Feb 7, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Steve Garvey has always portrayed himself as a mogul. While he famously declared himself broke back in the late 80s, he was part of a group bidding on the Dodgers last year and he’s done the whole positive-thinking motivational speaker thing. One wonders, though, if he’s doing as well as he’d have you believe.
One wonders that because, as Vin Scully is my Homeboy reports, Garvey is auctioning off all kinds of his stuff. His MVP trophy. All-Star rings. Championship rings and much more.
Just because someone auctions things off doesn’t mean they are broke. Kirk Gibson auctioned some things a year or two ago, some of which went to himself but some of which went to his charity. There can be any reason. But it certainly gives one pause to see this sort of thing.
Maybe he should ride with Todd Helton down to get lottery tickets or something.
(thanks to Mike S. for the heads up)
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)