Feb 7, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Steve Garvey has always portrayed himself as a mogul. While he famously declared himself broke back in the late 80s, he was part of a group bidding on the Dodgers last year and he’s done the whole positive-thinking motivational speaker thing. One wonders, though, if he’s doing as well as he’d have you believe.
One wonders that because, as Vin Scully is my Homeboy reports, Garvey is auctioning off all kinds of his stuff. His MVP trophy. All-Star rings. Championship rings and much more.
Just because someone auctions things off doesn’t mean they are broke. Kirk Gibson auctioned some things a year or two ago, some of which went to himself but some of which went to his charity. There can be any reason. But it certainly gives one pause to see this sort of thing.
Maybe he should ride with Todd Helton down to get lottery tickets or something.
(thanks to Mike S. for the heads up)
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 0
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)