Feb 7, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Rich Hill, who came back from elbow problems to pitch well down the stretch for the Red Sox last season, has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Indians that includes an invitation to spring training.
Hill has been plagued by arm problems throughout his career, but when healthy he’s shown the potential to be a valuable reliever with a 1.14 ERA and 10.2 strikeouts per nine innings in limited MLB action from 2010-2012.
Cleveland already had a relatively deep group of bullpen options in place, but Hill could work his way into a middle relief or left-handed specialist gig.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4