Feb 7, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Rich Hill, who came back from elbow problems to pitch well down the stretch for the Red Sox last season, has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Indians that includes an invitation to spring training.
Hill has been plagued by arm problems throughout his career, but when healthy he’s shown the potential to be a valuable reliever with a 1.14 ERA and 10.2 strikeouts per nine innings in limited MLB action from 2010-2012.
Cleveland already had a relatively deep group of bullpen options in place, but Hill could work his way into a middle relief or left-handed specialist gig.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12