Todd Helton got a DUI while going to buy lottery tickets

Feb 7, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

todd helton dui mugshot

Todd Helton was arrested late Tuesday night and charged with driving under the influence, leading to a mugshot with his eyes closed and a pair of very contrite official statements from the Rockies and the 39-year-old first baseman.

In his statement Helton claimed to have been “driving to a gas station near my house.” And sure enough, according to the police report obtained by TMZ he was driving to a gas station to buy lottery tickets.

Seriously. Here’s more from TMZ.com:

According to the report, cops tracked down Helton after receiving a tip that Todd’s black Ford F150 had struck a median and then parked at a nearby gas station.

When cops arrived to the scene, police say they saw Helton stumbling out of the gas station — stinking of booze — and clutching lottery tickets in his hand.

Cops say Helton denied striking a median … but “made spontaneous statements about drinking two igloo cups of red wine.”

Drinking and driving is anything but funny, but drinking igloo cups of red wine and going to a gas station at 2:30 a.m. to get lottery tickets is quite the combination for a professional athlete with more than $150 million in career earnings.

1. jcmeyer10 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I guess he was feelin’ lucky in more than one way.

• binarymath - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Yep, and one look at the photo proves he’s in the best shape of his life!

2. cur68 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Those are igloo cups down there? Huh. In this neck of the woods THESE are igloo cups…

Well, to go with goofiest MLB Mugshot I think Helton now also has goofiest MLB Mugshot reason. Just when you thought Coco Crisp and his “Secret Service Agents” couldn’t be beat, eh?

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

The only way this gets worse is if it was actually good wine he was drinking…or if Carlton Fisk was passed out in the cab.

3. pmcenroe - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Millionaire athlete gets DUI after driving his truck to the gas station to buy lottery tickets after drinking wine out of paper cups.

I guess they are right, you can take the man out of Tennessee but you can’t take the Tennesse out of the man.

• slickdemetrius - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Perhaps he was so wasted, he forgot who he was. I’ll believe that theory more so if it’s found he was wearing a moomoo and smoking cigarettes.

4. ame123 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I bet it was the scratch-off kind.

• randall351 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Nah probably pull tabs, more redneck.

5. Shafer's Dealer - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

This the first time he got caught. He just happened to not kill/hurt anyone.
    The original post on this is full of moron fanboys defending his actions calling it a “one-time mistake” Get your head out of your ass. If you drink “igloo cups of wine” your a drunk.

Lots of people make “one-time mistakes” that carry a lifetime and more of repercussions.

If you defend his actions, lets meet so I can make a “one-time mistake” and throat punch you, at least that would be a voluntary action on both ends…

• monkeyjuice313 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I don’t recall anyone defending his actions. It sounds like, as many people do, he may have a drinking problem. He made a dumb decision. Not sure, but you may have an anger problem. Threatening to meet people on a comment page and throat punching them? C’mon man!

Helton did a dumb thing. There is no excuse. Thank God he didn’t kill anyone. I hope he learns.

• bolweevils2 - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Perhaps he has an anger problem, but perhaps there is an understandable reason for such anger on this issue if he has lost a loved one to a drunk driver. Given that possibility, I’m inclined to cut him some slack on the issue.

• monkeyjuice313 - Feb 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Losing a loved one to a drunk driver is definitely means for anger, and hurt, but not threats. Helton, and any person who drinks and drives puts a lot of people in an uncomfortable situation. No one who has drank and drove, whether they got caught or not, can change what they’ve done. I am upset with Helton just as I am upset with myself. I see the story about Delanie Walker and think of how I was thankful no one was hurt or killed in my younger years, but not everyone can say that. It’s an obvious problem because deaths do happen, and drinking and driving is way more common than it should be. As long as bars are open until 2am and people are addicted the problem will never go away.

6. icanspeel - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Weird since he pretty much already hit the lottery by becoming a very successful baseball player.

7. datdangdrewdundunituhgin - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

was it wine in a box?

• binarymath - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM

otherwise known as “cardboardeaux”

8. professormaddog31 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Red Solo cup, Todd fills you up, let’s have a party!

9. ame123 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Also Ford F150? Kind of a weak ride for a dude that raked in so much dough.

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Another truck snob. This place is lousy with them.

• paperlions - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM

C’mon now, all trucks are not created equal…if you want a truck, pretty much every option is better than an F-150.

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM

This argument is lost on me. You might as well be discussing the superiority of brands of wine coolers, corn dogs, or t-shirts, as far as I’m concerned.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Oh my lord! Again with the damn F-150 cracks.
        Look…F-150’s suck ass. Ford’s (in general) suck ass.
        But the dude is a country boy. Country boy’s drive trucks.
        They don’t drive BMW’s…they don’t drive a Mercedes…they don’t drive a silly ass tricked out Impala with gold rims…they drive trucks.

