Feb 7, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Of course, after paying him $11.625 million for this season the Red Sox will hold a $13 million team option on Lester for 2014, so there’s no real sense of urgency.
With that said, if the Red Sox are confident that Lester will bounce back from a career-worst season they could certainly save some money by trying to lock him up long term now. After four straight seasons with a sub-3.50 ERA his ERA ballooned to 4.82 ERA last year as Lester saw his strikeout rate plummet and allowed opponents to hit .273 off him.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)