Feb 7, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Steve Garvey has always portrayed himself as a mogul. While he famously declared himself broke back in the late 80s, he was part of a group bidding on the Dodgers last year and he’s done the whole positive-thinking motivational speaker thing. One wonders, though, if he’s doing as well as he’d have you believe.
One wonders that because, as Vin Scully is my Homeboy reports, Garvey is auctioning off all kinds of his stuff. His MVP trophy. All-Star rings. Championship rings and much more.
Just because someone auctions things off doesn’t mean they are broke. Kirk Gibson auctioned some things a year or two ago, some of which went to himself but some of which went to his charity. There can be any reason. But it certainly gives one pause to see this sort of thing.
Maybe he should ride with Todd Helton down to get lottery tickets or something.
(thanks to Mike S. for the heads up)
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP