Feb 7, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is worth between $5-7 million and includes an option for 2014, according to Scott Boeck of USA Today.
7:46 PM: This isn’t quite on the level of the big Felix Hernandez news, but FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Mariners have signed left-hander Joe Saunders to a one-year contract, pending a physical. No word yet on the terms involved.
Saunders was reportedly holding out for a multi-year deal this offseason, but his market clearly didn’t develop as hoped. The Orioles and Twins were also mentioned as possible landing spots in recent weeks, but apparently the Mariners had the best offer on the table.
Saunders owns a 4.15 ERA over eight seasons in the majors, including a 4.07 ERA and 112/39 K/BB ratio over 174 2/3 innings last season between the Diamondbacks and Orioles. The 31-year-old will essentially fill the spot of fellow southpaw Jason Vargas, who was traded to the Angels earlier this winter in the Kendrys Morales deal.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)