Feb 7, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Rich Hill, who came back from elbow problems to pitch well down the stretch for the Red Sox last season, has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Indians that includes an invitation to spring training.
Hill has been plagued by arm problems throughout his career, but when healthy he’s shown the potential to be a valuable reliever with a 1.14 ERA and 10.2 strikeouts per nine innings in limited MLB action from 2010-2012.
Cleveland already had a relatively deep group of bullpen options in place, but Hill could work his way into a middle relief or left-handed specialist gig.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 15
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)