the major league minimum for my job, as a couple seasons there would be more than I would make in a decade or two. But, I would not trade it for AAA and getting dropped constantly. I don’t think AAA pays that well, and if he is 27, he will likely only get a couple more years in the minors before they move on to younger guys (if he can’t make the majors).

8. abaird2012 - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM

What IS the AAA minimum, anyway?

9. beachnbaseball - Feb 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM

This leads to the question of what hat will he wear on his HOF plaque?

10. foreverchipper10 - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Dude also played high school baseball in Hazleton, PA. I think we all know a pretty damn good MLB manager who is from that town. Mr. Joe Maddon.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3959)