As one hilljack I know alwasy says…
        “Watts da’ point a dryvin’ a veeehickle if you’s caint’ haul no wood in it?”

Plus…he probable does camp, LOL!

10. deathmonkey41 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Did he just finish watching, “Here comes Honey-Boo-Boo” before he left to get the lottery tickets?

11. Gobias Industries - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I only drink my red wine out of an empty soda can like my classy Uncle Frank Reynolds taught me.

• handsofsweed - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Rum Haaaaaaaaammmmm!!

12. kirkvanhouten - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM

You can take the boy out of the white trash….

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Turns out pmcenroe made basically this exact joke 12 minutes before me. I hereby apologize for my unintended plagiarism.

• monkeyjuice313 - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Typical Kirk VanHouten. Go back to work at your father-in-law’s cracker factory.

13. Glenn - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I’ll bet his real reason for being out was to pick up a tobacco product of some sort. It is not unusual for a reformed tobacco user to relapse after drinking too much.

14. whatthehellisansky - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Wow – this is the kind of story you read twice because you simply cant believe it.

On a different note – when do they pull the lotto numbers in colorado?

Would be pretty funny/ironic if he won..

• historiophiliac - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Bet he’d have to donate the winnings to charity then.

15. slickdemetrius - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Strange, he resembles “Sully” from Third Watch in that mugshot.

16. natslady - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM

So, does he have a drinking problem or a gambling problem?

17. stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Serious question:
    How did they arrest him for DUI if they saw him “stumble” out of the gas station?

• johnstjc - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

my guess is they checked a security camera feed…i was thinking the same thing at first

• jcmeyer10 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

In PA you can be arrested for a DUI well after you are done driving if someone reports it. Kinda messed but it depends on where you live.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

How do they prove you were driving based on a report?
        How do they know someone isn’t lying?
        What about a person with a vendetta?

Example:
        You don’t like me. You somehow know I am home getting shit faced.
        You report for for DUI. Cops arrive at my house…I am intoxicated. But I am home.
        How do they know I wasn’t home all evening?

• jcmeyer10 - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Yah, that’s what happened to the guy I know. Neighbor didn’t like him so they reported him. Said he went to a party and saw him near his home driving erratically. They breathalized him at his front door, he blew over the limit and he got a DUI.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Unbelievable!
        I don’t see how they can give him a DUI if he wasn’t driving. Where’s the proof?
        Otherwise…it’s “he said…she said.”

Public intoxication maybe…but a DUI? Again…he wasn’ driving. He was on his front porch.
        It seems even a bad lawyer would get this thrown out.

18. digbysellers - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM

He looks like he was going out to get donuts…geez Helton, ride a bike or something.

• jcmeyer10 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Yah, he would have tipped over well before he got out of his driveway.

19. El Bravo - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM

1. Murray Chass – Chass, a mere blogger, will give up his undeserved HOF vote, but only after attempting to vote in Jack Morris. Whether or not Morris deserves it is beside the point. He’s sticking it to all other HOF eligible players as a consequence. Total Chasshole move, bro.
    2. BBWAA – The Baseball Writers Association of America is a conglomerate of douchenozzles, many of which no longer write about baseball, but yet still have more say on the subject than the biggest baseball fans out there. A total clusterdouche. As opposed to entering each voter as a DN individually, which would be unfair to the non-DNs within the group, the entire organization will be granted passage into douchenozzledom as a whole.
    3. Todd Helton – For getting a DUI while going out briefly to buy lottery tickets. Lottery tickets? Yes, lottery tickets.

20. mgavin78 - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Good lawyer gets him off the cops did not see him driving at all.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM

That was precisely my point Gavin. But John brings up a good point as well.
      If security cameras captured him driving that could be good enough.
      I know each State varies…
      But in my State you have to be in the vehicle with the keys in the ignition.
      First rule of thumb whenever you are stupid enough to make a dumb decision like driving while intoxicated…take. the. keys. out. of. the. ignition.
      I know lots of people who realized (after they were already on the road)…they shouldn’t be driving.
      So…they pull over and remove the keys from the ignition.

• jcmeyer10 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM

In PA, you can be arrested if someone reports to have seen you driving erratically and are drunk when the police show up and give you a breathalizer. It’s silly but you never know if it could be an effective way to catch folks after the fact.

• jcmeyer10 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Also, lived in CO for 5 years but never drove drunk so, yah, not an attorney or anything.

21. jayquintana - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Even Manti Te’o’s going, “this story is weird.”

• jcmeyer10 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

No Te’o just wishes all he had to do was apologize for a DUI.

22. mcqphx - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:11 AM