Feb 7, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
As soon as word surfaced this afternoon that the Mariners and Felix Hernandez were on the verge of a record $175 million extension, many speculated that Dodgers left-hander Clayton Kershaw could eventually push the $200 million mark. We’ll have to wait to find out, but Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times this evening that there is “mutual interest” in getting something done.
“This is not going to be a daily discussion point for us publicly,” Colletti said. “But there is a mutual interest.”
Colletti wouldn’t confirm whether the two sides have begun negotiations, but he said earlier this winter that he could look into the matter after addressing the team’s needs in free agency. Kershaw, who turns 25 in March, is under contract for $11 million in 2013 and will be eligible for free agency following the 2014 season.
Justin Verlander and David Price also figure to do very well with their next contracts, but given Kershaw’s age and the Dodgers’ free-spending ways, he might be best-positioned to be the game’s first $200 million hurler.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
Adrian Beltre humorously sent an invoice to Garrett Richards for the three bats he broke on Friday.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
Freddy Galvis threw his hat into the ring as an early contender for Play of the Year.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright suffered an apparent Achilles injury after hitting a pop-up in Saturday’s game against the Brewers.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
The Dodgers’ thin bullpen could get even thinner if Joel Peralta needs to go on the disabled list.
Apr 25, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
The Rays designated slugger Allan Dykstra for assignment to make room for Everett Teaford on Saturday.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Watch Kevin Plawecki swat his first major league homer.
Apr 25, 2015, 5:21 PM EDT
But it’s not Rusney Castillo time yet.
Apr 25, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
The Marlins have stumbled out of the gate with a disappointing 6-11 record, but they entered play today on a three-game win streak and here’s some good news about their rehabbing ace.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:27 PM EDT
Fanning was involved in baseball for more than 60 years.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:01 PM EDT
It’s of utmost importance that this happens.
Apr 25, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
It looked like the Blue Jays had one of the best young left-handed pitchers in the game after Romero compiled a 3.60 (119 ERA+) across his first three seasons in the majors, but his career veered off track after 2011 due to control problems and knee issues.
Apr 25, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
Albers suffered a compression fracture of a finger on his throwing hand during Thursday’s brawl.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
The Rangers will reportedly only be responsible for less than $7 million of Hamilton’s remaining contract.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:58 PM EDT
Anthony Rendon suffered a sprained MCL in his left knee in early March, but he’s finally close to joining the Nationals.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Surgery will likely cost him 4-6 weeks.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
TJ House will start in his place against Detroit.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Six players were suspended for Thursday’s benches-clearing brawl between the White Sox and Royals. Yordano Ventura got the longest suspension with seven games.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:01 PM EDT
Nelson Cruz just keeps on mashing for the Mariners.
Apr 25, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Five players were ejected after Thursday’s benches-clearing brawl between the White Sox and Royals, but there was also some drama behind the scenes.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
Could a trip to the disabled list be in Yasiel Puig’s future?
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)