Terry Collins wants Johan Santana to be his Opening Day starter

Feb 7, 2013, 3:34 PM EST

Johan Santana Getty Images

I guess as long as he doesn’t throw a no hitter in his last spring training start it’ll be OK. From ESPN New York:

If Johan Santana is ready to go, and Terry Collins does not expect otherwise, Collins tenatively intends for the southpaw to start on Opening Day, April 1 against the San Diego Padres at Citi Field.

“My guess is that’s what it’ll be,” Collins told ESPNNewYork.com.

Santana was 6-9 with a 4.85 ERA last year and was shut down down the stretch with back problems.  He’s supposed to be healthy now. It’s been five years since he had a full season’s worth of starts.

1. pmcenroe - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Is it wrong of me to fantasize about the Twins signing him next offseason after having a decent but healthy year? I mean no way they pick up his $25 mil option, and no way he hits the benchmarks to make it a player option right?

• thebadguyswon - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM

There’s no way he comes back to the Mets in 2014, so I could see the Twins getting him.

• jwbiii - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM

2014 club option becomes player option if Santana:
      wins Cy Young award from 2008-13 and finishes second or third in the Cy Young vote in one other season
      ranks second or third in Cy Young vote in any 3 seasons, 2008-13
      is on the active roster for the final 30 days of 2013 season, and:
      pitches 215 innings in 2013, or
      pitches 420 innings in 2012-13, or
      pitches 630 innings in 2011-13

Santana finished 3rd in the Cy Young voting in 2008, so he would have to win the award in 2013 or pitch 215 innings. Extremely unlikely.

• jwbiii - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I should read my own cut’n’pastes. He needs to win the Cy Young Award.

2. greenhost - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Reblogged this on mosyath's Blog.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Thank you. We care.

3. Francisco (FC) - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM

It’s been five years since he had a full season’s worth of starts.

Instead he’s had five years with full season’s worth of stops!

4. foreverchipper10 - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I remember when he came to the Mets and all I could think was “oh, shit”. It is really sad to see how far he has fallen due to injuries because he was nothing short of dominant as a twinkie. I hope he looks more like the Johan of old this year.

1. F. Rodriguez (2721)