Feb 7, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Steve Garvey has always portrayed himself as a mogul. While he famously declared himself broke back in the late 80s, he was part of a group bidding on the Dodgers last year and he’s done the whole positive-thinking motivational speaker thing. One wonders, though, if he’s doing as well as he’d have you believe.
One wonders that because, as Vin Scully is my Homeboy reports, Garvey is auctioning off all kinds of his stuff. His MVP trophy. All-Star rings. Championship rings and much more.
Just because someone auctions things off doesn’t mean they are broke. Kirk Gibson auctioned some things a year or two ago, some of which went to himself but some of which went to his charity. There can be any reason. But it certainly gives one pause to see this sort of thing.
Maybe he should ride with Todd Helton down to get lottery tickets or something.
(thanks to Mike S. for the heads up)
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)