Feb 7, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
As soon as word surfaced this afternoon that the Mariners and Felix Hernandez were on the verge of a record $175 million extension, many speculated that Dodgers left-hander Clayton Kershaw could eventually push the $200 million mark. We’ll have to wait to find out, but Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times this evening that there is “mutual interest” in getting something done.
“This is not going to be a daily discussion point for us publicly,” Colletti said. “But there is a mutual interest.”
Colletti wouldn’t confirm whether the two sides have begun negotiations, but he said earlier this winter that he could look into the matter after addressing the team’s needs in free agency. Kershaw, who turns 25 in March, is under contract for $11 million in 2013 and will be eligible for free agency following the 2014 season.
Justin Verlander and David Price also figure to do very well with their next contracts, but given Kershaw’s age and the Dodgers’ free-spending ways, he might be best-positioned to be the game’s first $200 million hurler.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:49 AM EST
Paulino was once a young power with lots of upside, but injuries have repeatedly derailed his career.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:20 AM EST
LaHair looks destined to go down as one of the least successful All-Stars of all time.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
He’s entering the final year of his contract.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
Must-click material from Jorge Arangure of Vice Sports
Jan 30, 2015, 8:43 AM EST
Even second tier relievers are in demand in the offseason.
Jan 30, 2015, 7:23 AM EST
I’ve heard of teams insulting players after they left, but never at their introductory press conference.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:50 PM EST
High-spending teams like the Yankees and Red Sox are among the favorites to sign Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada, but the Rays are also interested even if it’s fair to call them a long shot.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:21 PM EST
Beachy is currently 10 months removed from the second Tommy John surgery of his career.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:02 PM EST
Cotts compiled a 2.84 ERA in 131 appearances with the Rangers over the past two seasons.
Jan 29, 2015, 7:04 PM EST
Billingsley hasn’t pitched in the majors since undergoing Tommy John surgery in April of 2013.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:45 PM EST
Add another name to the list of fifth starter candidates for the Braves.
Jan 29, 2015, 5:42 PM EST
Nava requested $2.25 million and the Red Sox countered at $1.3 million.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
I guess it’s better than snakes. Or wasps.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
Santiago spent last season with the Reds, hitting .246 with a .667 OPS in 75 games.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:31 PM EST
Belisario was awful for the White Sox last season, allowing 46 runs in 66 innings.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
This is funny. But also insightful.
Jan 29, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Does this man look like he’d be a friend of a guy like Pete Carroll? Welp, he is.
Jan 29, 2015, 12:45 PM EST
He’ll work with union chief Tony Clark.
Jan 29, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
We can, from now and forever, refer to Werth as the “The Nationals’ ex-con right fielder.”
Jan 29, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
Brad Pitt was too young to portray him, though. Maybe Kevin Kline could’ve?
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)