Feb 7, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Steve Garvey has always portrayed himself as a mogul. While he famously declared himself broke back in the late 80s, he was part of a group bidding on the Dodgers last year and he’s done the whole positive-thinking motivational speaker thing. One wonders, though, if he’s doing as well as he’d have you believe.
One wonders that because, as Vin Scully is my Homeboy reports, Garvey is auctioning off all kinds of his stuff. His MVP trophy. All-Star rings. Championship rings and much more.
Just because someone auctions things off doesn’t mean they are broke. Kirk Gibson auctioned some things a year or two ago, some of which went to himself but some of which went to his charity. There can be any reason. But it certainly gives one pause to see this sort of thing.
Maybe he should ride with Todd Helton down to get lottery tickets or something.
(thanks to Mike S. for the heads up)
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)