Skip to content

Red Sox haven’t approached Jon Lester about extension

Feb 7, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

Jon Lester told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that the Red Sox have not talked to him about negotiating a long-term contract extension as he enters the final guaranteed year of his current deal.

Of course, after paying him $11.625 million for this season the Red Sox will hold a $13 million team option on Lester for 2014, so there’s no real sense of urgency.

With that said, if the Red Sox are confident that Lester will bounce back from a career-worst season they could certainly save some money by trying to lock him up long term now. After four straight seasons with a sub-3.50 ERA his ERA ballooned to 4.82 ERA last year as Lester saw his strikeout rate plummet and allowed opponents to hit .273 off him.

  1. crispybasil - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM

    It’ll be interesting to see if the reunion with John Farrell helps Lester regain any of his lost form. And if Lester will finally drop the attitude whenever a close call doesn’t go his way.

  2. proudlycanadian - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM

    Go ahead. Just offer him $39 million over 3 years!

    • uyf1950 - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

      I second that.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Featured video

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
  1. G. Stanton (3720)
  2. A. Rizzo (2564)
  3. B. Belt (2433)
  4. R. Castillo (2253)
  5. J. Hamilton (2149)
  1. C. Young (2116)
  2. A. Pujols (2051)
  3. B. Gardner (2040)
  4. H. Ryu (2017)
  5. E. Gattis (1862)