Feb 7, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
UPDATE: The deal is worth between $5-7 million and includes an option for 2014, according to Scott Boeck of USA Today.
7:46 PM: This isn’t quite on the level of the big Felix Hernandez news, but FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Mariners have signed left-hander Joe Saunders to a one-year contract, pending a physical. No word yet on the terms involved.
Saunders was reportedly holding out for a multi-year deal this offseason, but his market clearly didn’t develop as hoped. The Orioles and Twins were also mentioned as possible landing spots in recent weeks, but apparently the Mariners had the best offer on the table.
Saunders owns a 4.15 ERA over eight seasons in the majors, including a 4.07 ERA and 112/39 K/BB ratio over 174 2/3 innings last season between the Diamondbacks and Orioles. The 31-year-old will essentially fill the spot of fellow southpaw Jason Vargas, who was traded to the Angels earlier this winter in the Kendrys Morales deal.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 0
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 21
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)