Feb 7, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Of course, after paying him $11.625 million for this season the Red Sox will hold a $13 million team option on Lester for 2014, so there’s no real sense of urgency.
With that said, if the Red Sox are confident that Lester will bounce back from a career-worst season they could certainly save some money by trying to lock him up long term now. After four straight seasons with a sub-3.50 ERA his ERA ballooned to 4.82 ERA last year as Lester saw his strikeout rate plummet and allowed opponents to hit .273 off him.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 19
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 7
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 41
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)